All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
It's in the recipe index new
      #27601 - 11/17/03 10:35 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Kristen, Look in the index under Brownies-Fudgy Brownies submitted by Sharon M. That's the one. I personally like using egg white instead of the egg substitute. Using egg white doesn't seem to make it rise as much and gives it a more fudgy texture. Since I'm wheat sensitive I either sub the cup of flour with spelt (old world wheat) or whatever I have on hand, usually rice flour with some added xantham gum. I'm such a sucker for these I pre-mix the dry ingredients and keep a couple of batches, each in their own zip-lock bag, in the fridge--- then when ready to use all I have to do is add the jar of baby food prunes and some egg whites. BTW, if you can handle some fat a GREAT addition is to throw some miniture chocolate chips into the batter. You just can't get to much chocolate, no matter how hard you try!!!!
Kandee

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yep, you're and addict too!! new
      #27602 - 11/17/03 11:01 PM
Kandee

Never tried No-Pudge but have heard they are good. Another good one for the wheat sensitive folks, and even those who just like a good brownie is the Chocolate Truffle Brownie Mix by The Gluten-Free Pantry. They don't rise much. I've served them to my "normal" friends and they like them as well. You can make them full fat, low fat, or (almost) fat free. Like you, I find there is a comforting feeling just knowing a quick brownie mix is around. Don't you just hate it when you get a brownie that is more like cake? Makes you want to slap some frosting on it just to make it richer tasting.............

Ok, so here is my next chocolate confession.......When I really want a QUICK, and I do mean quick fix I get out the can of Ghirardelli "Double Chocolate" Hot chocolate mix and add it to hot water. (Forget the rice/soy/dairy milk if you want to save on calories.) How's that for being a "purist"? .........

Kandee

--------------------

Re: I am completely, utterly addicted to: new
      #27604 - 11/18/03 02:10 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey, we're all sooo similar!

I love chocolate brownies and reading. I'm also addicted to chips (French Fries) - v.bad I know buts its now my major vice!!! How sad... But I can't resist them, especially with ketchup.

Linz

Frosting new
      #27607 - 11/18/03 04:02 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Once last year (before my EFI days! LOL) I was so disappointed in some cake-like brownies that I made fudge 'frosting' with sweetened condensed milk. That perked them right up! LOL

Hmmm....wonder if that would work with the sweetened condensed sub. I'm on a mission now!

No-Pudge new
      #27608 - 11/18/03 04:05 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE No-Pudge Brownies! The only kind I've never liked better was the Krusteaz FF, but they had dairy. But, No-Pudge are excellent! To make them, you just combine the mix with a container of soy yogurt. You'll have to see if you can find them: www.nopudge.com

Re: Frosting new
      #27615 - 11/18/03 07:18 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

i have done the same thing! lol. maybe you could try a mix of powerdered sugar, cocoa, and soy or rice butter. I think this tastes great! OR, you can use the condensed "milk" recipe on the board.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#27616 - 11/18/03 07:19 AM
Shanna

Also ( I haven't checked on this yet ) i think betty crock whipped frosting (whipped-a type you can buy) is low fat and "safe." anyone know?

--------------------

Re: No-Pudge new
      #27617 - 11/18/03 07:21 AM
Shanna

I have seen every single no-pudge flavor, haha. I live in the healthy eating capital of the world. I will have to try them!

--------------------

Re: I am completely, utterly addicted to: new
      #27620 - 11/18/03 08:00 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Coffee (very bad but sometimes great for c!) and chocolat, and cheese, and....well everything bad for IBS!

#27624 - 11/18/03 08:22 AM
Kandee

You go girl!!!! Love your mission !!!!!!!!!!

Would love to put the sweetened condensed sub on brownies........talk about a double whammy! As a kid I used to eat the SCM (Eagle Brand) right out of the can with a spoon. Shear Heaven!!!
I personally have to think low (really low) fat, and no soy and no high fructose corn syrup. Sounds like the sub would work, thanks to Kree and her recipe.

Remember when the recipe was popular where you made a plain cake then poked holes in it and poured Jell-O over it, then chilled it? Wounder if the same would work with the SC milk sub poured over the brownies OR would it just stay mushy because the SCM sub wouldn't set up? (I know some of you are say, "so who cares?, just eat it with a spoon instead of a fork".

My mission right now is to find a (really) low fat recipe for oatmeal date bars. Found one that was Weight Watchers (see below) but still uses to much fat for me. Any suggestions before I make a million batches that are so bad I have to throw them out to the birds?

How'd we get off on this subject?

This obviously needs to be on the recipe board not here.

Before IBS I was ready to turn my kitchen into a closet !!!!

Kandee
---------------------
Oatmeal-Date Bars
From Weight Watchers Magazine, January/February 1998

1 1/2 cups chopped dates
3/4 cup water
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (my thinking is this is a bit much for our IBS type tummies)
1/3 cup stick margarine, softened
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup regular oats
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.

2. Combine dates, water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.

3. Cream margarine. Gradually add brown sugar, beating at medium speed of a mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla; beat well. Combine oats and next 3 ingredients; stir well. Add oat mixture to creamed mixture, stirring until mixture resembles coarse meal.

4. Press 2 cups oat mixture evenly into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray; set remaining oat mixture aside. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.

Yield: 16 bars (serving size: 1 bar).

Note: Store remaining bars into an airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.

Per serving: CAL159 (24 % from fat); PRO 2 g; FAT 4.3 g (SAT 0.8 g); CARB 29.7 g; FIB 2.3 g; CHOL 0 mg; IRON 0.9 mg; SOD 92 mg; CALC 19 mg.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2330 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2722

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review