All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Had a GREAT doctors appt this morning!
      #271166 - 06/27/06 09:40 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Wow, I LOVE this new doc!! I saw a new rheumy doc this am, a woman, for a second opinion. She was wonderful! I had handed her my 4 page typed out summary of the last year and she was just amazed at the lack of care I have received! She actually listened to me, spent an entire hour with me, than had x-rays done and spent another half hour with me!

She believes I've had RA for probably 5-7 years, minimum. She absolutely believes thats why I can't carry a pregnancy. The x-rays showed bone erosions in 8 fingers, 6 toes, both knees, shoulders, hips and the little bone at the top of my spine. I have about 20% of the cartilage left in my knees and she said the deformities in my fingers will not go away. She was very blunt but very "real" and very caring. She said she is amazed that I'm even making it to work everyday.

She was part of the clinical trials for all the biologic drugs for RA. She said that since I already have organ involvement, we need to be super aggressive. She is increasing the steroids, not real happy about that but she said if I don't get the swelling down, I will have permanent nerve damage. I started crying and told her I was already fat and she hugged me and said not to even give that a second thought right now. She said the steroids change your metabolism and make you store fat, that I WILL gain weight no matter how careful I am and its ok, that we will deal with the weight later. She is doubling the dose of the Enbrel injections and Imuran I'm on. I'll do this for a month. Than, I'll take a few weeks off the Enbrel and than start Humira instead.

Basically, "normal" people produce a particular protein, people with RA produce WAY too much of this protein. The Enbrel tries to "mop up" the extra protein and the Humira actually stops the production of this protein. My body can not tell healthy tissue from foreign tissue so my body is attacking itself, eating all the bones and soft tissue. Its attacking my babies when I do get pregnant, thats why I can't carry a baby.

She said the increase in medications my make me feel sicker to begin with but she believes that within 6-9 months, I should be feeling a lot better. She said if not, then we will have to go to a cancer drug and remicade and one other drug thats pretty nasty. She is saving that for the "if everything else fails" because it would pretty much mean that I won't be able to ever even try to have a baby because the drugs are so toxic they cause birth defects, even after you have stopped them. She said MAYBE next spring, if I'm in remission, we could try to get pregnant but she said I'd have to brace myself for another loss, she said as far as my disease has progressed, even once its under control, maybe a 40% chance of carrying a baby to term.

She is calling in a script for some pain patches for my chest. She said my breathing is way too shallow because of the amount of swelling in there and its got to be controlled. She said I have a 50% chance of getting Lymphoma from the drugs and the fact that I have RA increases the chance as well.

All in all, a bit of grime news. However, I feel better already knowing that I'm not crazy! When I told her it took so long to get treated and kept getting told I was just depressed, I thought she was going to explode! She said if I WASN'T depressed, she's be worried! She said with all the pain, the miscarriages, the fact that no dr has treated my properly, she was amazed that I wasn't in a funny farm!

She said there will be more pain and weakness and sickness from the medications but that if I can stick to it, that she promised she would do everything possible to get me feeling better and improve my quality of life.

I go in tomorrow morning for some more blood work and she will call me if that shows anything else. I'm SO glad I made this appointment! Just having the validation that I'm not crazy helps a lot. To actually see the damage on the x-rays makes me feel justified in my complaints. Its funny how a doctor can tell you how bad something is but also make you feel so much better about it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Had a GREAT doctors appt this morning! new
      #271168 - 06/27/06 09:46 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Wow Michele, your new doc sounds great. Really caring. It is scary how badly you have been cared for the last few years. It must feel scary but empowering to know what is causing all the pain and that it's not in your head etc and that together with her that you can take steps to get yourself better.

Also, it was good to get her opinion on the mc's and what caused them, and for her to tell you her honest prognosis on that instead of you wondering and waiting.

I'm really happy that you finally are getting some good medical care and while the news isn't pretty at least you have someone now who knows how to treat you, relieve your pain and get you better.

--------------------
S.

#271169 - 06/27/06 09:49 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

This is very bittersweet news. But mostly good to know that you have a plan and that someone is wanting to work with you and won't brush you aside. I'm so glad to hear you sound more optimistic and hopeful. And it's fantastic that your doc is up front with you about what is going on and how you are going to have to attack it. I hope everything goes well.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Michele new
      #271194 - 06/27/06 10:55 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I am so glad that you went for a second opinion. I had a feeling that she was going to have a better bedside manner than your other Rheumy doc. Shame on him for not treating you aggressivly enough.

I know she didn't give you great news but you already knew you were feeling terrible. I know it must be wonderful to have a doctor who actually believes everything you are experiencing and is so willing to help you get the RA under control. You have been through so much and now there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hugs,

--------------------
Janey

#271195 - 06/27/06 10:58 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Michele, you are definitely NOT crazy! You've been right all along, knowing something more was up and that more could be doen to help you, and I remember months ago when you believed that the RA could be the cause of your miscarriages. Finally, you have a smart doctor, one who will listen and, most importantly, help you.

"Its funny how a doctor can tell you how bad something is but also make you feel so much better about it!"

Your rheumy sounds wonderful! I'm sorry the news about how your RA is progressing wasn't better, but I'm really hoping that the new treatments will give you more relief and slow down the RA.

Gentle hugs!

#271198 - 06/27/06 11:04 AM
michele

Thanks Maria! Yes, I feel SO much better just knowing she is going to help me!! The news was a little more grim than I had hoped but I feel much mor epositive about the future! Funny how that works!

--------------------

Re: Michele new
      #271200 - 06/27/06 11:07 AM
michele

Thanks Janey! She was a quirky lady but I liked her very much! I'm SO glad I found her!! It wasn't fun listening to all the crap thats wrong with me but it was reasurring to know that she has a plan!

--------------------

#271201 - 06/27/06 11:08 AM
michele

Thank hohoyumyum! I KNEW things were bad, maybe not this bad but overall, I feel better just knowing she is going to try and help!

--------------------

#271203 - 06/27/06 11:10 AM
michele

Thanks Cailin! Yes, it was actually a bit of relief to see the bone damage on the x-rays. I know that sounds odd but at least I know WHY I hurt so bad. She was brutally honest but she was very caring and I agree, I'd rather know what I'm up against.

--------------------

#271204 - 06/27/06 11:11 AM
Janey

Now you don't have to go back to the other guy. Even your eye doc was upset with this guy for not treating you aggressively enough.

I am so glad that you decided to seek a second opinion. A perfect example of how we know our bodies and we must take an active interest in our own healthcare.

I know she told you a lot of things that sound bad but I got a feeling of hope from your message. Just knowing you have someone who cares about getting you well makes all the difference.

--------------------
Janey

#271206 - 06/27/06 11:20 AM
michele

Yes, Janey, I feel the same way. Even though the news was a bit grim, I feel much more hopeful. I will NOT be going back to the other guy!!! If the doctors would just slow down and LISTEN to us for 5 minutes, we would all be getting much better medical care!

Please take my experience into consideration when you are deciding if you want a second opinion for yourself!

--------------------

#271207 - 06/27/06 11:32 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm so glad you went to her...my goodness.... like you said...you got some bad news..followed by some good... guess you can cancel your padded room reservation!! Sure hope she is able to get you comfy REALLY soon.... I think we should all send you emails (addressed to your DR) with "THANK YOU for caring and listening to our Michele" that you can then hand deliver...what do ya think?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#271209 - 06/27/06 11:38 AM
Janey

I was just thinking about that as I wrote you. Not sure if I should wait a little bit or go ahead and find someone else. This guy is supposed to have a good rep. but I did not have a warm and fuzzy either time I went to see him. Not that he wasn't nice, just something about him that I can't quite describe.

I know this is the beginning of your recovery and I am very happy for you.

--------------------
Janey

Michele new
      #271212 - 06/27/06 11:46 AM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi Michele,

I just read your post and I can't express enough how happy I am that you had such a caring and compassionate doctor who wants to take action!

It sounds like you are finally in good hands I'm sorry about the news she gave regarding childbearing, I know how badly you want a baby. Improving your quality of life has to be number one though and whatever drugs you have to take to get the swelling under control than that's what has to happen.

I hope you see results with this new change in medication

Sending you positive thoughts.
Jenn
p.s> have you noticed any changes after starting the Imuran?

#271223 - 06/27/06 12:39 PM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Michele,

Your post contains both good and bad news, but I understand it is a relief to know what is really going on and to find a doctor who cares.

I too have a lupus/RA diagnosis (the doctor is not actually sure which). I am sore, but I do not even pretend to know the kind of pain that you are dealing with. I can't tell you how often you come into my mind. I even had a dream about visiting you the other night. This was probably in part due to my recent trip to Michigan. All the scenery looked like the place we just visited, but I kept thinking in the dream -"I have to get to Michele's house." Just wanted to let you know that even though we don't really know each other, I really care and I'm always so glad to hear some positive news from you.

I am always amazed that you manage to keep going with your normal life as much as possible. I realize this is what you have to do even when you're scared. I know it seems like one thing after another has happened to you over the past couple of years, but it's not like a really long string of bad luck. The problems stem from one thing - the RA. In a way that is good because if you can get that under control then you can be OK again. I know it will never be the same as before you had it, but better than now.

Keep us posted on what the new doc does and how you are feeling. Seriously, if I log on and don't see a post from you every week day, I worry about you.

Laura

#271224 - 06/27/06 12:49 PM
michele

I haven't been on the Imuran long enough to see results yet and she just doubled my dose so I'm still hoping to see much improvement.

Thanks for the support!

--------------------

#271226 - 06/27/06 12:52 PM
michele

Thanks Laura, you're so sweet!! I wish we could have met up when you visited Michigan!

You're right, I know it will never be like before but it HAS to get better. It is good to know WHY all these things are happening to me and I do feel much more confident now that I have a dr who is willing to fight the battle with me!

--------------------

#271228 - 06/27/06 01:01 PM
michele

Good Idea! She just called me a few minutes ago to clarify a few changes we made! I'm just so thrilled to actually have a dr who cares and is willing to battle this with me!

--------------------

#271230 - 06/27/06 01:02 PM
michele

Don't wait. The dr this morning said that your best chances for treatment happen in the first 6-18 months. I'm well out of that range but that doesn't mean that you should have to suffer as much as me before getting the help you deserve!

--------------------

#271233 - 06/27/06 01:11 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I sent ya mine!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

fantastic new
      #271324 - 06/27/06 10:41 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Michele,

Even though the news wasn't 100% happy, I'm so glad that you found a doctor to really listen to you! It must feel great to have a true plan to help you get BETTER! That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

this sounds wonderful! new
      #271337 - 06/28/06 06:43 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

thats why I started seeing and kept seeing DR March until she moved to CA.. she did for both me and Bill things that we needed and knew we needed but had been blown off by other docs about.... good luck and I"m glad this is so much better to know!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Thanks Everyone! new
      #271373 - 06/28/06 09:41 AM
michele

I had yet another 12 vials of blood drawn this morning! I wish they would just put in a permanent valve! The double dose of Imuran is making me feel a bit off and is making the D worse. Funny how I've gone from a dose or two of Miralax everyday to the complete opposite!! I do my double injection tomorrow and she said to expect a whopper of a headache and maybe some nausea but I'm preparing for it and just keep telling myself that the side effects are my body killing the disease.

Forgive me for not responding to everyone, my hands are really sore. The new keyboard I ordered got put on backorder but should hopefully be in next week and I'm hoping that will make typing a bit easier for me!

Oh, and I lost another 2 pounds! Not sure how that is possible with being on the steroids but I'm really not eating much because it hurts and every thing I put in, runs right out, literally! So far, I haven't noticed any signs of the moon face or hump back that go along with the steroids. Maybe I'll actually have a tiny weeny bit of luck and escape those lovely side effects!! Not likely, but one can hope!

Love and Hugs to everyone!

--------------------

#271383 - 06/28/06 09:59 AM
asianrei

Reged: 05/19/06
Loc: Flordia

Hi Michele,

You look wonderful and You made me feel grateful for my condition. Currently, I am trying to lose weight so won't become a diabetic.

keep it up. You will be fine at the end.

--------------------
Had my IBS since 2001 after 9/11

Okay, I'm gonna say the L word ... new
      #271464 - 06/28/06 05:29 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Lawsuit? Michele, maybe you think I'm jumping the gun here (I am studying for the bar and it's all I can think about) but I would talk to a lawyer in Michigan and get some advice. If your first doctor was unreasonable in his failure to properly diagnose you (missed something a reasonably prudent doctor wouldn't have missed), and that failure was responsible for your increased pain and suffering ... well a Michigan lawyer would know better but I think you might have a case. At least, you might have enough of a case to scare the doctor into settling. A little bit of extra money could be so nice ... might even help you pay for costs of adoption if you decide to go that route. Just a tought, babe, since you've kept such careful records.

I'm so happy for you that you got the validation you were looking for. I am sure you're on your way to feeling better!

xo,
Amanda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Ya know, that's not such a bad idea. I'd look into it. *nt new
      #271467 - 06/28/06 05:40 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Thanks Everyone! new
      #271515 - 06/29/06 05:36 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04

Just read your posts and wanted to say I am so sorry for your broken foot! How awful! But you did look very pretty in your picture, including your toes! I am also glad you found a new doc and won't be seeing this other one. It sounds like she knows what she wants to do to try and help you. THat's always a good first step. Hang in there and know that I am always here. Just a phone call away!!

Re: Okay, I'm gonna say the L word ... new
      #271552 - 06/29/06 08:18 AM
michele

I have considered this. The doc I really blame for not diagnoses the auto-immune issue are the first RE that I saw. The one that made me go through all the fertility treatments that I didn't need! Although it is documented that I called 4-5 times while I was under her care with complaints of bursitis, tendinitis and uveitis, at that time most of my blood work was relatively normal. I did complain to her about the swelling and pain but she blew it off as a side effect of the hormone treatments.

Since her speciality is reproductive endocrinology, I guess I'm not sure how much I can hold her liable. Even though I was seeing her for several, unexplained miscarriages that we now know were from the RA.

Even the first 3 times I saw the rheumy, which I went to on my own accord, not a referral from her, didn't diagnose RA because my blood antibody was negative. I do have the records that I called him like once a week and was in his office every 2-3 weeks for months because the pain and swelling was so bad before he bothered to do any treatment. Its not like he gave me the WRONG treatment, he was just very slow to treat and didn't give me high enough doses of the medications to be effective for as bad as my disease is.

I've never been big into lawsuits however, the thought of the money for adoption is a hard one to resist. I think I will talk to Will some more about it and ask the new rheumy when I see her again in a few weeks.

--------------------

Re: This might sound strange new
      #271607 - 06/29/06 11:31 AM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

But when you were a kid did you drink alot of milk? I think alot of us know that calcium helps build strong bones. I don't really know what RA is but I hope it will go away because I want you to have some real babies to!

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

I cant believe.... new
      #271608 - 06/29/06 11:52 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

the way that theyve treated you either....Im just soooooooooooooo glad that something is FINALLY being done about all of this and I HOPE that it brings you the painfree happy life that you so deserve!! I want you to know that I like everyone else is hear for you to vent to whenever you are going through the tough times that she said will follow once you start treatment and Im sending all my love!! So glad you saw a good doc....when you find one its like you've just found a rare diamond isnt it??!!

Fingers crossed things will only get better and just so sorry none of this has happened any sooner!

((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))

--------------------
Natalie

Re: I cant believe.... new
      #271626 - 06/29/06 12:32 PM
michele

Thanks Natalie! I feel very hopeful that this new doc will help get things under control! I called to have my old records transferred today and they didn't even ask way or anything!

I did my double dose of shots this morning and so far no more side effects than usual! Other than more bruises to add to my growing collection! I'm afraid I'm going to have to add on my "in case of emergency contact" sheet a P.S that says, NO my husband doesn't beat me and despite the needle "tracks" I'm not a junky!

--------------------

Re: This might sound strange new
      #271630 - 06/29/06 12:39 PM
michele

Thanks HoneyMix. RA is short for rheumatoid arthritis, which is an auto-immune disease. In healthy people, the immune system works to fight off infections and keep you healthy. In people with RA, our immune systems go haywire. Our immune systems can't tell foreign cells from our own bodies cells and starts attacking everything. Basically, my immune system is eating away at my body and causing everything to swell and get inflamed. Its very painful and causes deformities because it causes your bones to erode away and eats away the cartilage between your bones. It can also affect all your internal organs and eyes.

Despite having the word arthritis in the name, it not like the "regular" arthritis people think about, which is called Osteoarthritis. This happens usually from an injury to a joint or as we get older, just regular wear and tear.

Since RA stems from the immune system, things like calcium and such won't help!

--------------------

Re: Michele, that's an excellent explanation! new
      #271664 - 06/29/06 02:25 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

You have such a great way of explaining things and helping us understand RA much better. I wish I could be like this, but I get too caught up in my emotions sometimes and lose all language and communication skills.

Re: Michele, that's an excellent explanation! new
      #271668 - 06/29/06 02:36 PM
michele

Its funny, sometimes my brain is so darned muddled, I forget how to get home from work!! Other times, I just detach myself from all the emotions and try to think about things in a "real life" kind of way! Other times, I'm ALL emotions and can't even think a rational thought to save my life!

--------------------

Hurray!! new
      #271705 - 06/29/06 06:14 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I've been following your posts all week while at work, but I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to reply. I am very happy you saw this new ra dr. She sounds awesome. Now, heal that foot and lets get your body back on track!!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Michelle- new
      #271753 - 06/30/06 05:01 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

Tali would cheer you on... she has Juenile RA (one of my cousins..) and is now an adult and if she sticks to her regimen of exercise, diet and drugs is fine... she has a now 15 month old... so it is possible to have a child once your RA is under control... and she is doing amazingly well... but it was a hard road for her and I remember times when she was in a wheelchair and couldnt' get out of bed.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review