All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Mom of teen IBS-new to board
      #269142 - 06/13/06 10:48 AM
treemom11

Reged: 06/13/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

Hello-I'm never posted a message before, so here goes. I'm the mom of a 14 year old with IBS x 3 years. Diet is helping (thanks Heather!). We need stress management, support group, counseling, I'm not sure what's next. He's going into high school in the fall, and I'm hoping for a smooth transition. I hope this is the correct forum. Thanks for your help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome. new
      #269155 - 06/13/06 12:08 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Stress management: try hypno, meditation, yoga...
Support group: try looking under Get Togethers and see if there is anything in your area. If there isn't, you can get people together and start one or he can come on here and talk to people.
I'm not sure how counseling works for IBS. Has anyone else done this? What types of symptoms does he have? Do you know what his triggers are (stress, food...)?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Welcome. *nt new
      #269188 - 06/13/06 01:46 PM
treemom11

Reged: 06/13/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

Diet and stress are triggers-we have been doing better with the diet part (no dairy, chocolate, low fat, soluble fiber) but stress can really aggrevate his symptoms (cramps, diarrhea). This is a tough age group anyway; I'm sure hormones are a factor as well. I was thinking about the self-hypnosis program. He may do well, since he has always been a very private person anyway. Thanks for the response.

Re: Mom of teen IBS-new to board new
      #269193 - 06/13/06 02:45 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

welcome, it's great you are getting info for your son, it's gotta be hard to have IBs and go to high school. looking back i had a hint of ibs, but got full blown in my adulthood...there is alot of support here, and counsoling and stress management will help alot, especially for a younger person, trying to fit in, and everything...teenage years are hard enough, good luck and welcome

Re: Mom of teen IBS-new to board new
      #269203 - 06/13/06 03:37 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

How about your son using the message boards ... might give him someplace to vent off some steam, and he might find someone his age that he could relate to. There are some other teens using these boards.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Welcome. *nt new
      #269490 - 06/14/06 06:15 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

My Ibs started when I was about 11 or 12. The teen years are hard enough w/o stuff like IBS to deal with. Hormones definately have an effect on IBS. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2720 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 760

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review