All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
sad day
      #267899 - 06/06/06 12:12 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

i went to the dr today with my mom, she was diagnosed with alzheimers (not sure if i have the correct spelling) do any of you know anyone with it? and if so, how do you deal?

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: sad day new
      #267903 - 06/06/06 12:18 PM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

aw darling, i just wanted to send you and your mum big hugs. Hope your ok. don`t realy know what to say. I`m thinking of you. Jo x

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

#267904 - 06/06/06 12:19 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm sooo sorry {{hugs}}

I don't know much about it...but I think Bevrs might.....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: No This is terrible new
      #267906 - 06/06/06 12:22 PM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

I have met someone with Alzhimers he is in his 80s The only think I can tell you its harder on them than it is on you they get frusterated because they can't remember then they can't remember anything just tell her her most happist memerios she wont forget them

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

Hey chely... new
      #267907 - 06/06/06 12:22 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Just wanted to send you some hugs....Im sorry you've had to hear such bad news. I know there are a lot of things people can do for alzheimers these days...plenty of people are controlled for years before things get worse. I have witnessed a couple of the extreme cases unfortunately...and its such an aweful disease....I hope they manage to get your mum on the right sort of medication that works for her...I know that can be a trying time...and Im keeping you and your mum in my thoughts...stay strong...

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Hey chely... new
      #267911 - 06/06/06 12:32 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

thanks so much everyone! .. shes on meds now for it.. shes only 63..he said shes at the beginning of it.. and theres no way of telling how slow/fast it will go. shes been leaving the stove and oven on, forgetting where shes driving to, cant remember names or what she was just talking about, so she got checked and the neurologist said thats what it was.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

#267913 - 06/06/06 12:35 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

oh no!! I'm so sorry! What a terrible thing to find out today. Did the doctor give you any idea of its course, or next steps?

--------------------

#267921 - 06/06/06 12:57 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hey Chely,

So sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. Alzheimers is an awful diesase for both the person and their family.

My grandmother has had alzheimers for several years now. Her mother had it really bad, so we were sort of expecting it. It was pretty dorment until 2001-ish when she had a stroke. After that, it was pretty much downhill.

She has good days and bad ones. We find that she likes to revert back to a time where she was the most happiest - which means when my mom, aunts, and uncles were all little kids. She'll call some of my little cousins the names of my aunts and uncles.

However, we have also found that she remembers people who haven't changed much. My mom, me and my aunt haven't changed much appearance wise, so she is really good with our names. However, all the grandkids are growing up and changing so much that she just can't keep track.

Fortunately, my grandpa is so awesome at taking care of her. They have a schedule (which helps) and he monitors everything she eats to make sure she keeps her cholestoral and fat intake down. She usually has no problem remembering who he is, although every once in a while she'll talk about some handsome guy named Paul (my grandpa) who she married. Sometimes my mom will stay with her while my grandpa goes to Reno overnight for a break, and although she will repeatedly insist that 'something isn't right', she is usually pretty okay with my mom being there.

Otherwise, we wear name tags at family parties now to help her out so she doesn't feel embarassed not to remember. She got frusterated at first that she couldn't remember anything or even say complete sentances, but now she's completely happy just to enjoy everything and is one of the happiest people I know.

Just thought I'd share some personal experience in hopes that it will help. Again, sorry about your mom's diagnosis. Being diagnosed with Alzheimers is always hard.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Oh Chely.. new
      #267942 - 06/06/06 03:27 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

that is so tough, hope you are doing OK. I am sure you will get the support you need to help your Mom to deal with her illness and help your family to manage too.

Take care

--------------------
S.

#267962 - 06/06/06 04:48 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

My mother in law has had Alzheimer's for the past 5 years. She is living 3 blocks from us in her own house, but one of the daughters (two in town) usually take turns staying overnight with her. We promised her years ago that we would not leave her in a nursing home. We made her house safe for her, and the county health nurse makes stops there to find out how she is doing. Also, many sisters from the church stop and visit and when my wife and I leave town someone steps up to be with her.

It's a sad, sad thing to have happen to anyone. I am sorry for you and especially for your mother. It is a frightening thing for our parents to have to deal with losing what memory they have left.

Certainly there most be help groups in your area. They have been most helpful to us. They understand the plight of our parents and for us. If you live in the states there is certainly help available.

Just one last thing ... get educated about Alzheimer's ... it does not get better. I am sorry...

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2183

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review