All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: I don't know....I've been married new
      #270424 - 06/21/06 04:33 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

for 15 years and aren't registeries for your wedding Shower????? I never heard of registering for a actual wedding gift. Don't get me wrong, I wanted money also as a wedding gift and I am also one of those people that GIVE money as wedding gifts but I personally think it's tacky to say anything about a gift in a wedding invitation. You are always gonna have your "elderly" people that insist on gifts because they are from the old school and don't believe in giving money. To be very honest with you one gift I got from a great Aunt was a Lenox candy dish. I openend it, put it back in the box and put it in my hope chest for later in life. What the heck was I gonna do with a dressy Lenox candy dish at the age of 23??? My house was decorated contemporary, that dish would not match at all. Years went by, my taste changed and I came across the dish and was like OMG I own a piece of LENOX?!?!? I took it out and set it on our end table and was so proud of it. I even cherish it more now that my Aunt has since passed away.

I guess the moral to my story is, yes money is nice to have because you can spend it however, but gifts are also nice too since they can have meaning.

Congrats on your getting married and good luck with the planning

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: more wedding details (warning long post) new
      #270426 - 06/21/06 04:44 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

My music teacher (who is the greatest friend ever) is getting married this summer, and this is how she did it.

She included a separate pice of paper with a map to the church and reception hall, and on the back, a list of written directions, accommodations around town and at the bottom all the registry info.

It says:
The best gift to us is your presence at our wedding. However, if you cannot be persuaded that your presence is enough, here are a few ideas. We have just bought a house and dream of having a swimming pool. For this reason, we are starting a 'pool fund', to which you can contribute. We are also registered at the Bay, Pier 1, etc, etc.

It's a delicate and more polite way of putting it.

Re: more wedding details (warning long post) new
      #270511 - 06/22/06 07:09 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

A few notes- a) registries can be listed per ettiquette on seperate papers in shower invites, etc.. but not in the wedding invites.. people do that today anyway, but..
b) traditionally it was word of mouth- let your mothers, etc know where you are registered and when someone asks what to get you then they can be pointed in the right direction..

Good luck!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

don't show me the moneaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy new
      #270609 - 06/22/06 04:33 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Add me to the list of people who don't think it's very polite to ask for money on an invitation. Even if it's on there really tiny and very pretty looking it's still very forward. Spread the word to family/friends by mouth that Money is what you need. Gifts you don't need you can return or exchange. This is a good "miss manners" question though.

Rings are beautiful!

Re: I don't know....I've been married new
      #270715 - 06/23/06 09:46 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I registered for my shower and then at my wedding I received gifts from my registry too. My grandparents thought it would be nice to make sure I had all of the registry stuff I wanted - and it was! Plus, like everyone has said, not everyone will give $$$, some prefer to give a gift.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: my cake topper ... new
      #270809 - 06/24/06 08:29 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I had those little people!! They were called Fisher Price people over here. That blue lady was really curvy with a blonde ponytail. I called mine Maria. I had the green man too. Remember the green boy with the one curl on his head? and the little red girl with blonde hair and a white collar? I loved them all.

We boring people had this as our cake topper, our florist made it.

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1412 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5030

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review