All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
One more day til my internet's GONE!! Aaaaaaahhhhh!!
      #274229 - 07/16/06 11:42 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Im FINALLY moving into my new student house tomorrow....and so from tomorrow eve I will be INTERNETLESS!! Aaaaahh!! Don't know how I'm going to cope....especially without you lot!! It could be a month....longer...less....I don't know....until we get connected at the new house....Im NOT HAPPY!! Will try and get it sorted as soon as poss...blondie, sinead...I don't even know HOW to get internet connected...any advice?? It's always been done for me here at the halls....

In the new house, we have phone points in our rooms but no phone...and we're not connected...so what do we have to do?? We don't want a landline phone as most people have mobile contracts. We ALL want internet in our rooms though...and there's 5 of us....so what should we do so that the connection is NOT super slow??? I think wireless is easiest...but I wouldn't even know where to start on going about getting that....any help would be greatly appreciated....the sooner I get up and running...THE BETTER!!

--------------------
Natalie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: One more day til my internet's GONE!! Aaaaaaahhhhh!! new
      #274249 - 07/16/06 01:09 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

We have wireless at home. You don't always need a landline, it depends on the company. The first crowd that we got it with had a little dish on our house, and you don't need phonepoints. You'll have to get broadband though. Are all your PCs network connected and do you have wireless cards?

Check out your local broadband suppliers (a google should help- like this one http://www.discover-directory.co.uk/top/broadband.php?adid=202932847) When we got ours it came with a router which is what you need for wireless. They also usually have FAQs on their websites that will tell you what you need..

We'll miss you and promise to text. Now get online ASAP!

--------------------
S.

Blondie did your internet crash on you??? new
      #274255 - 07/16/06 03:10 PM
Natalie1985

I saw you were online posting a reply to this post and then you were gone!! Am guessing the naughty computer might have crashed has it?? I know you will have lots of helpful advice over then internet being the queen of all knowledge that you are

--------------------
Natalie

Re: One more day til my internet's GONE!! Aaaaaaahhhhh!! new
      #274256 - 07/16/06 03:26 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Nightmare!

Getting online should be pretty easy, though I'm not 100% sure about being able to get broadband without a landline - unless you have satellite (expensive) or install cable (probably also expensive) but there's some pretty cheap providers out there.

[[Dont' suppose any of you has an Orange contract phone? If you do they're doing free broadband at the minute to anyone with over a £30 monthly contract. Just a thought...]]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Most providers that you register with will provide a router. All you need to get broadband is to have a landline, plug what's called a microfilter into it (it splits your phone plug into 2 - you plug your phone into one, and your router into the other). You can then connect computers to the router by either wires or wireless (e.g. our router allows 4 connected by wires, and up to 20 via wireless).

To have wireless you need either laptops with built in wireless, or buy a wireless card, which can either plug into your PCMCIA slot or a USB one. Both are pretty cheap now. (Even the good ones are sub £20 now)

----------------------------------------------------------

With regards to speed, it depends both on your provider and your equipment:
- The provider limits the speed that the information comes down your phone line - limits tend to be 1Gb, 2Gb or 8Gb, but 1Gb is more than enough unless you're all gonna be online at the same time, and even then still manageable (not like dial-up super slow or anything).
- Your equipment limits the speed at which your computer can receive information from the router. There are currently 3 versions of this at the minute in the UK:

** 802.11a - this is the original wireless, and is fine, but not the most popular for home use. (Just as a side note, 802.11a is what Apple laptops use and Apple wireless, if any one of you has that.) It's the most stable wireless version, but not the fastest.

**802.11b - this is the 'norm', or was at least until a few months ago. This is more than fast enough. You can also get 'turbo' versions, which claim to be up to 30% faster, tho I'm not sure you'd actually notice any difference...

**802.11g - this is the fastest currently available for at home, and is, for instance, the one we have here. Again you can also have 'turbo' versions, but the same caveat applies as above. And 802.11b really is sufficient - certainly don't pay more to upgrade to 802.11g.

Basically your network cards (either built into your laptop, or plugged in as explained above) AND your router will be one of the 3 standards above - bear in mind the network will only work as fast as the slowest part of the chain, so for instance if your laptop is 802.11g but your router is only 802.11b it will only go at the speed of 802.11b.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Wow, that turned out far more complicated than I intended! If you need a hand let me know.

If I were you I would:

(a) call BT, and find out they status of the lines in your house, how much it would cost to turn them back on (I know it's just gone up, 'cause my mum works at BT - in fact if you give me your address my mum can check out what you'd need to do tomorrow) and also what your quarterly line rental would be - you'd have to pay that even if you didn't buy a phone or even use it (maybe worth having for parents to call you - cheaper for them than calling your mobiles?). Most ISPs (Internet Service Providers) really do need you to have a BT line)

(b) Have a look around all the ISPs - BT, Wannado, Tiscali, AOL etc. Each will charge you a monthly fee for having broadband, based on the speed of your line and your usage limit (I've never known anyone pass their limit, so whatever their lowest is **should** be ok).

Two of the cheapest I can see are Wannado/Orange, at 14.99 a month (1Gb download speed, 2Gb usage limit - plenty) and Tiscali, also 14.99.

I'll have a gander see if I can find anything cheaper...

Right, that's all you need to know!!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Re: Blondie did your internet crash on you??? new
      #274257 - 07/16/06 03:28 PM
Blondie13

"queen of all knowledge"??!!! Hardly!!!

Nope I'm still here, posted my reply now - no idea why I disappeared!!

--------------------

Re: PS - just found... new
      #274258 - 07/16/06 03:31 PM
Blondie13

... BroadbandChecker.co.uk - VERY good, you just plonk your postcode in and it gives you a great list of most of the ISPs active in your area, etc, and all the costs/packages that they do.

--------------------

Re: PS - and... new
      #274261 - 07/16/06 03:35 PM
Blondie13

also this one: Compare Broadband Deals

Didn't look down the page at all of them, but the virgin one seems like a good deal - looks like you don't have to commit to a 12 month contract, which is rare

--------------------

Oh no! new
      #274262 - 07/16/06 03:41 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Noo! Very nr that I get my Internet back just in time for yours to disappear. I totally understand about getting stressed about not being able to check the boards. Guess we'll all just to hone our mental telepathy to communicate with you. I'll use tea leaves If you get any in the bottom of your cup that look like a big blonde goofball american, that'll be me.

~nelly~

Hehe.....you're hilarious nelly!! I'll get my cup ready! n/t new
      #274296 - 07/17/06 02:57 AM
Natalie1985

--------------------
Natalie

Fantastic...you're a star! new
      #274297 - 07/17/06 03:02 AM
Natalie1985

At this rate I'll be up and running before you know it!! Am hoping to start proceedings after pay day 26-28th..lol..so you never know...if the damn thing sets up right then I might not be gone too long...my grandads been trying to get broadband for months and still isnt sorted...I know ours took ages at home...will see what I can do.

Thanks for all the fabulous advice...will be posting a farewell message after...although Im in lpool this weekend and will be able to use parents internet then...but this will be my last official goodbye from my comp!

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1941

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review