All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Random question about organ donation..
      #268879 - 06/12/06 11:05 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

This is a completely random question, but my sister asked me about it last night, and I didn't really know the answers (of course i've heard the rumors too, but was wondering if there is any truth in the matter)..

Anyways.. on my drivers license I've always said that I'd be an organ donor, as did the rest of my family. My sister is in need of renewing her license, and is contemplating removing the fact that she'll donate her organs. This is because of some information she read about that said that doctors will not try ot save you if you're in a crash and if your license indicates that you are an organ donor (ie they won't pull out all stops to save your life etc.) I've also heard the rumors like I said, but I'm wondering if there is any truth to this, or if it is just that- a rumor.

Anyone know anything about this?

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Random question about organ donation.. new
      #268887 - 06/12/06 11:21 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I think thats just a rumor but can't say I know for absolute sure. Saying you want to be an organ donor is not the same as a DNR (do not resuscitate) order!! I can see how the rumor might begin because so many people are in need of organs but I just can't imagine any ethical dr letting someone die just to harvest there organs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#268927 - 06/12/06 01:10 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks.. I'm thinking its probably just a rumor.. but i've heard it multiple times throughout my life.

ie they need to rush to get your organs out asap or else they will die as well.

--------------------

#268930 - 06/12/06 01:18 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I've heard this before, and though I don't think it's on Snopes, I've also read articles dismissing this as totally fictitious. I SERIOUSLY doubt that a doctor would let someone die just to save someone else. I mean, for starters, it just doesn't make sense (unless the doctor's ailing wife is next on the donor list or something), plus even if one or two people felt that way, there would be others who wouldn't. Have you ever gone into the ER after a car crash? I have. I only had minor injuries and there were STILL like eight people swarming around me. If it was obvious that a victim still had a chance, and the doctor clearly wasn't doing it, people would notice. Plus, even if you ARE a donor, there is no guarantee your organs will even be usable -- I don't know stats, but I think there's only a small percentage of donated organs that are actually viable.

Oh, and it is not enough to just say on your driver's license that you want to be an organ donor -- it is up to your family after your death, unless you've done all the advance directives stuff. So, since I want to be an organ donor, I put it on my driver's license and carry around a signed card indicating I want my organs donated, plus every couple months I mention to my husband, "Don't forget I want to be an organ donor if I die!" And he says, "I know. Stop telling me that."

We none of us know what's on the other side -- but considering as how our physical body quickly rots away and becomes dust in the ground, I don't see any reason for hanging onto any useful body parts once I'm dead. I think organ donation is great and I wish that more people would do it.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#268977 - 06/12/06 04:04 PM
babakagirl22

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

Ashley, your organs won't die for quite awhile as long as the doctors keep you heart beating, even if you are brain dead. I know that people worry about that but it is 99% false. Like someone else said, a DNR is what would allow doctors to not bring you back. I for one have mine signed, and I think they still speak to the relatives before taking action even if you have your license signed. HTH a little1!!

--------------------
Marci.

For everything there is a season...

#269018 - 06/12/06 06:41 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

great.. that eases my mind a little. I wasn't that worried about it.. but I figured i'd ask.

I too am all for organ donation in the event that its ever necessary (I hope to god its not..) but if it were i'd rather be saving someone else, or helping someone else see, hear, survive etc. I agree.. if we are going to rot under the ground.. might as well help someone else who is in need.

--------------------

#269020 - 06/12/06 06:57 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05

Hi Ashley~
My husband is a paramedic/Firefighter and he said they dont even check for this when he is adminstering care and when they get to the hospital the first thing they do is try to stablize the patient. Doctors hardly check for a license to see if they are an organ donor or not. That happens after a patient has died. Hope this helps.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 560 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review