All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Work Issue-Advice?
      #269557 - 06/15/06 05:30 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

So my boss handed in her resignation on Monday. My co-workers and I were surprised but not unhappy. She's become increasingly hard to work for over the last couple of years. (And I understand she thinks I've not noticed because I've not been there as long as the rest of the staff. HAH!)

So now, her job as executive director will be open. I could put in my resume for the position. I haven't decided if I really want to. It would be a huge step up and I believe I am capable. However, I'm not sure I want to be in
charge at this point. And if I didn't get the job, I'm not sure how that would affect my performance in my current position. If I didn't get it, I'd be looking for a new job anyway, but it might take awhile to land something.

I feel like I'd be short-changing myself if I didn't apply on one hand. On the other hand, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Nor do I want to become the stressed out witch my boss has become, and I think there's that potential.

There's more to it but that's the jist of the issue. Anyone have any advice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Work Issue-Advice? new
      #269564 - 06/15/06 06:05 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

If you never apply for a position you will never get it. You said that you will be looking for a new job soon anyway, so apply, if it doesn't work out then you can resign and look for another job.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#269574 - 06/15/06 07:10 AM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

go for it girl, if you don`t get it so what? nothing to loose really if you plan on leaving anyway. Don`t sit back-chase those dreams.Good luck!!!!!

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

#269580 - 06/15/06 07:44 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, go for it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Go for it new
      #269585 - 06/15/06 07:54 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

If you think you are capable (and you know best), why not give yourself the challenge? Sometimes when we give ourselves a challenge in life it opens up a whole new world. Like you said, you'd be looking for a new job anyway. Maybe you can get this and you won't have to. I don't think you'll become a witch either. You can learn fromy our experience with your old boss and make sure that doesn't happen to you. Maybe you'll find you're really good at "being in charge"!

--------------------

I still haven't made up my mind... new
      #269671 - 06/15/06 01:31 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

But I had a bit of a realization about 20 minutes ago. It's not that I don't want to be director. It's that I don't know if I want to be director at my current institution.

I mean, this really is a great place, but having a history here could be a bad thing in some light.

Well... new
      #269677 - 06/15/06 02:01 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

you seem ready for a change, so if it won't happen at your current job, go out there and look for something better!

--------------------

Re: I still haven't made up my mind... new
      #269681 - 06/15/06 02:33 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

It would be a start and help build your job portfolio.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2499

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review