All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Getting real with life....could use advice about $$.
      #271121 - 06/26/06 09:20 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Today I felt like I needed to get real with this impending life, and take care of some needed business....4 days till his stuff is gone and it's OFFICIAL.

I got a fair bit accomplished-took in bottles (whopping $4.00 thank you.), found a website that's a free local E-bay to sell some extra stuff (furniture,clothes etc)I've amassed over the last while...called a credit company for advice...planning on cutting the cable to basic, thus saving $ every month. Talked to them but of course the cable is in my BELOVEDs name,lol...so I'll get him to call it in tomorrow.

Also trading in my SUV for a car-it results in about $30 a month higher payments but it'll be paid off sooner, and there will be cheaper insurance and WAY cheaper gas...so that'll save me over $100 a month...

I've had two credit cards transferred to lower rates, and am paying more toward my line of credit...

Sucks to have to do this all now, because I would have done it a year ago if I knew that jerk face was going to leave me reeling.I'd NEVER have leased an SUV either. I wasn't comfortable with it in the first place but he goaded me into it.

If anyone can think of another way for me to save money, that'd be awesome. I really feel I need this computer but if all else fails I guess I can give it and the payment up as well. I'm going to limit electricity and water used as well, which should help a bit. Just not 100% counting on Mr. Perfect to come through anymore.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting real with life....could use advice about $$. new
      #271130 - 06/26/06 10:14 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

You covered a lot already. Here are a couple of other ideas:
-switching to a broadband phone company (something like Vonage). OR
-cancel your home phone altogether and just use a cell phone
-In the states, some utility companies let you go on a "level payment" plan so that you pay the same for electricity each month instead of having really high bills at one time of year and small ones at another.
-My local electric company has a deal where you let them install a switch on your a/c that allows them to turn it off for predetermined periods of time when power usage is high. In return, you save up to $200 over the summer on your bill. I don't know if you even use/need a/c, but you might look into it.
-coupons! I usually don't take the time to do all the work, but you can save a lot of dough by shopping sales and getting double coupon rewards.

That's all I can think of right now. I know some of the other regulars on here live on fairly tight incomes, so they'll probably be along with some good ideas for ya.

Good luck and big hugs!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Oh yeah- forgot to add we're cancelling the home phone new
      #271135 - 06/26/06 10:41 PM
_Willow

and that we are already on a contract for our heat etc.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#271143 - 06/27/06 05:25 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hey Shan, good job getting yourself together -- I'm impressed! I'm just going to try to think of the little things I do to pinch pennies ...

Shop for pharmacy stuff at www.drugstore.com and get on their email list for sales and cupons ... quit drinking bottled water if you do drink it, and get a Brita or a Pur pitcher or faucet filter ... get books and movies from the library instead of buying or renting from a store ... If you are close to paying certain things off (your computer, maybe?) see if you can accelerate the payments. You'll pay more each month but you'll save overall by paying less interest ... Run your dishwasher at night instead of during the day, so your a/c doesn't have to work so hard ... buy generic everything, they are usually identical to brand names ... buy meat / fish / etc in bulk, and then sort them into smaller baggies in your freezer.

Now that you've gotten rid of your home phone, you might want to increase your cell minutes, because going over your allotted minutes will be very expensive!

That's basically all I do to save. I live in the city so I don't have a car to worry about, and I know that's huge. Oh also if you need to get new stuff once the jerk is out or once you move, look into home depot -- they usually give either six months or one year with no payments or intrest for payments over 200, or something like that.

Good luck shannon, we're rooting for you!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#271144 - 06/27/06 05:35 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

About the cable, cable around here is about $50 US, but we have something even more even more basic than basic cable.

It's so basic, you have to ask for it. It cost us a whopping $9.50 a month. We get the 5 regular networks, 2 PBS stations, and a few other things. Works for us.

You might also check to see if your community has a freecycle network if there's something you need.

#271147 - 06/27/06 06:35 AM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

There are some great websites online for saving money and living Frugal.
www.budget101.com (even has a $10 grocery list to feed your family for a week on)
www.miserlymoms.com
www.oldfashionedliving.com
www.frugalhomemaker.com

#271153 - 06/27/06 07:58 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Only have a moment now but I'll get back with you later...

If you haven't already cancelled those higher rate credit cards, don't. I found out from our financial planner that you can leave them open forever, it doesn't hurt you...it actually helps with your credit...because even though you're not using it, it shows that your credit was good. So...keep 'em open because they look at history and you won't have history with the new cards.

If you already have...no worries...just know for next time!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#271165 - 06/27/06 09:40 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Shannon,

Good work in looking at things head on and dealing with them:

Some tips I use when I am being frugal:
-work only in cash, no debit or credit cards as they don't feel like real money
-like Panda said generic brands and bulk buying
-before you buy ANYTHING stop and ask yourself "Do I really need this?" I found I was spending so much on magazines/newspapers/drinks/treats when I would pop into the shop for bread.
- I also found that doing a spreadsheet (sounds very OTT/Monica I know) every payday with a column for what comes in and another column for what is going out, and an entry for every item you spend money on, really helps to focus you and realise how much you actually spend on frivolous things that you didn't need. I also analysed my spending at the end of every month to see what percentage was going on what, and got some surprises. It's only when you KNOW how much you earn and how much you spend that you can cut it. The first month I did it I realised that I spent €200 that month more than I had earned and that quickly brought me back to reality.
- I really recommended consolidating your debt, have only one repayment to make, take out a low cost loan instead of having the two credit cards. Live solely on cash.

Do you have voluntary money advice bureau's over there? We have them here and they are a great service to help people figure out how to use their money wisely and to reduce debt etc.

Good luck with the cutbacks and sensibleness

--------------------
S.

#271189 - 06/27/06 10:40 AM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

IF I have one thing to say its that your daughter should stay with you. Your EX is a is so Gross I think he is a bad influence on her

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

#271192 - 06/27/06 10:50 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Shannon,

It is good to hear you sound so positive about your future and also that you are taking control of your life and your finances.

Everyone has given you good ideas. The budget plans are the way to go because you will know exactly what your bills are each month instead of being surprised.

We just got the vonage phone and we pay one price each month which includes all long distance calls in US, Canada and even some places in Europe and of course all local calls. You do need to watch out for your cell phone because they charge quite a bit if you go over your minutes.

--------------------
Janey

Re: Oh yeah- forgot to add we're cancelling the home phone new
      #271262 - 06/27/06 04:45 PM
Flipada

Cookie,
The only thing to think about when you cancel your home phone is what you'll do when you leave a sitter at home with Kayleigh. Maybe make sure the sitter has a phone? Cuz they might need to call you for something. Just a thought. That's why I haven't cancelled mine.

More $$ savings tips -- What I did when I was a single mom:

If you color/highlight your hair, you might want to let that lapse for awhile...it's expensive. Or you could find another place to go that's cheaper.

The grocery shopping might be more of a hassle but if you have a store like we have (Save A Lot), they have generic and really inexpensive food. I used to go there for anything I could and then I'd make a trip to the other grocery store and get the generic there for the rest. It's a good lesson in economics for kids too. Mine now know that even though the package looks nicer, it doesn't taste any better and it's more expensive.

I also go to Goodwill, The Salvation Army and resale shops for clothing (for the kids AND myself). And I had stuff passed on from other kids in the family.

The kids got toys for Xmas and bdays and if there was some super special occasion. Other than that, I had them save (small allowance 50% savings 50% spending) and if they really wanted something, they could buy it with their own money. Amazing how frugal kids can be when they're spending their own money! I realize your daughter is too young for that yet but it won't be long. And you know what? They appreciated their gifts so much more.

I made sure to eat everything I had in my cupboards and wasted NOTHING.

I think you're making a smart decision with the car. With lower insurance and less costly for gas, you'll really save.

Well...it looks like most of the rest has been covered well by everyone else.

Hope that helps!

--------------------
**Lauren**

#271267 - 06/27/06 05:24 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Hi Shannon,

Don't back down from the child support and alimony payments he owes you. Even if he's crying that he doesn't have enough money, get every penny you are entitled to. It's his fault he's in this situation.

For the financial cutbacks you are doing, the only thing I would do differently is keep the home phone line. Also keep your credit cards. You don't need to use them, but you need to have good credit. A co-worker of mine told me that she put her credit card in a container of water an kept it frozen in the freezer. If she wanted to use it she had to wait hours for it to defrost. That way the frivolous things she didn't buy because she had to wait so long, the need for it fizzled.

Re: Gracie new
      #271279 - 06/27/06 06:26 PM
Flipada

Great idea with the frozen water. I'm no shopper myself but I have a few friends I can suggest that to.
Hilarious! Now there's a woman that knows herself!!

--------------------
**Lauren**

Again, you are getting some good advice .... new
      #271306 - 06/27/06 08:25 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I would add that you set up a savings account and pay yourself 10% and put it away for use later. That might seem hard to do at first, but soon it becomes a habit and it will start to add up quickly. And freezing a card in ice ... I like that!! Stop paying interest on cards. Pay them off.

Keep that smile on your face and your chin up. My father always told me to keep smiling ...
it keeps your adversary anxious and jumpy.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Gracie new
      #271308 - 06/27/06 08:32 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I laughed when I first heard it, then thought it was a good idea.

I second this.. new
      #271342 - 06/28/06 07:09 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

with your daughter around, going to the LOWEST level of cable will leave you with some TV options unless Rabbit ears work well where you are.. in which case, that is more then enough...

I truly agree on the budget suggestions- they are a lifesaver.. and don't just list monthly bills, but things that are due once a quarter, once every 6 months, and once a year too, and put an estimate of what they are. Then break them into monthly payments you make into a savings account or second checking account, so when the big bills come due you have the $$ for them...

credit cards- keep them but don't use them.. pay them off BEFORE you start stashing any $$ for yourself if you can because the interest on them is so high.. get a low interest card and transfer the balances to it so you can pay it off faster!!! definitely track all your spending, even the little cash stuff that you might not even consider- like an allowance or lunch money or milk $ for your daughter...

and don't let the deadbeat get away with not paying- he owes you that money... and you need it to live on- you are seperated and divorcing because he wanted out- not because you did, so milk him for what he owes you... why should you be fighting even harder to support yourself and his daughter just because he's an ass!!

as to ways to cut spending- a home phoen and only use the cell for emergencies and reduce the minutes on it to what will really be used.. or go in with someone and get a second phone on their plan... go for a cheap home phone, get price comparisons that serves your needs- if you never make LD calls, then get a phone that doesn't include them, if you rarely make calls at all, get one that doesn't include unlimited local either..

also- look into bundling packages, or changing providers to take advantage of intro prices to bring costs of services down.. and that cable Bill- if its in his name and you aren't authorized- leave it alone until its turned off, he owes it because you tried to change it... and let him and your attorney know that, then put what you do want with the company into your name.. also.. some companies offer things like lower speed internet packages at good deals, and things like that too...

You will find something out there that works for you.. good luck (and btw- if you are feeling bad taking $$ from him, remember the reason you are paying all these bills, and for childcare, etc is his leaving!)

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Check your long distance plan if you're on one. new
      #271444 - 06/28/06 03:17 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Bell right now has $18 a month for 1200 minutes of long distance anywhere in North America flat rate.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

RYou all have awesome ideas...and so you all know... new
      #271474 - 06/28/06 05:51 PM
_Willow

I have reduced the rates on my credit cards, and I'm on a 4 year cell contract, and JUST got a new phone 2 months ago, so that's why I'm going with a cell. The land line has been cancelled, so I guess if I need a phone with a sitter, I will leave my cell with them or ask them to bring a parent's? I've NEVER used a babysitter before, just family, so that may not be a worry.

We're also down to basic cable-saved $30 a month.

And I do budget, just not everything. I'm getting into the habit of doing insurance and registration stuff.

And don't ANY of you think I'm not going to fight with all my strength to get child support for MY child and HIS child. No way no how will I give that up without a big fight. but I also need to prepare to ive frugally regardless. Gotta get out of debt.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: RYou all have awesome ideas...and so you all know... new
      #271476 - 06/28/06 05:55 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Smart thinking on the child support issue. Ya know, you could cut out cable entirely. My husband and I just use rabbit ears. We mostly think the stuff on TV sucks any, though. And, yes, we have dial-up. For the price we get it at, it's worth it.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Well, for my little one new
      #271641 - 06/29/06 01:21 PM
_Willow

she really likes treehouse and is a MANIAC Dora fan, so I'd rather she be able to watch her fave TV show. I could do without TV entirely, to be honest, but she loves it. I've maybe watched 1/2 hour of TV this week.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Consolidation Loan new
      #271954 - 07/01/06 01:24 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Shannon,

I think everyone else has given you great advice, and someone may have already mentioned this but I think that you might want to ask your bank about getting a consolidation loan for all your payments. I know that you said you went to a lower interest rate on your credit cards, but how much lower? And what does that compare to a personal loan?
I don't know if it works the exact same where you are, but at the bank I work in, it looks sort of like this..
Regular Visa = approx 19%
Low Interest Visa = approx 11% (BUT you pay an annual fee)
Line of Credit = Variable, based on prime (currently at 6% for the Bank of Canada) up to prime + 4, which is still less than the low interest card
Personal Loan = Fixed rate, normally less than 9%

The good thing about most personal loans as well is that they are more flexible, and sometimes offer options for postponing a certain number of payments per year if you need to.
If you can, I would get rid of your credit cards entirely. It's not true that your credit will suffer without them because if you had them, and have paid them off you're all good.. if it is for the short term, I mean.

Sinead's suggestion is a really good one, and we recommend it to people at the bank who are having a real problem over spending on plastic. Alott yourself so much cash per week, and only pay with cash. Then you know how much you have left, and you don't have to worry about paying it back with interest if it's a credit card.

Good luck, so glad to hear things seem to be working out for you a little better.
Congrats on the new job, I just read that post as well - I'm sure you'll do awesome!

Tu vas fille!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 194 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6526

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review