All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Scared to Eat at Work
      #276812 - 08/02/06 09:53 PM
DebbyLuv

Reged: 08/02/06

Hi I am new to this website, but my social worker who I see for the IBS said it was a good idea to join a support group. Well here it goes.... I have had IBS for over 10 years. Throughout the years I have had many of jobs I lost because of it. I now a have a good career and I don't want to spoil it, I am doing very good in my career as a paralegal. However, I wish to not eat while at work....the reason for it is that since I had lost so many jobs in the past due to the IBS and having accidents on myself at work, I feel it is in my best interest to not eat because I just cannot risk losing this job and disgracing my self anymore. I have gotten used to not eating all day long until I get home from work but it is so hard because I pretty much starve all day, and when I do get home I am so hungry. I do not eat alot but I eat the wrong things when I get home. I dont go eat in restaurants because I am afraid of having an accident, and when I go to any store whether a supermarket like winn dixie or wal-mart or even a small convenience store, I always have to go to bathroom like 4 or 5 times in like an hour. I have serious IBS and don't know how to overcome it. I don't know if its all in my mind because of all the accidents I had in the past or if it's the things I eat. I have had numerous accidents in the past where I was in public places and had to literally hope nobody would be in the restroom so I could wash out my underwear in the sink from the diarrhea. It is too embarrassing. Please help me anybody, I need some suggestions and lots of help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Scared to Eat at Work new
      #276827 - 08/03/06 06:20 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Have you read the principles behind Heather's diet? You shouldn't go all day without eating. Heather recommends eating every few hours. I know when I don't eat all day I get horrible spasms and feel awful...

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#276828 - 08/03/06 06:43 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I used to do this too, not eating during the day and then just eating at night. But it just delayed the attack for me.

I thought I was managing my IBS-D this way (I got through high school and college doing this) but now I realize I was no better off. I had an attack every time I ate, within 30 minutes after starting eating. Once I started using Imodium as a preventative, I could eat "normally." I take 2 before eating, 2 with my first bite, and 2 if I have the slightest twinge after eating. Now I can actually avoid most attacks.

If you haven't tried Imodium this way, I would highly recommend it. There are a lot of us on this site who manage our meals like this, so it might be worth a shot for you to try it this way. Remember to eat small meals (never wolf them down), and avoid insoluble fibers as they can create a lot of painful gas and jumpstart explosive D.

Good luck and all my best,

~nelly~

#276833 - 08/03/06 06:58 AM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

I think Nelly and Michelle have covered the most important bits. You have to eat often and little. Follow heathers diet - see her cheat sheet and definately use the imodium . I couldn`t cope without it.

I recon you should try and do some gentle exercise too.(in your house so you are near a loo) and perhaps try hypnosis because stress and not being able to relax is a massive issue. As for support this place is definately amazing. Good Luck!

Hugs
Jo

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

#276835 - 08/03/06 07:14 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I used to be scared to eat at work too, but now I just eat very small amounts of things that are normally safe for my stomach.. Examples are plain pringles, pretzels, and lipton chicken noodle cup of soup.. I have been here a year and a half and it seems to be working so far...

I would also highly reccommend the hypno cds... they are amazing..

#276846 - 08/03/06 07:43 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Plain Pringles are very high in fat - I think they are something like 65% calories from fat.

Also - the Lipton Chicken Noodle Cup Soup contains egg yolks.

Just for folks still learning about triggers...some people may tolerate these fine.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#276849 - 08/03/06 07:46 AM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

You are not alone, i know exactly how you feel. I work a mail route and there is absolutely no place to use the bathroom if i need too.I bought the IBS diet book that Heather wrote and im in the process of reading it.Hang in there, this site has wonderful support and advice!

#276850 - 08/03/06 07:46 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Dajara,

I'm like you in that respect. I'm fine with Cup-a-Soup and plain Pringles. It's the baked Lay's that mess with me more. Apple sauce was also pretty friendly when I wasn't stable.

I've been thinking about the hypno CDs lately as work has gotten more stressful.

#276858 - 08/03/06 08:05 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, its not good to go all day without eating but I think we are all guilty of it at some point or another! Read through the site, try the imodium and stick with really safe stuff during the day at first like pretzels, or plain bagels and test your boundries slowly.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Snorkie new
      #276904 - 08/03/06 10:30 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

speaking of work ... did you ever decide whether or not to go for your boss's job?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Snorkie new
      #276934 - 08/03/06 11:35 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Yeah, I did. Right now I am interim director. My resume is in with about 10 other peoples' for permanent. We shall see. Thanks for asking.

#277058 - 08/03/06 10:10 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Definitely try Immodium as others have suggested. It definitely helped me, not just with allowing me to eat normally, but also to gain confidence. Once you gain some confidence about eating at work, it really helps. I can't sing its praises enough!

When I started eating at work, I'd go really safe with just white rice and chicken and loads of chamomile tea. Maybe some soy sauce.

As I stabilized more and more on the diet, I began to eat normally (turkey sandwiches, applesauce, bananas, leftovers from dinner, oh and Heather's breads are a god-send!)

Good luck and do try to eat. Even if you just nibble on some saltine crackers I know what it's like. I used to do the same thing and it just ends up hurting you more in the long run.

#278152 - 08/13/06 07:48 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I don't go anywhere without taking safe foods to snack on, and Imodium. And teas. I have found that I get along better at work (or anywhere) if I munch on safe foods throughout the day, and keep something in my system.

Pretzels, sourdough bread, carots, bananas, turkey, and ginger, peppermint, or fennel teas get me through the days.

And your not alone... there's many of us who have messed their drawers! Well, at least me. I shouldn't speak for everyone.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2475

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review