All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Had a GREAT doctors appt this morning!
      #271166 - 06/27/06 09:40 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Wow, I LOVE this new doc!! I saw a new rheumy doc this am, a woman, for a second opinion. She was wonderful! I had handed her my 4 page typed out summary of the last year and she was just amazed at the lack of care I have received! She actually listened to me, spent an entire hour with me, than had x-rays done and spent another half hour with me!

She believes I've had RA for probably 5-7 years, minimum. She absolutely believes thats why I can't carry a pregnancy. The x-rays showed bone erosions in 8 fingers, 6 toes, both knees, shoulders, hips and the little bone at the top of my spine. I have about 20% of the cartilage left in my knees and she said the deformities in my fingers will not go away. She was very blunt but very "real" and very caring. She said she is amazed that I'm even making it to work everyday.

She was part of the clinical trials for all the biologic drugs for RA. She said that since I already have organ involvement, we need to be super aggressive. She is increasing the steroids, not real happy about that but she said if I don't get the swelling down, I will have permanent nerve damage. I started crying and told her I was already fat and she hugged me and said not to even give that a second thought right now. She said the steroids change your metabolism and make you store fat, that I WILL gain weight no matter how careful I am and its ok, that we will deal with the weight later. She is doubling the dose of the Enbrel injections and Imuran I'm on. I'll do this for a month. Than, I'll take a few weeks off the Enbrel and than start Humira instead.

Basically, "normal" people produce a particular protein, people with RA produce WAY too much of this protein. The Enbrel tries to "mop up" the extra protein and the Humira actually stops the production of this protein. My body can not tell healthy tissue from foreign tissue so my body is attacking itself, eating all the bones and soft tissue. Its attacking my babies when I do get pregnant, thats why I can't carry a baby.

She said the increase in medications my make me feel sicker to begin with but she believes that within 6-9 months, I should be feeling a lot better. She said if not, then we will have to go to a cancer drug and remicade and one other drug thats pretty nasty. She is saving that for the "if everything else fails" because it would pretty much mean that I won't be able to ever even try to have a baby because the drugs are so toxic they cause birth defects, even after you have stopped them. She said MAYBE next spring, if I'm in remission, we could try to get pregnant but she said I'd have to brace myself for another loss, she said as far as my disease has progressed, even once its under control, maybe a 40% chance of carrying a baby to term.

She is calling in a script for some pain patches for my chest. She said my breathing is way too shallow because of the amount of swelling in there and its got to be controlled. She said I have a 50% chance of getting Lymphoma from the drugs and the fact that I have RA increases the chance as well.

All in all, a bit of grime news. However, I feel better already knowing that I'm not crazy! When I told her it took so long to get treated and kept getting told I was just depressed, I thought she was going to explode! She said if I WASN'T depressed, she's be worried! She said with all the pain, the miscarriages, the fact that no dr has treated my properly, she was amazed that I wasn't in a funny farm!

She said there will be more pain and weakness and sickness from the medications but that if I can stick to it, that she promised she would do everything possible to get me feeling better and improve my quality of life.

I go in tomorrow morning for some more blood work and she will call me if that shows anything else. I'm SO glad I made this appointment! Just having the validation that I'm not crazy helps a lot. To actually see the damage on the x-rays makes me feel justified in my complaints. Its funny how a doctor can tell you how bad something is but also make you feel so much better about it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Had a GREAT doctors appt this morning! new
      #271168 - 06/27/06 09:46 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Wow Michele, your new doc sounds great. Really caring. It is scary how badly you have been cared for the last few years. It must feel scary but empowering to know what is causing all the pain and that it's not in your head etc and that together with her that you can take steps to get yourself better.

Also, it was good to get her opinion on the mc's and what caused them, and for her to tell you her honest prognosis on that instead of you wondering and waiting.

I'm really happy that you finally are getting some good medical care and while the news isn't pretty at least you have someone now who knows how to treat you, relieve your pain and get you better.

--------------------
S.

#271169 - 06/27/06 09:49 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

This is very bittersweet news. But mostly good to know that you have a plan and that someone is wanting to work with you and won't brush you aside. I'm so glad to hear you sound more optimistic and hopeful. And it's fantastic that your doc is up front with you about what is going on and how you are going to have to attack it. I hope everything goes well.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Michele new
      #271194 - 06/27/06 10:55 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I am so glad that you went for a second opinion. I had a feeling that she was going to have a better bedside manner than your other Rheumy doc. Shame on him for not treating you aggressivly enough.

I know she didn't give you great news but you already knew you were feeling terrible. I know it must be wonderful to have a doctor who actually believes everything you are experiencing and is so willing to help you get the RA under control. You have been through so much and now there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hugs,

--------------------
Janey

#271195 - 06/27/06 10:58 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Michele, you are definitely NOT crazy! You've been right all along, knowing something more was up and that more could be doen to help you, and I remember months ago when you believed that the RA could be the cause of your miscarriages. Finally, you have a smart doctor, one who will listen and, most importantly, help you.

"Its funny how a doctor can tell you how bad something is but also make you feel so much better about it!"

Your rheumy sounds wonderful! I'm sorry the news about how your RA is progressing wasn't better, but I'm really hoping that the new treatments will give you more relief and slow down the RA.

Gentle hugs!

#271198 - 06/27/06 11:04 AM
michele

Thanks Maria! Yes, I feel SO much better just knowing she is going to help me!! The news was a little more grim than I had hoped but I feel much mor epositive about the future! Funny how that works!

--------------------

Re: Michele new
      #271200 - 06/27/06 11:07 AM
michele

Thanks Janey! She was a quirky lady but I liked her very much! I'm SO glad I found her!! It wasn't fun listening to all the crap thats wrong with me but it was reasurring to know that she has a plan!

--------------------

#271201 - 06/27/06 11:08 AM
michele

Thank hohoyumyum! I KNEW things were bad, maybe not this bad but overall, I feel better just knowing she is going to try and help!

--------------------

#271203 - 06/27/06 11:10 AM
michele

Thanks Cailin! Yes, it was actually a bit of relief to see the bone damage on the x-rays. I know that sounds odd but at least I know WHY I hurt so bad. She was brutally honest but she was very caring and I agree, I'd rather know what I'm up against.

--------------------

Re: Michele new
      #271204 - 06/27/06 11:11 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Now you don't have to go back to the other guy. Even your eye doc was upset with this guy for not treating you aggressively enough.

I am so glad that you decided to seek a second opinion. A perfect example of how we know our bodies and we must take an active interest in our own healthcare.

I know she told you a lot of things that sound bad but I got a feeling of hope from your message. Just knowing you have someone who cares about getting you well makes all the difference.

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 422 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5988

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review