All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I got the "AT LEAST YOU DON"T LOOK SICK" line
      #269546 - 06/15/06 02:33 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

The receptionist at the free phych cliic who was trying to find me the number of the hospital's pain management clinic (THERE WASN"T ONE) told me as I lay weeping after my third failed call to the standard hospital info number, "Oh honey, at least you don't look sick."

TIME STOPPED.

Wait, I KNOW this.

I should fire one back at her. What should it be, Lupus? Tuberculosis? People with AIDS don't look sick, DO they? Or Meningentis, less stigma?

No. I just slumped and wept. Wept softly to myself, head down, stained piece of damp paper scribbled with doctor's notes now a wet mess in my trembling hands. I just shook my head. "Yes, I guess I don't look sick." A Nelly all time low.

I never found a pain clinic at that hospital so I went home. On the Internet I found just a fibromyalgia NIH study that tests SSRIs (which make me suicidal).

Something to talk about with the free conselor today, no doubt. Got to go back to the same place to meet with somemone so I can "Talk it out." Nelly's frustration condensed version, lite. Sponsored by Kleenex.

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I got the "AT LEAST YOU DON"T LOOK SICK" line new
      #269556 - 06/15/06 05:23 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Aw, Nelly! I'm sorry. *HUGS*

#269559 - 06/15/06 05:33 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

that's really awful you had to go through that! some people are just insensitive sometimes I think..... if she really knew what you were going through and the pain you were in she wouldn't have ever said that. But yes it was a really stupid thing to say
I'll be praying for you
love and hugs
Vicky
xxx

#269560 - 06/15/06 05:38 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Bull! ARGHHHHHHH!!! Some people have no empathy!! Yes, you may not look sick, but what do you have to do to be taken seriously? A cast? Shave your head to look like you've lost your hair? A wheelchair (which might come in handy on my weak in the knees days). How utterly and amazingly blatently rude!!! I can't believe you were told that!! It is terrible.
I hope you can find someone / somewhere else to get some help. (((((((((((((((((( HUGS ))))))))))))))))))))))))

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#269570 - 06/15/06 06:56 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Aww. sweet Nel. I tried to respond yesterday but my computer died again. You never cease to amaze me. At an all time low and you've still got your sense of humour.
I wish I could help you.
Sending big huge but very gentle HUGS.
Hang in there!
XOXO
A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#269588 - 06/15/06 07:57 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Ok Girlfriend, you gotta snap out of this!! If you would have told me you tore the woman's head off, I'd feel much better Honestly, people like that really tee me off and I get that line a lot as well. My usual comeback is "well, yeah, my body is just eating itself from the inside out but at least I'll look good in my coffin!" That usually shuts'em pretty quick!

You know I understand the daily pain, the feeling of self worthlessness, the hiding the pills, the shame and all the other things we do to try and pretend we are normal-and it does wear us down and sometimes down some more but we always manage to get through each day, somehow.

Not to play shrink or anything but are you having a harder time coping right now because you just got back from your vacation? I know I always get more depressed after returning from even a short weekend away. I could never figure out way, you would think I'd be happy and relaxed and whatnot but I find I feel "let down" in some way-maybe now that your back to "real life" it just seems to overwhelming?

Anyway sweetie, my boss isn't in today so if you want to chat, give me a call!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#269667 - 06/15/06 01:13 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

awww...that was kinda funny at the end...

maybe she meant you were handling your pain well...it does sound insensitve though....but i'm sure she didn't mean it how it was taken, i'd probably taken it that way too...like WTF especially if you are in pain already....

i'm so sorry for your frustrations though, people can be really stupid sometimes hope you feel better

#269670 - 06/15/06 01:30 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

what does she mean atleast you dont look sick? cause you have fibro, youre supposed to or something? sorry im lost

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 531 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1088

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review