All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sunburn - OUCH!
      #270848 - 06/24/06 06:58 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

So, I was a big dummy today. It was an absolutely, perfectly gorgeous day today. My DH, kids, some friends and I went to the beach. We stayed for 4 hours. I applied sunscreen to all of us. The kids had 50 and I had 29. But DUH....I forgot to reapply. So I'm roasted and my kids have burnt backs. I feel like a terrible mom. Never fails...the first time of the year at the beach I usually forget the rule of reapplication. What's my problem? I'm gonna have to sleep on the couch tonight. I do NOT want to be touched!

Anyway, I got some of that blue cooling gel spray for us but, does anyone have any other great sunburn remedies? I have to be healed my Monday as I have PT where they give me ultrasound massage which is VERY hot and I wouldn't be able to take it otherwise. And I need it! Arghhhh.

Blahhh, what a dummy!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sunburn - OUCH! new
      #270850 - 06/24/06 07:05 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

The only home remedy I know is a cool bath with baking soda in the water - it is supposed to take away the heat of the burn. But I've never tried it! Good luck - have a couple of cool showers anyways to take the heat off!!
Good luck!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Get some Aquaphor healing ointment new
      #270859 - 06/24/06 09:26 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

I know exactly what you are going through. Memorial Day weekend I went out on Sunday for a sailboat race and wound up with a severe sunburn (and windburn) on my extremely sensitive fair skin. Sadly I had three coats of sunscreen applied as directed (half hour before exposure, right before exposure and ninety minutes later) so I can only imagine what would have happened if I hadn't applied any...probably blisters and hospitalized in the burn unit over a couple of days.

I wound up miserable Sunday night and all day Monday from it and went to the dermatology clinic on Tuesday. There they recommended that I continue to take aspirin or Advil (took Tylenol and it worked since the other two upset my stomach) to help with the pain. Take a cool (not cold) shower in the morning and at night. I was told to not use aloe gel that had alcohol in it since it doesn't help the aloe gel absorb correctly. Instead it was recommended that I apply Aquaphor healing ointment (can get it at Walmart, etc.) to the skin every two hours for the first day and then as need the rest of the days. I absolutely can not believe how well this stuff worked in healing it up and keeping me from peeling. When I told my mom what I was using she told me that they use it on the babies and have great success with it and it was good to know it worked on sunburns. Figure since I spent the money for the derm appointment, might as well share the info I learned.

I also got a great recommendation on the Blue Lizard Sunscreen from the derm clinic. Its a bit pricey but it works great compared to what I had been using. The cool thing about the sport sunscreen is that the bottle turns blue when its exposed to UV light- mostly so kids know to keep applying it. I have used that three weekends now and have been so pleased. My fiance has kept using his Coppertone sunscreen and wound up burned while I have been okay. He has also used the Aquaphor and had good success with helping.

Hope you all feel better soon.

-Michelle

Re: Get some Aquaphor healing ointment new
      #270884 - 06/25/06 08:22 AM
Flipada

Ohhh, I'll have to give that a try. That blue stuff I got has alcohol in it. Now I know!
Thanks a ton.

--------------------
**Lauren**

How you feeling today? -nt- new
      #270902 - 06/25/06 01:33 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Re: How you feeling today? -nt- new
      #270904 - 06/25/06 01:41 PM
Flipada

Still a little sore. My kids are complaining a bit too. I went to the store a couple of hours ago and got some of that Aquaphor stuff and I put it on us. Feels okay ...a little like spreading Vaseline all over yourself, though. Gonna give it awhile and see how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for asking!

--------------------
**Lauren**

Put Aloe Vera On it new
      #271031 - 06/26/06 10:32 AM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

It might sting a little at first when you put it on it REALLY HELPS!!!

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

Re: Put Aloe Vera On it new
      #271036 - 06/26/06 10:56 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Vinegar takes the sting out! Taking anti-inflammatories will also help and be sure to stay hydrated! I HATE sunburns! Ouch!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re:Vinegar? new
      #271055 - 06/26/06 01:41 PM
Flipada

Vinegar, eh? Wow...never heard of that one. And thanks, Honey Mix about the Aloe suggestion. I've used that before but wanted to try something different.

We're all a little better today but I had to cancel my Physical Therapy today because ultrasound massage on my lower back would have been hell! Hoping I can still make tomorrow's appt.

--------------------
**Lauren**

Re:Vinegar? new
      #271058 - 06/26/06 02:11 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yep! Vinegar! You'll stink but it DOES take the sting out! Soak some paper towels or a wash cloth and have your hubby gently pat the sun burn with it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 222 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2139

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review