All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
I'm feeling a little better
      #270357 - 06/21/06 10:02 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I thought I'd give an update-I posted a big, long, self-pity post the other morning but I think it got deleted before most people got a chance to read it-technical difficulties with Heathers site, not her fault! Anyways, I thought I'd share that I'm feeling a bit better!

My pain from the RA, fibro, costco and gastritis was running pretty much a solid 8. I've been on the placquneil now since January. The Enbrel (injections) for 7 weeks and the Imuran for almost 2 weeks. Along with a long list of other meds but those are the RA ones! I've been on steroids now for about a month as well. The swelling is down considerably. My hands and ankles are still pretty swollen but not as bad. My knees still hurt and lock up but I can stand and sit on my own. The costco in my chest is still pretty bad but comparatively, my over-all pain is running about a 4. It does go up later in the day but I'm finding I have a bit more energy. I haven't thrown up since the weekend! I'm still having D issues, about 10 times a day but its not bloody anymore so I'm not overly concerned.

I even got up early Monday and did 20 minutes on the elliptical. I got up early again today and did 25 minutes, about 3.5 miles. I think I over did it a bit as I'm really tired and achy but considering I needed help getting off the toilet 3 weeks ago, this is HUGE!

I'm down a total of 16 pounds. I've still got at least 33 more to go-my goal is 150 pounds, I'm 5'8 so I think thats reasonable.

I've been on 10mg of prednisone (steroid) but I've been trying to cut down as they are really bad for you to take. I'm doing 5mg one day and 7.5 the next and that seems to be holding my symptoms at bay. I'm hoping I can continue them for at least another month because by then the Enbrel and Imuran should be working. The dr's are amazed that I'm actually losing weight on steroids as thats unheard of but I'm trying REALLY hard and it makes it a little easier not to gain weight when it hurts to eat.

With the due date of my twins behind me, I feel like I can start looking to the future. I may never have kids and I may battle the RA for the rest of my life but I'm feeling a Little better about things. I think I really needed the break from the pain. I know the steroids are bad but I feel they are a necessary evil right now. So, over-all things are improving. Still taking it one day at a time!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm feeling a little better new
      #270359 - 06/21/06 10:08 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm glad to read that you are feeling better....

I think your goal is very reasonable.....what a great feeling it must be to get on that elliptical each time..

You are so brave.... and I'm so proud of you...

Lovin the chipper Michele

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Im so glad... new
      #270360 - 06/21/06 10:11 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

atleast things are seeming a little bit better...I just wish I could wave a magic wand and cure you of everything....but you have great strength and a very positive attitude to things so I know you will come through this...I just hope one day you can be totally pain free! Am sending you more and more hugs by the day...and hope things get better soon.

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))

--------------------
Natalie

I'm glad that you're feeling better. *nt new
      #270367 - 06/21/06 10:43 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#270378 - 06/21/06 11:58 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I'm glad things are looking up for you! Thats a great attitude. I know you're in a lot of pain etc, but a person's mood can greatly effect their ultimate outcome (believe it or not)

Did you ever see my reply to your longer thread?

--------------------

#270383 - 06/21/06 12:14 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I'm glad things are looking up! It's nice that you're losing weight but it's too bad it has to be in such an unpleasant manner.

You've been on the Plaquenil a long time -- do you think that's started to help at all? or is it really too hard to tell?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#270385 - 06/21/06 12:17 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Glad to hear this! I've been thinking about you a lot and wondering how you were doing. Ugh - I'm sorry you've been dealing with D on top of everything else. Those multiple trips to the toilet are especially hard when it's already difficult just to sit and stand. Take care. I hope you continue to see improvement!

#270393 - 06/21/06 12:55 PM
michele

Thanks Maria! I just wish I knew for sure if it was the steroids that are helping or if the other meds are kicking in but I feel too good to mess with anything right now!

--------------------

#270395 - 06/21/06 12:57 PM
michele

I doubt its the placquenil. I think I would have notice improvement from that a month or two ago. Its really the least strong medication they use for it. The Enbrel and Imuran and the "big guns" as the rheumy puts it! I believe its more the steroids at the moment that are helping. They were a last resort because of all the nasty side effects but so far so good!

--------------------

#270397 - 06/21/06 12:59 PM
michele

Dr. spice! No, I don't think I had a chance to see your reply to my other post before it got deleted. I do believe mental thinking can affect your physical health, its just hard to keep a positive mental health when your physical self is a wreck!

--------------------

Re: Im so glad... new
      #270398 - 06/21/06 01:00 PM
michele

Thanks Natalie! Definitely can use the hugs!!

--------------------

#270400 - 06/21/06 01:02 PM
michele

Thanks ShellMar! I'm not sure how brave I am but thanks! Yeah, I get up on the elliptical and think "stupid disease, stupid disease, stupid disease" and let my anger lose, great therapy!

--------------------

#270403 - 06/21/06 01:12 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Michele,

I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better. Maybe all the meds are finally kicking in and doing their job.

Love and hugs,

--------------------
Janey

#270404 - 06/21/06 01:17 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Yes, you are brave.....

Great therapy is right....

Quote:

Thanks ShellMar! I'm not sure how brave I am but thanks! Yeah, I get up on the elliptical and think "stupid disease, stupid disease, stupid disease" and let my anger lose, great therapy!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Michelle~ new
      #270425 - 06/21/06 04:42 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

It breaks my heart to read all the things that you have to deal with! OMG I don't know how you stay so "up". I guess when you've dealt with your issues for so long you kinda, maybe get used to it? But how???!?!? I'm thankful for having only my small problems(which sometimes seem big)but geez...all you go through, you are a tough cookie girl! I admire you!!

How's that adorable Harley? Haven't seen any pics of his new bows? How many does he have about now? 100????? I'd probably be the same way if I could get bows in my monster dog's hair. Somehow it wouldn't be as cute!

Hang in there Michelle and keep your chin up like you've been doing. God only gives us as much as we can handle. I think he's almost about done with you! Things will look up real soon!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

And this should make you feel even better...I hope. new
      #270452 - 06/21/06 06:44 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

A young guy from Minnesota moves to Florida and goes to a big "everything under one roof" department store looking for a job. The Manager says, "Do you have any sales experience?" The kid says "Yeah. I was a salesman back in Minnesota." Well, the boss liked the kid and gave him the job. "You start tomorrow. I'll come down after we close and see how you did." His first day on the job was rough, but he got through it. After the store was locked up, the boss came to see him. "How many customers bought something from you today? The kid says "one". The boss says "Just one? Our sales people average 20 to 30 customers a day. How much was the sale for?" The kid says "$101,237.65".The boss says "$101,237.65? What the heck did you sell?" The kid says, "First, I sold him a small fish hook. Then I sold him a medium fishhook. Then I sold him a larger fishhook. Then I sold him a new fishing rod. Then I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down the coast, so I told him he was going to need a boat, so we went down to the boat department and I sold him a twin engine Chris Craft. Then he said he didn't think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him down to the automotive department and sold him that 4x4 Expedition." The boss said "A guy came in here to buy a fish hook and you sold him a BOAT and a TRUCK is that right?" And kid answered "No, the guy came in here to buy Tampons for his wife, and I said, 'Dude, your weekend's shot, you should go fishing.' "

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

I'm glad to hear it! new
      #270454 - 06/21/06 06:47 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

You have been through so much in the past couple of years, Michele! I admire you for still standing! I hope things keep getting better and better and that the "4" becomes a "0"!

Hugs,

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: I'm glad to hear it! new
      #270471 - 06/21/06 08:03 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Hugs all around. Glad to hear you're feeling better. Reading what you've gone through makes me feel like a real whiner. Sending more positive thoughts your way.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#270476 - 06/21/06 08:50 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I'm glad you're feeling better. What is costco? Where I live, it's a store.

Re: So glad you're feeling a bit better new
      #270498 - 06/22/06 05:58 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Yet again your strength is humbling... I honestly don't know how you do it.

Here's hoping the improvements continue, and you can get off the steroids without further problems. Great to see you post a smile!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Re: So glad you're feeling a bit better new
      #270508 - 06/22/06 07:01 AM
michele

Thanks Blondie! Nice to see you, you've been mia for a few days!

--------------------

I missed the other post.. but glad to see you are so much better! new
      #270509 - 06/22/06 07:04 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

once life calms down (end of Aug) maybe we'll be able to do something now that you are feeling better!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Costochondritis new
      #270514 - 06/22/06 07:15 AM
michele

Costo for short, is an inflammation of the cartilage in the chest and between the ribs. Basically your chest is made up of a lot of cartilage and soft connective tissue. People who have RA have high amounts of inflammation in there body and sometimes the inflammation moves to there chest, then they call it Costochondritis. Just as the Gastritis is an inflammation of the gastric muscles, or stomach lining. Basically anything that ends in "ITIS" is some sort of inflammation! Anyone can get costo or any other sort of "itis" but its seen a lot in people with RA as they already have lots of inflammation in there body. Basically, it just means that my RA is spreading through my entire body, instead of sticking with the typical hands, feet, knee's, elbow kind of thing. Its in my eyes, my chest and my stomach. So far, we haven't noticed any organ involvement yet however I get my blood checked every two weeks to keep on eye on several different levels, like my white blood cell count and my liver, which are usually the first two major complications of RA and the treatments of it!

--------------------

#270516 - 06/22/06 07:17 AM
michele

Thanks Christine! Some days is a huge struggle to stand but it seems I still have a little life left in me yet!

--------------------

#270517 - 06/22/06 07:19 AM
michele

You should never feel like a whiner! We all have our own issues and pain to deal with and just because someone else is also struggling, it doesn't diminish your pain or struggling! Hugs back at'cha!

--------------------

Re: HEHEHEHE!! new
      #270518 - 06/22/06 07:20 AM
michele

Thats funny! Thanks for the laugh!

--------------------

Re: LittleLisa~ new
      #270524 - 06/22/06 07:29 AM
michele

"God only gives us as much as we can handle. I think he's almost about done with you! Things will look up real soon!!! " BOY, I SURE HOPE SO!!!!!!

You know, some days its very, VERY difficult to find the strength to keep on going. Some days, I am a complete wreck. But every once in a blue moon, I have a day where I look around and see the sun and the flowers, my husband and Harley and I just seem to be able to say "ok, this is do-able." I just keep hoping that I have more and more of those days. I know I will never feel great, I may never have the child(ren) that I dream of but I'm trying to learn to be happy with what I do have, no matter how little it seems some days.

--------------------

Re: LittleLisa~ new
      #270525 - 06/22/06 07:38 AM
michele

P.s My hubby has been hogging the camera! I asked him for it this morning and he said he needed it to take pictures of some gear his is selling! Hopefully next week I'll have some new pictures of Harley! I actually did just get some new bows last week! He's got this funky 70's print bow in today, it may be a bit on the girlie side but its really too cute! His hair is getting SO long and his puppy coat is starting to come out so we are having some problems with matting. I just ordered a $30 hairbrush for him!!! and some fancy detangler stuff they use on show dogs! Don't think he is spoiled rotten, do ya?

--------------------

Re: Yeah I know... new
      #270535 - 06/22/06 09:14 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Been feeling really down, despite everyone else feeling I'm already doing better after my 1st hypno session. Possibly because of my driving anxiety, sleep patterns, study and financial situation. I'm facing some big decisions in 2 of those areas & maybe it's just feeling like too much. But then I read your posts and feel so pathetic, I used to be strong like you but not anymore!!

I have been lurking though, checking everyone's ok

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

micelle and blondie new
      #270573 - 06/22/06 02:01 PM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

glad ur doing ok, well a bit better michelle. your a darling and i admire your strength and bravery. I wish i had your ability to deal with things like you do.

Blondie don`t be sad, if you need a chat email me anytime.

sending you both big huggles xx

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

Re: Yeah I know... new
      #270686 - 06/23/06 07:20 AM
michele

Cheer up sweetie. Life sucks sometimes and having to make decisions, especially BIG ones is always stressful but remember take it one day at a time-one problem at a time, one minute at a time if you need to! Slow down, take a deep breath and try and focus on ONE issue at a time, looking at everything at once can be very overwhelming. Set LITTLE goals for yourself, even if its just cleaning the bathroom or washing the dishes, or walking to the corner store. Once you start accomplishing the little goals, than set larger ones but be sure they are still realistic for your situation. Climbing Mt. Everest is out of the question for me but being able to walk my dog and work-out at least a little every other day are possible, if I work at it! Having a baby may be out of the question but not bursting into tears at the sight of every baby should be do-able with time, therapy and acceptance.

We all have our issues, our pain and our joys, try not to dwell on what you don't have but what you DO have instead, no matter how little it may seem some days! At the BARE minimum you have lots of friends and support here, sounds like a very loving man in your life and you are working on getting better with the hypno!! Hugs and lots of love!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 257 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5145

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review