All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
OH MY GOSH HELP ME Parents especially!
      #276533 - 07/31/06 09:00 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Seriously, Kayleigh is having one of her really outgoing days. Translation: It appears I gave the kid a double espresso for breakfast, followed by a few shots of COCAINE for lunch. She has not stopped talking all day, and most of it is directed at me in question form. Why? why not? where? who? How come? When? how long? Why how long?

Can someone make it STOP??? I took her out and about to burn off steam but seriously, it's 10 PM and she's still wired for sound. And LOUD! And when Ig et on her to stop, it's a tantrum then a time out the a sobfest.

I'm not the biggest fan of three. I love my daughter but she is sooooo hyper the last six or seven months that it's EXHAUSTING. I don't feed her gobs of sugar either.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: OH MY GOSH HELP ME Parents especially! new
      #276534 - 07/31/06 09:08 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Wait until she turns 16. That's when all my children decided to stop talking. Stopped talking to me, anyway. Then it starts again around 21 or 22.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#276549 - 08/01/06 04:37 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

See, I stopped talking to my mom at 14, and didn't really start again till my late 20s. So she *could* get lucky.

Re: Yep. My girl turns three Sunday..... new
      #276556 - 08/01/06 05:17 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

She just bellows at the top of her lungs singing, etc. Yikes! Compared to my son she is a spaz!!! I think a playmate is a good idea. She's probably bored. Some constructive play with another peer is a good idea. See if there are clinics you can go to. Here in Ontario we have "The Early Years" and they have free activity drop ins where the parent stays, but they can interact with kids their age. Just an idea.
Another idea is ear plugs. (tee hee! joking!)
Also: Kids are like dogs. You've gotta let them out for a run! Wear her out at the playground!!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#276566 - 08/01/06 06:36 AM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

I can sympathize totally! I have 3 kids - older now (14, 14 & 12), but can remember back when they were little, all the questions, what if's, etc. It IS exhausting. I also did daycare while my kids were small, so if mine weren't asking questions, the daycare kids were! It WILL get better!

Be thankful she's a girl! Right now, I'm facing the boy stuff (farting, burping, gross or stupid jokes) with my 12 year old (especially on car trips). Of course, my husband and other son think it's SOOOO funny. I keep telling my husband that I want ear plugs for my birthday. Half jokingly, half serious!

Even though these days seem never ending, enjoy them! I miss those days when my kids were small! Hang in there!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

#276572 - 08/01/06 07:52 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I feel for ya. Although mine are talkers for boys...mostly, they're hyper. Sometimes I find myself wishing they'd just be quiet or settle down. I know EXACTLY what you're dealing with. AND, although things seem to be going smoothly for you right now, the first 6 mo. after my separation, their behavior got worse. Sometimes, it's just an adjustment of a new situation.

Earplugs!!!!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Ha ha! Yep... new
      #276607 - 08/01/06 12:52 PM
_Willow

I think she is bored. This hyper kid was AFTER going to an indoor playground and playing with a child her age. yikes. She's really bright though and I wonder if I'm not stimulating her enough. Sher's already writing her name, her WHOLE name, like this: KAYLEiGH WEBB...maybe it's time to get to work on reading skills.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

LOL phew, only 13 yearsto go. new
      #276608 - 08/01/06 12:53 PM
_Willow

HA HA! I think I'm ready for school to start again!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

What a difference adequate sleep makes. new
      #276609 - 08/01/06 12:56 PM
_Willow

Man alive. We both woke up soooo much better rested. i ahven't really been rested this summer, knowing how much has transpired.

She was delightful this AM. Now she's off with her daddy and I get a break till 4. Ooh.Sorry, not too impressed with the ex and his lack of time with the kid.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Yes. new
      #276610 - 08/01/06 12:57 PM
_Willow

I think she is adjusting because it has gotten a bit worse since trevor left. There's a lot to get used to. But that's why I'm taking the rest of the summer off-to just BE with her and realx together.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Reading to the Rescue!!!!!! new
      #276695 - 08/02/06 06:36 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

My son is an incredible reader. In JK, he was reading well beyond Grade 2. And not just the words, but FLUENTLY. The funniest thing - he knew all his letters, but when I went to do sight words with him ie. dog cat, Mom, Liam, etc. he wasn't interested. Then one day I pull out a DR. Seuss he's never seen before and he reads the ENTIRE thing. I was totally floored. See what your daughter can do!!!!!

--------------------

Whaaat? new
      #276754 - 08/02/06 01:18 PM
_Willow

See, she is writing all the letters of the alphabet now, and can pick up certain words on signs, and also the word PLAY. And Dora, of course. But I don't know how to begin this. I'm not too kindy educated, and the kids I worked with in SpEd had some basics. i just amn't sure how to put the letters together...she is learning sounds a bit...

I think it'd be soooo cool if she went back to preschool able to read a few words, because I know she'll take off like ajet once she knows, and will be reading Harry Potter in grade one. LOL!

I was reading at an 11.7(Brigance?) by grade four. I'd love to Brigance her! Am I warped?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Whaaat? new
      #276826 - 08/03/06 06:14 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Start with the letter sounds of the consonants. Then the vowels. Game: Say a word and ask her what the first letter is.
Then start with word lists like:
Cat bat hat sat rat mat etc. Start with the aaaat then add the different letters in front of it. It works great with letter blocks, magnets, stamps or whatever. That way, they can see that the AT stays the same, and the beginning of rhte word changes.
Then try other similar lines. Man, pan, ban, can, dan, fan, etc.

Yeah, I was one of those who could write my name by three, and basically read the entire school's library by grade 3/4. My Dad finally started bringing home books from his high school for me to read.
My daughter, just turning 3, could write the first few letters of her name at 2. Scaary.

--------------------

Oh yes, that's Kayleigh... new
      #276987 - 08/03/06 02:23 PM
_Willow

That's a good basis for things. thank you. I just found out that this year not only am I teaching but I get my own French classroom! ooh! Ahh! I can not WAIT to get in there and decorate. I wish I had a key TODAY.

excuse the horrid editing.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by Coookie (08/04/06 12:33 PM)

Re:MAGNEFIQUE, Cherie!!!! new
      #277067 - 08/04/06 07:13 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Bonne chance!! Your OWN classroom! I'm so happy for you. This year will be a real turning point for you - I can just feel it! What grades?
I taught 7 - 13, so any questions you have on class management and discipline, just ask!!! Let me feel useful. I miss teaching terribly sometimes. I think I'm going to try to volunteer next year if I'm healthy enough. I gotta get my teaching fix!!!

BTW - have you read Harry Wong yet? A MUST!

--------------------

Re:MAGNEFIQUE, Cherie!!!! new
      #277152 - 08/04/06 12:32 PM
_Willow

LOL! No, I ahven't read Harry Wong, but he IS on teacher.net plastered everywhere.(nor Harry Potter, what is WRONG with me...)but if you can give me a good ed author you have GOT to read Mel Levine's Myth of Laziness. He's a neurodevelopmental psychologist and has this sort of new slant on cognitive processes and how to tap into a kid's buzz...KWIM? I sound like some coffeehouse poet there, LOL.I know how cerebral you are and that spec. ed was a part of you back in he day so it'd be interesting for you. He lives in the Carolinas and is really fascinating to lsiten to. Sort of a Woody Allen type.

It's a french as a second language poisition, so I'm teaching grades 4-6 FSL and then grade 5 LA and apparently in there somewhere I must be relief for something they haven't nailed down yet. i'm sure like, let's say, 5 FSL classes, plus the LA has got to add me up to a .9FTE at least. We'll see. maybe I'll teach kindergarten PEon fridays to give a teacher a prep or something.

anyhow, i thought I was going to be one of those meandering crazy ladies with a cart full of French supplies...LOL but to know I ahve my OWN space to decorate etc, well that is SOOO exciting!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Fantastique new
      #277158 - 08/04/06 12:41 PM
Flipada

Hey...enjoy getting your room ready. I'm not ready to go back and do mine yet but I understand the excitement.

Did I tell you I'll be teaching French this year, too? Both Spanish and French. I hate that. It's too much for my brain in a day to switch between 3 languages. Arghhh. I don't know what levels yet but they're all high school.

Enjoy!

--------------------
**Lauren**

OMG lauren! Vraiment? Ay carumba! (and I veer off into a rant about men..) new
      #277163 - 08/04/06 12:49 PM
_Willow

That is farrrr too much. i have no idea how Kayleigh switches from Dora the Explorer to her french "Emergency" preschool then back to English. Amazing. I'm going to be working on speaking more French to her.

Sigh, that was a really neat thing about letting her meet jason, he was francophone and only spoke french to his daughter...and kayleigh and he were speaking French and it was so cute.

Actually, on our day out with the girls, someone stopped me and asked "So, does your husband speak only French to your daughters, and you only speak english?" Jason and I looked at each other with this WHAAAATTTT??? look, and I paused and said "Um...uh...Yeah. basically that's how it works. " We got in the car and laughed our butts off.

I broke down and text messaged him to please be safe on his mountain trek this weekend, as I know he's cycling through them in a race this weekend...and told him I'm sending out prayers, but I will still promise to give him his space.

Right away he replied with a thank you and a promise to be careful. That took about 20 pounds off of my heart, because if he was a total jerk, he wouldn't bother to reply, and I think I'd have forgotten him right then and there. Weird how when you're with someone and you DON'T sleep with them they become more meaningful than if you DO in a short time.... So not how the old shannon would operate.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by Coookie (08/04/06 12:52 PM)

Re:What's KWIM? new
      #277170 - 08/04/06 01:15 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

You must read the HARRYS!!!! All of them! I found Harry Wong didn't work the greatest in the beginning as a new teacher, but as I got confidence and tapped into my aggressive side (didn't know I had), it worked very well.
As for Harry Potter - my favourite books EVER (even tops Gone With The Wind!)
Another book : Why Gender Matters. (don't remember the authors) but a fascinating book about how boys and girls learn differently and why they are the way they are.
See if your school/board has a copy of Wong you can borrow.
PS - I met Harry and Rosemary Wong - I went to a workshop of theirs. It was supposed to be only for 1st year teachers in my board, but when my principal saw how disappointed I was (I was a 2nd year and not allowed to go), and knew what a fan I was, he argued to his superiors who allowed me to go. I hugged the man.He was a great principal.

--------------------

Sí and Oui... new
      #277175 - 08/04/06 01:39 PM
Flipada

I know about the languages and kids thing. Mine have refused to learn until now of course that some of their teachers are teaching it. NOW, it's cool.

Glad to hear you're giving Jason the space. Glad he replied quickly. Just don't text too often. Well, you know that already, I'm sure.

So now, it's 4:30 and I'm waiting for the mailman to get here already! Apparently my class schedule is in the mail. I'll finally find out for sure what I'm teaching in Sept!

--------------------
**Lauren**

ha ha, that's too funny. OK I'll read them ALL.... new
      #277194 - 08/04/06 03:57 PM
_Willow

even the potter ones. Somehow I think I'll be forced to read them anyhow this year, teachign REGULAR kids LA.

And KWIM means know what i mean!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

ha ha, we're so excited. new
      #277195 - 08/04/06 04:01 PM
_Willow

I won't text too often. in fact, the next time may be before his next big bike trip, but that's not till sept...so maybe I won't at all. I think he deserves his space as do I. Because of that, it may kill me in the process but I'm going to respect that. he's the first guy who's respected me, my needs and my wishes in the forseeable history of this planet, LOL! though to be honest, Trevor didn't push me for sex either....
but you know, we didn't say I love you until after we'd had sex, he asked me to move in the day we said i love you, and literally two days later we were engaged. MAYBE...but I'm not sure...MAYBE we rushed it. LMAO!! I KNEW it was too fast. See, I do have a pattern of too fast. Reason #54 I respect Jason's boundaries...

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

all lower levels new
      #277208 - 08/04/06 06:02 PM
Flipada

well, the postman came and I have French 1 and Spanish 1 and 2. Boooooring. Oh well, I was looking for an easier year this year as I did Spanish 1-4 last year and it got a little crazy. So, I guess I got what I asked for.

--------------------
**Lauren**

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 374 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6054

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review