Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tummy news..bad and good
      #272914 - 07/07/06 11:39 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

..so I was a very bad girl yesterday. Bad, foolish and above all stooopid

I ate breakfast at 9, then didn't have lunch til 3pm as I went to a restaurant with clients. It was such a hot day and when we arrived at the restaurant the clients who were bringing us out were drinking perfectly chilled Sancerre (yummy white wine) so I (stupidly) had a glass on a very very empty tummy. Yum.

I ordered fishcakes for my starter, Safe, clever and ate bread with it. Then I had my lobster linguini. Then I got all sweaty and had possibly the worst IBS cramps of my life!

I had to excuse myself during the main course and went to the bathroom, mostly to stroke my tummy. No D just crazy cramps. Came back and my boss knew that something was up, I couldn't even look at my safe dinner my whole left side from my ribs to my hip bone was in agony. I sat down at the table and sipped some water. Then I took a buscopan and drank more room temp water.

I had taken a buscopan before I went out too. I have taken them a few times, got them over the counter in the UK. Anyway I couldn't believe it, within 30 mins and after drinking a pot of peppermint tea the spasming had completely stopped. This has NEVER happened before, usually I have to leave and spend the afternoon in bed with a hot water bottle. Then after about another 15 mins the wine started looking inviting again and I had another glass.

Then I ordered dessert! and ate it! And it DIDN'T hurt (strawberry and rhubarb crumble)

.....so I stayed out drinking wine til 11.30pm and am terribly hungover and ill today but had to go to work

I had sooo much fun it was fantastic.

I DEFINITELY recommend Buscopan (and mint tea!) for crampy issues.

I also recommend staying away from Sancerre or any alcohol. It hurts. Bad. About to order Chinese takeaway and curl on the couch to watch TV, but still managed to clean up a but and make a cake for my friend's birthday party tomorrow night (argh more drinking) Sorry my post sounds hungover and I have tried to make it not but it won't work. I think that I have partied harder since I turned 30 than ever before..and it is really taking its toll!

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Interesting site too... new
      #272916 - 07/07/06 11:45 AM
cailin

just read the helpful advice section of the buscopan website here and it really does give good Heatherlike advice like...
Quote:

The Seven Steps to Taking the Pain out of IBS
Step 1
Get Diagnosed
Be sure that your symptoms are due to IBS and not another condition

Step 2
Treat the root of the problem
To cope with pain, a number of treatments are available for painful abdominal spasms associated with IBS

Step 3
Exercise regularly
Exercise helps relieve depression and stress, stimulates normal contractions of your intestines and can help you feel better about yourself

Step 4
Identify your trigger foods
Keep a food diary. People can often identify food and drinks that trigger symptoms and diet can subsequently be modified

Step 5
Talk things through
It is often the case that stressful events can bring on or exacerbate symptoms. Through dealing with the bigger issues, the pain may be avoided. Don't be afraid to try psychological therapies

Step 6
De-stress
Stress can often be the cause of symptoms to flare-up and can further exacerbate an existing attack so look into relaxation techniques

Step 7
Be informed
It is important to feel in control of your symptoms so gather as much information you can.

THIS MAKES SENSE TO ME!

And when it talks about a balanced diet they say:
Quote:

If you suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), you are likely to notice that some foods trigger the symptoms more than others. The best way to identify which are your "trigger" foods is to keep an Abdominal Pain Diary for a number of weeks. In general, there are some types of foods that are common triggers of abdominal pain and cramps. These are:

fats and oils
red meat
dairy products and eggs
coffee, tea and cola beverages
frozen or very cold food or drinks
citrus fruits, unpeeled fruits and raw vegetables
Monitor the effect of these foods on your symptoms. Avoid them if they trigger an attack. Your healthcare professional may prescribe a diagnostic test known as a multiple exclusion diet: potential triggers are eliminated entirely from the diet, then re-introduced one by one. This helps identify the most troublesome foods.

AMAZING this is only the second time that I have seen useful info like this and I amazed to find it on a pharmacaeutical website. Yay people are learning Heather's way and that it works. Very balanced approach on that site, not all sell sell sell,I hadn't looked at it til now as I wanted to give you all a URL for the product.

--------------------
S.

Re: tummy news..bad and good new
      #272918 - 07/07/06 12:01 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Sorry you had horrible pains, but glad it's not just me who can make the wrong decisions with food - not just once but twice!! If you hadn't had nothing to eat all day you would probably have been ok I guess? I think that's the most important thing for me - I CAN eat some naughty things, as long as I have a plain, soluble fibre base first.

It's VERY cool that you still had a great night! Was the restaurant as cool as you thought it was gonna be? I was thinking as I read your post, I haven't been to a restaurant for probably a year! I've eaten out at the pub a couple of times, where I feel comfortable (lots of toilets, only few min from my house, nice food w/ safe options, etc), but not in an actual restaurant. Which is really funny considering when I was working I only ate at home once a week - on Sundays! At least I'll really appreciate it when I'm in a fit state to start going again...

How's your tum been today by the way? You mentioned you're hungover/ill, but has your IBS been ok? Hope so...

Big bruv'll make you feel better!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

#272921 - 07/07/06 12:11 PM
cailin

My Hangover is mostly tummy cramps and the occasional urgent dash to the loo but I refuse to waste my valuable Buscopan on it.

I'd have gotten away without cramps til today if I had even had some bread before the wine. Idiot!

The restaurant was nice, very casual atmosphere and we were let stay at our table til 5.30 and then we moved to the winebar section. Only down side was that our waitress was REALLY snooty. But she made a big mistake. She topped up my wine glass from a new bottle, big big faux pas, you should never mix the wines from different bottle, even if they are the same wine....the guy who topped the wine up later even asked me before he topped it up if it was the same bottle first. So her snooty attitude was misplaced!

The restaurant was www.peploes.com. Nice food, location, staff. NASTY waitress. Horrible hangover!

The "clients" we were out with were a man my boss's age and his assistant manager who is my age so we had lots of gossips. We go out with them every 6 months and it's always such brilliant fun.

Happy news is that my sinuses are fixed- another wonder drug- Solpasinus (made by Solpadeine people)

How are you doing? Mail me if you want to..or I could take the initiative to check your blog I s'pose. Lazy nead!

--------------------
S.

#272936 - 07/07/06 01:31 PM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

I'm sorry you had tummy trouble, but it's nice to know others out there do the same thing as I do. Hope you're feeling better soon!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

Hmmm interesting.... new
      #272938 - 07/07/06 01:40 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I've been wondering about those buscopan things after the advert seems to be on TV ALL the time. Ive tried EVERY over the counter remedy for IBS but have yet to try that one...whats in it?? I always thought...oh another one of those stupid 'this will fix it' remedies that NEVER DOES...maybe its worth a try?? Though I know everyone is different...and I had the WORST ibs attack EVER after Peppermint tea...thats how weird I am....peppermint capsules killed me too....only thing I can have is normal peppermint mints like strong mints and mint imperials...strange!

Glad you had a good time...I love those unexpected drunken meeting things...haha....when you weren't planning on having that much but some how had a fabulous time!

Sorry cramps ruined some of it but glad you got over it...and BAD BAD sinead for having dessert....but YUM YUM YUM I LUUUURRRRRRVVVVVE CRUMBLE!!!

--------------------
Natalie

Caroline.... new
      #272939 - 07/07/06 01:44 PM
Natalie1985

thought I would just let you know that until about hmm...2 years ago...I hadn't eaten out at a restaurant for nearly 3 years!!! For exactly the same reasons of you...fear of food...fear of toilet...fear of EVERYTHING....but just wanted to give you hope...this last year I have been to MORE RESTAURANTS than I have in my entire life put together...and Im a student and don't know how the hell I afford to(Im not talking extravagant ones here but still )

So the day will come I'm sure when you can have some restaurant fun!!

Oh and think I didn't go on a bus or train for 1 1/2 years for same reasons...trust me the feeling of achievement when go get over those things will be AMAZING....can't wait for the day when you post it!!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Hmmm interesting.... new
      #272962 - 07/07/06 02:43 PM
cailin

Mint tea works for me but not Colpermin, it makes me burpy! I haven't seen any buscopan ads. First I heard of it was when P was sick on an airplane with abdominal cramps and they airhostess gave them to him (he had an infected appendix though) I saw them with IBS Relief on the pack and picked them up in Stanstead but I keep them for serious emergencies. They didn't work as well for hangovers etc but they do definitely calm things down for me. They don't stop D etc but they put a stop to the cramping.

NOW POT KETTLE BLACK LET ME REMIND YOU ABOUT ANGELIC NATALIE AND DESSERTS.......................

<evil cackle>

--------------------
S.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO new
      #272974 - 07/07/06 03:26 PM
Natalie1985

GET THAT PICTURE OFF BEFORE I KILL MYSELF....LOL....ONLY JOKING....BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASE DONT REMIND ME....YOU EVIL EVIL EVIL THING....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....THAT PICTURE IS TERRIBLE....I AM PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT I HAVE LOST WEIGHT SINCE THEN...GOD HOW CHUBBY DOES MY FACE LOOK....WASN'T JUST MY TUMMY THAT DIDN'T LIKE THAT DESSERT....HIPS AND THIGHS HATED IT TOO!! LOL

Oh dya know whats funny...its so weird you posted that cos my friend Jemma just rang me out of the blue...haven't heard from her in a month and was worried as we talk all the time...shes the achill one...shes back to dublin tomorrow...shes living there till september and is begging me to visit...was just reminiscing about last year....so strange that you post that after I literally put the phone down...spooky!! I wish I could go back...and now I have a job maybe there's a slight chance...we'll see....might be popping back to visit the scene of the crime with you sooner than you thought.....

--------------------
Natalie

Getting you back..... new
      #272977 - 07/07/06 03:42 PM
Natalie1985

Just so everyone knows....I WASN'T the ONLY pig scoffing my face that night....Sinead was JUST as bad and naughty...and so was Nelly....hehe.... Now look at the enjoyment on sineads face....mmmm tasty....and look at nelly about to go for the kill....for those who don't know what we were consuming...a banoffee pie and a chocolate and raspberry torte Oh yes....ours was NOT an ibs safe get together...we are the naughty crew!!

--------------------
Natalie

Bucospan new
      #272984 - 07/07/06 03:57 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Sinead,

Sorry to hear you had such bad cramps when you were out for a meal with your clients, that sucks.
But very good to hear that Bucospan works so well for you, that's awesome!
When I went to the GI doc in England that I really liked (at Farnborough), he gave me a prescription for it and said to only use it for when I was getting these really bad pain attacks. I only take them for really bad pain, but they are definitely the best things I have ever found. They tend to make me really sleepy, though.. does this happen to you?
I thought it was just a prescription drug, I didn't realise you could get it OTC. I have been so strict with only taking it when I really, really need it.. I wonder if I can it here.. Hmmm...

Anyway, sorry to hear you are hungover and hope you are feeling better by the time you read this!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

I love it new
      #273002 - 07/07/06 06:25 PM

Unregistered

You guys crack me up!

I think we're onto something here with the non-IBS safe get togethers. Pack the immodium and let's have a good time daring people to eat really yummy things! The IBS Rebels...has a nice ring to it

THE IBS REBELS... new
      #273042 - 07/08/06 12:10 AM
Natalie1985

Yes....I thought so too....lol....so who wants to be in our gang hey??? hehe

I think a virtual get together might be on the cards....order me a nice hot chocolate fudge melting middle pudding with a dollop of luxury vanilla icecream!

--------------------
Natalie

OOh a low blow Nat.... new
      #273044 - 07/08/06 03:09 AM
cailin

Although I don't make much secret of my cheating. I even wrote rules of cheating remember! I can cope with a little of some bad desserts as long as I am very safe for starter and mostly safe for dessert. Crumbles don't give me a problem but cream based thing make me stink!

mmm banoffee. I am good though..I scrape most of the cream off it....mmm. I have a chocolate biscuit cake in the fridge...and I THINK that I can make a safe one, I have to try subbing egg whites for the eggs in it, I'll try it during the week and if it's good I will post it as it is an absolute yumtastic treat..can you eat Rich Tea biccies?

--------------------
S.

Re: Bucospan new
      #273045 - 07/08/06 03:14 AM
cailin

Hey Stephie
yes I agree I only take it for really sharp pain and cramps, not for regular unhappiness but it really is my wonder drug. The website says that it's available in Canada I do think that it used to be prescription only in UK but I definitely got it off the shelf in Boots in Stansted airport. I think it's prescription only here.

It def didn't make me sleepy, I stayed out til almost midnight! Maybe it doesn't just relax your gut but all of you. It says on it if taking every day for more than two weeks to consult your doctor but like I said I keep mine for emergencies, I probably take it once a month (i bought the pack in January)

My tummy still isn't right today and I tweaked my back painting my toenails the other night so it was kinda sore and when I was washing up last night something else cracked so I was going around like an 80year old last night. I went to bed with a hot water bottle but had lower back and shoulder pain and my tummy too so I was very confused as to where deserved the heat most! My back is better today thankfully but I need to be careful I think.

Talk later honies!

--------------------
S.

Used to live off rich teas... new
      #273051 - 07/08/06 04:40 AM
Natalie1985

I once ate a whole pack...used to do it all the time in 2nd year...they were my safe treat all the time....don'bt bother me at all..if anything they make me better!! Calories become horrific though so i stopped my obsession....must be over a year since I last had one!

--------------------
Natalie

Excellent! new
      #273057 - 07/08/06 07:08 AM
cailin

Yeah I can eat them fine too and they have the sugar/bland combination that soothes my tummy. I'll try the recipe with egg whites before posting.

Rotten day here, cold and wet, and I have to head to my friend's birthday party, an hour and a half drive...and an early start for it. Am still wrecked and tummy not thrilled with itself at all. Must be more sensible!

Will be back tomorrow afternoon so will check in on everyone then

--------------------
S.

Re: Excellent! new
      #273072 - 07/08/06 09:06 AM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

sorry u had a bad bit of a day sinead, glad its getting better. Sending u big huggles.

I`m like you nat I`ve only just started going on the tram (but luckily I drive so its not too bad a thing) and have recently started going out for meals. If i take a few imodium I can usually get through the attacks ok!

Jo

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

No no no girls, bourbons are the way to go!!!! new
      #273198 - 07/09/06 01:25 PM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

I keep the rich teas for random attacks on the biscuit tin the rich tea fingers are only 22 calories each but am afraid bourbons are my daily treat, and they dont contain milk which is ofcourse is an added bonus! lets not go into the fat content and ruin things for me!!
I'm really disgusting with them aswell I have to take them apart and eat them bit by bit, my mum says I haven't changed since I was a child, my grandad used to leave the room when I was eating a jam tart or worse a kit kat!
You guys looked like you had great fun on your meal out, I'm from the UK I demand an invite to the naughty party next time lol

Re: No no no girls, bourbons are the way to go!!!! new
      #273203 - 07/09/06 01:50 PM
cailin

LOL you realise that there's no such thing as bourbon creams in the US so all our American friends will think you are talking about whiskey I used to eat twixs and double deckers like that..mmm all the different bits. We always buy custard cream type biccies on holidays to have in our hotel and remember how yum they are but never buy them at home.

Nelly came to Ireland last August and Nat flew over from Liverpool so we had the "Dublin Summer Shindig" in my neighbourhood. There's none planned for this year (yet) but we do have a lot of new UK people, tons more than last year so you never do know what will happen. Rest assured if there is a UK meet up there will be an open invite.

For more photos of last year's get together check these out:
photos1
Photos 2

Photos 3

I can also testify that poor Nat really suffered after the dessert, we all ate so recklessly!

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 677 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5276

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review