All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
off to the doctor..
      #273974 - 07/14/06 04:27 AM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

today is my one month follow up since my doctor putting me on the new synthroid, i have to go back and complain to her again that im still extremely tired all the time and achy lol.. i hope they dont think im faking anything.. but oh well, i cant get better and expect them to help me if i dont open my mouth!.. i also have to get my leg checked, in 2003 i was in a bad car wreck and the bone going down the front of my leg (tibia i think) was cracked and a knot grew out of the crack, so i still have it there and im still having pain when im walking around, or sometimes when im laying in bed it hurts.. i got checked in 2004 and was put in a walking cast cause they said it was a stress fracture, when the cast came off, it was still there.. so i have to see why it still hurts, i think it shouldve been healed by now!! LOL

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thyroid meds new
      #274016 - 07/14/06 10:18 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

can take about 6 weeks to get into your system and 3 months to fully work. You also have to start out with low doses and work your way up to the amount you need. So still feeling tired is not surprising. When I started mine it was about 3 weeks before I noticed even the tiniest change and took somewhere between 2 and 3 months before I started to feel normal again. They won't think you're faking anything. You're supposed to have your thyroid levels checked 3 months after you start a new med and then every 6 months after that. I would of thought they'd wait more than a month for a thyroid follow-up. Good luck at your visit.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

my dr said.. new
      #274062 - 07/14/06 12:55 PM
chely24

and yep youre right hohoyumyum (i dunno ur name sorry! lol)..the dr said i have to go back on 2 months to see how my new dose is working for me, she checked the tender points again today and they hurt even worse than last time! so now im going on amitripyline (the pharmacist told me to ask her about it first cause of my high BP) so she said its only 10 mg so it should affect my BP..and i have to take aleve or something to help too.. she said theyre pretty much treating me for fibro already cause that medicine is what they give people with fibro.. although my GI dr gave it to me for my bad ibs pain.. she also kept asking how many times i go to the bathroom, she asked if it smelled bad LOL doesnt it all?? .. and im on a water pill now so she was asking how many times that made me pee.. if i get dizzy, if i have heavy periods..etc..she checked my potassium levels today and no doctor has ever done that before! cause i told her im weak, i can barely pick up a gallon of juice or milk or something and she said something is not right there.. she also felt my stomach which hurt when she touched it,and im on my monthly so she was feeling around my lower stomach around ovaries (major pain) so she looked back in the computer to where i was complaining about painful cycles in the past and she said it sounds like i have a female problem too but she wants to rule out other things first, she also asked if my ibs got worse during my monthlys.. of course it gets tons worse.. soo she said the things im feeling can be a number of things, but shes really leaning toward fibro more than anything.. and to see how the pills work out for me.. she also said to try and lose some weight (which ive been trying forever it seems and nothing is helping!).. so ill keep trying and if i dont, im gonna go complain again lol. haha.. anyways i hope this post makes sense, it was hard trying to remember everything!

--------------------

Re: my dr said.. new
      #274075 - 07/14/06 03:05 PM
hohoyumyum

Sounds like a busy day. This is from webmd.com.

"Symptoms of hypothyroidism usually develop slowly over months or years. Symptoms and signs may include:

* Coarse and thinning hair.
* Dry skin.
* Brittle nails.
* A yellowish tint to the skin.
* Slow body movements.
* Cold skin.
* Inability to tolerate cold.
* Feeling tired, sluggish, or weak.
* Memory problems, depression, or difficulty concentrating.
* Constipation.
* Heavy or irregular menstrual periods that may last longer than 5 to 7 days.

Other, less common symptoms may include:

* An enlarged thyroid gland (goiter).
* Modest weight gain, often 10 lb(4.5 kg) or less.
* Swelling of the arms, hands, legs, and feet, and facial puffiness, particularly around the eyes.
* Hoarseness.
* Muscle aches and cramps."

Any of those that you are experiencing may go away once your thyroid med stabilizes. If it doesn't, then you'll know there is something else to find.

Oh yeah, my name is Melissa. But you can call me hohoyumyum or hoho or really anything that seems good to you (as long as you're not throwing mean names my way, *chuckles*).

--------------------

#274101 - 07/14/06 06:38 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Chely, it sounds like you have a good dr. looking after you!
I wish you lots of luck with the weight loss - I know it's hard!! I was 172, now 122. It took roughly 8 years to lose and keep off. I did it by changing my diet even further than the ibs made me do, and I started aquabics and no-impact aerobics.
Of course, right now I can do either. I haven't 1. the energy - my stamina lasts at work and that's it. 2. the feet - my bunions are so terrible I can't wear shoes! Yet I perservere!! I hope to get back to the pool in September - pending another surgery first though!
Best of luck!!!
Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#274125 - 07/15/06 07:35 AM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

I've been dealing with all this thyroid stuff for 11 years now.Seems like they are always increasing my dosage. I just wish it would regulate itself and stay there!!
I get alot of the symptoms someone else listed even while on the medication.
The sore and achey muscles for one
The puffiness of the face and eyes
I can tolerate the cold though(which is odd) but i cannot tolerate the heat/humidity.
Depression is probably the worst part of the thyroid symptoms besides the fatigue for me.
Right now i am reading "The Thyroid Solution" by Ridha Arem M.D. and i also have "Thyroid for Dummies" by Allen Rubin M.D. both are helpful in understanding all this thyroid stuff.
It's alot like IBS as far as getting the family to understand it. My mom is so high energy she acts like im just lazy or something.I think that is where alot of my depression comes in, not being able to keep up and be more like her.

Have you always been on the same thyroid med or have you tried different ones? new
      #274140 - 07/15/06 10:15 AM
hohoyumyum

--------------------

Re: Have you always been on the same thyroid med or have you tried different ones? new
      #274154 - 07/15/06 11:29 AM
countrygirl

So far only Synthroid and Levothyroxine.

Re: Have you always been on the same thyroid med or have you tried different ones? new
      #274158 - 07/15/06 01:22 PM
chely24

thats what im on, ive had hypothyroid since i was 16.. i was doing great in the beginning i started out on 137 mcg, i was dropping weight, then they put me on 112 mcg then 120 or something then 125, now 150 mcg, hopefully it works!

--------------------

#274159 - 07/15/06 01:24 PM
chely24

thanks cassandra!! i need all the luck i can get LOL. and I love my doctor, i hope shes there a while, shes only doing her residency or whatever its called there so shes still learning but shes awesome. i wish you luck also and I hope your feet feel better!!

--------------------

#274160 - 07/15/06 01:31 PM
chely24

thanks melissa! Ill remember your name now cause thats my sister in laws name lol.. I still have a few of those so its probably just that.. hopefully my pills help! the heavy menstrual (and major painful) cycles never go away though, i wish there was a magic pill for that LOL.. ive been on so much birth control nothing has helped, i have to be on a low dose cause of HBP.. so i wonder what other options i have

--------------------

#274175 - 07/15/06 04:22 PM
hohoyumyum

I've been on both of those. Perhaps you could talk to your doc about trying a different one? Or, maybe there is something other than thyroid probs going on. Another doctor's opinion sure couldn't hurt any.

--------------------

If you were doing well initially at 137 mcg, why did they change the dosage? *nt new
      #274176 - 07/15/06 04:23 PM
hohoyumyum

--------------------

Re: If you were doing well initially at 137 mcg, why did they change the dosage? *nt new
      #274178 - 07/15/06 04:55 PM
chely24

i have no idea, i dont get it

--------------------

If something is working for you, don't let your doc change it. new
      #274184 - 07/15/06 06:11 PM
hohoyumyum

And also ask them why they are doing what they're doing. Some doctors get offended but too bad, I say. I want to know what's going on. And they should be explaining things to you.

--------------------

Re: Thyroid meds new
      #274283 - 07/16/06 06:21 PM
countrygirl

I am currently taking 225 mcg's and it keeps increasing slowly.......the highest dosage in pill form is 300 mcg's i have no clue what they will do with me when i hit that high of a dosage?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 335 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2249

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review