Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Moving:-)
      #273253 - 07/10/06 04:40 AM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Hi Everyone~

I just wanted to ask some advice from everybody about what kinds of preparations I can do in order to get my house ready to go on the market TODAY! Does anyone have any suggestions? I do appreciate it and wish me luck.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Moving:-) new
      #273259 - 07/10/06 05:27 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It's a seemingly silly old tip I've heard from realtors, but it really does work - because the "atmosphere" of a house does a lot to sell it - if you know people will be looking at the place, make sure it smells nice (but not overwhelmingly so - put a couple cinnamon sticks in a pan of water and simmer them on the stove for a bit) and put flowers or plants here and there. I have no idea why that works, but when we were house-hunting a couple years ago, the houses that stuck out in my mind in a GOOD way were the ones that had little touches like that to feel "welcoming".

Good luck! I don't know how the market is by you, but hopefully it'll sell quickly!

#273266 - 07/10/06 06:24 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I watch a lot of TLC and A&E t.v. They have shows just for teaching moving tricks. NO clutter. Not too much furniture crowded in a room. Homey things like flowers or fruit on the table. Those are the simple ones.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#273280 - 07/10/06 07:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I, too, have heard that reducing clutter helps to sell a home! I also think Casey idea of the good smelling stuff is great! Good luck!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#273409 - 07/10/06 04:46 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

The smell of home-made bread also does the trick....

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

#273421 - 07/10/06 06:49 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Oh, good luck to you! All these things mentioned already are very true! (I'm a Realtor.)

Walk through your front door and pretend you are seeing the house for the first time... do you see clutter? magazines laying around? kids' toys? These things should be cleared out. Also do all those "little things" you've been meaning to do, like fixing a squeaky door, the drip in the bathroom, etc.

If you can pull out a few pieces of furniture to make a room seem bigger, that's good too.

It's hard to keep your house clean while it's on the market, but that's very important, too.

You could also pack up your off season clothes, Xmas decorations, etc to make your storage area seem more ample. Since you're moving any way, get it all packed and ready to go! If people see all this stuff in your garage, they understand that you're on your way out, but if they see it in your attic (and it makes the attic crowded), they assume there's a lack of storage space. Don't know why, just one of those things!

All those shows on TV are great because people realize that putting a little work in cleaning and organizing really pays off!

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

#273454 - 07/11/06 04:01 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

We were going to sell our house and the agent told us to remove as much stuff as we could from the house and store it somewhere. She told us to leave bookshelves etc very sparse and to buy some pretty paper boxes to leave on the shelves in our computer room.

When I viewed houses to buy I always liked houses that were "dressed" ie fresh flowers, the table set with nice crockery or a pretty table runner, fresh fruit in the fruit bowl. I do believe that when you view a house to buy you try to imagine yourself in it so picture your target market, ie the people who might buy your house, and "dress" it to appeal to them

(for us, a young couple, we loved to see wineracks, a table that looked like we could entertain at it, books that we had read on the bookshelves, and travel guides. These are all things that we like so we were able to think, well people like us obviously live here already so we could live here too..silly but it works)

Other than that take Brendarific's pro advice!

--------------------
S.

#273938 - 07/13/06 07:26 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Quote:

Hi Everyone~

I just wanted to ask some advice from everybody about what kinds of preparations I can do in order to get my house ready to go on the market TODAY! Does anyone have any suggestions? I do appreciate it and wish me luck.

Some of the tips I've picked up from the HGTV/A&E shows:

1) Put away family pictures and other items that are very personal.

2) if you have anything at all stuck to the outside of your fridge, remove it.

3) Take down any heavy curtains (assuming it won't create a lack of privacy)--buyers like to see lots of natural light.

4) Clean the windows.

5) Dispose of any dead plants.

6) Do some dusting and vacuuming.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#273946 - 07/13/06 09:10 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

My Mom is a realtor, and always had great advice for her clients. I like to think some of her expertise has rubbed off...First, think how your outside entrance welcomes prospective buyers: Are there inviting potted flowers? Maybe you need a new welcome mat. The front door may also need a new coat of paint...something cheery, but not loud.
Yes, the idea of clutter is very daunting for people who are trying to see themselves in your home. Clear it out, have a tag sale and/or donate to charity what you can't or don't wish to sell. Fresh flowers and plants do help, as do removing anything personal that could hinder the visitors to your house from seeing themselves living there. If you have any bold/crazy colors, I would advise painting them neutral. I loved my deep red bedroom, but agreed that not everyone had my passion for it!
If you have pets, be aware of the smell and try and keep their food/litter box out of site. Pet owners don't always remember this.
Think about what you liked about a great hotel/B&B you have stayed at...was it the fresh linen? The ambience? The details? Try and recreate this in your home and prospective buyers won't want to leave...

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1128

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review