All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: cigarettes new
      #272622 - 07/05/06 01:20 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hey Polly! My guess is that the nicotine or something else in the cigarettes gets the bowls going. I used to smoke and it really aggravated my symptoms because I am a D. However, if I felt a little stopped up from too much Immodium or something, I would smoke a cig and without fail have a BM. Go figure. Maybe you didn't have any problems because the cigs were helping things move along.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#272624 - 07/05/06 01:23 PM
polly2004

Reged: 05/30/06
Loc: Minnesota

that's what i was thinking...i wonder if i've had ibs for a long time and didn't really know, cuz of the cigarettes? hmm, who knows.

#272683 - 07/05/06 05:15 PM
JanC1955

Reged: 05/18/06
Loc: Northern Nevada

Quote:

my doc thought i was nuts when i told him i knew quitting did it. i'm ibs "c". after 4 months of dealing w/all the ibs crap, he put me on zelnorm to help things move along. all of the other laxitives that was prescribed didn't work for me. they just kept telling me to double up. i'm a really bad ibs "c". i just went off the zelnorm and am really scared that the "c" is gonna flare up again. zelnorm is only a temp fix. i did order some of heather's fiber. hopefully that will work. thank you so much for replying back!! i need all the help i can get.

I don't blame you for being scared about going off the Zelnorm. I'd lose it if someone tried to take my Glycolax away.

Good luck with the acacia. I've always tended toward gassiness, and I just can't seem to tolerate fiber supplements, including acacia. Everything I've tried, no matter how small the dose, results in endless rumbling and excess gas. I just really can't stand the feeling, and it doesn't seem to improve with time. Also, for me, fiber supps don't give the predictable results that the Glycolax does.

Needless to say, we're all different. Hopefully the acacia will work for you.

#297431 - 01/20/07 05:07 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

After reading all the posts on the effects of nicotine on the digestive system, I'm confused. I've read that nicotine helps IBS, and on other threads, that it hurts. I stopped smoking over two weeks ago, and my IBS has spun out of control. I started the IBS diet a couple of months ago, and was making progress until I stopped smoking. I'm D (or was) and now seem to be A. I get horrible smelling gas (between of 4 and 6 o'clock every day - can anyone explain that?) and have had bowel incontinence, which I rarely have. I'm taking 1/2 tsp of Acacia twice a day and drinking plenty of peppermint and fennel tea. The fennel tea does not seem to be helping with the gas. Anyway, if this keeps up, it's going to make me want to start smoking again. Please help!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2520

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review