All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Thai hospitals are great!
      #267485 - 06/03/06 11:46 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

So I managed to crash my motorbike 2 days ago and was taken to the hospital for xrays and a workup. Let me say, Thai hospitals are wonderful. And cheap too!

I swerved my bike wide to miss a truck which was coming at me in my lane (evidently driving on the right OR the left is up to the driver!!) and I skidded my bike out and went over the sidewalk, bike on top of me. It could have been much worse-- first I MISSED the truck entirely, and second I was able to push the bike off of me and roll into the gutter with nothing but a few scrapes and BIG bruises. Whew! No more biking for me!

I'm reverting back to my bikes are dangerous stance. I haven't riden one since, and don't plan on it.

Lucky for me I was also wearing my helmet, something BF refuses to do. I know, don't get me started.

So I've been kinda laid up for the last few days, just lounging by the hotel pool, scaring small children with my black and green legs. But then my mom called me to tell me that my grandmother in France died. Freaky. About a few hours before my accident. Wow.

So here I sit in Bangkok, just having arrived at the hotel after an hour flight from Phuket. My room's not ready yet, so I'm just catching up a little on the boards and checking my email. I've bought some wonderful things so far including runners for the beds, lots of embriodered tshirts, and the gratuitous couple of Diesel tshirts it seems tourists here are obligated to wear.

I'll try to get on when more of you are online!! Until then!--

~nelly in Thailand~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

yikes, nelly! new
      #267486 - 06/04/06 12:08 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Now why'd ya go do that girl?? I am thinking of you and hoping you heal soon. Spooky!

And make sure you lounge extra hard this time, OK?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Nelly! new
      #267496 - 06/04/06 06:56 AM

Unregistered

I was going to say, what happened to your stand against motorbikes?? Well if I went through what you did I'd say I'd be over them too. Good thing you were a quick thinker and saved yourself from a worse accident. A few days chilling by the pool sounds like just the medicine you need. Sorry to hear about your grandma - that is very odd that it was so close to the time of your "incident".

Well take it easy and I hope you are feeling 100% again soon. I'm headed off for a couple of weeks around Europe on Tuesday so I'll catch you when I get back. AND I've been meaning to talk to you - I'm 90% certain I'm making a move to the DC area and need to pick your brain about some stuff.

Take care and do some more shopping! It's very therapeutic!

Glad you're ok! new
      #267508 - 06/04/06 08:34 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

And can't wait for you to get back so we can catch up!

Have a safe trip back to the States!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Glad that you are ok! new
      #267514 - 06/04/06 09:15 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Nelly!

Glad that you are ok That sounds really scary! I'm always nervous about hospitals in foreign countries so I'm glad you got good treatment and that it didn't cost you too much money. You take care of yourself and enjoy lounging by the pool!

I'm glad you're okay, too -nt- new
      #267548 - 06/04/06 01:56 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

You got it! new
      #267581 - 06/04/06 06:01 PM
Nelly

I am ditching the high adventure for a lazy, glutenous, shopping holiday instead! Electronics here are so cheap. Yesterday I went to the MBK, the major Bangkok shopping center for locals, and I got a faceplate for my cell phone for $3. I love haggling-- BF got a 512 micro SD card and we got a pair of headphone holders thrown in for free after some creative haggling. I'm so glad I learned to count in Thai before I came over!!

~nelly in Thailand~

Sweet!! new
      #267582 - 06/04/06 06:03 PM
Nelly

Brittany in DC?? How cool is THAT! We can get together with Ashley and all hang out!

Have a wonderful safe trip, and I'll catch you when you get back!

~nelly in Thailand~

Re: Glad you're ok! new
      #267583 - 06/04/06 06:04 PM
Nelly

Thanks so much, Mel! I miss seeing you, and I have to get back to Dr. G pronto so I can get this treatment stuff up and running! I hope the house hunting is going well. Give everyone in PA my best!

~nelly in Thailand~

Cost of hospital, in Guinness exchange rate :) new
      #267585 - 06/04/06 06:09 PM
Nelly

The cost was extremely low for what they did. My conversion rate is one Guinness = $6:

One set of xrays = 1/2 a guinness
Additional copy of x-rays for the States = 1/3 a Guinness
Get seen by the doctor = One Guinness

and the best part:

Physixcal therapy:
Sonogram = 1/2 a Guinness
Electrical pulse therapy = 1 Guinness
Elictric massage = 1 Guinness

TOTAL: LESS THAN A NIGHT OUT!

The elictric therapies were to reduce bruising, and they really worked!! I have considerable less bruises than I should after taking the tumble I did.

~nelly in Thailand~

Re: Thai hospitals are great! new
      #267598 - 06/04/06 07:37 PM
dan the redneck man

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Houghton; MI

ouch, did ya have yer leathers on? Hog or cafe racer? Bangkok, reminds me of stiffler...but lets not go there

Re: Cost of hospital, in Guinness exchange rate :) new
      #267672 - 06/05/06 08:29 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

LOVE the Guinness exchange rate! Glad to hear it wasn't worse! I was in the hospital Saturday, even got an ambulance ride-can't even begin to imagine how many Guinness that cost!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

LOL sounds like you're haivng a blast! NM new
      #267715 - 06/05/06 11:14 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I said no message silly!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Nelly! new
      #267944 - 06/06/06 03:32 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

What are you like? Sorry to hear about your grandmother and your accident, the shopping sounds great, hope you are OK.

--------------------
S.

Hope you're feeling better nelly... new
      #267953 - 06/06/06 04:15 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

forgot to post about this earlier and just seen it bumped now...I ditto what sinead said...what are you like hey!! Hope those bruises heal quick and that you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

--------------------
Natalie

Yes, I am USELESS! LOL! new
      #268067 - 06/07/06 06:32 AM
Nelly

I am doing much better, my bruises are healing and they have lost their scaring power.

I did more shopping today [shocker!] and took a bunch of llast minute pictures to make up for the sad lack of pics I've taken so far. We're getting ready to go out for dinner, nd I'm wearing my new diamond and saffire earings, which I might decide to take off before hitting the fish market.

I fly out in about 5 hours, so I'm keeping awake until 1am when my flight leaves for Seoul. Ah, glorious five-hour flight, folowed by another snappy 13 hour one to DC. Ugh.

So time to pack myself with some safe foods for my trip. Talk to you all soon when I get back, lots of interesting stories, including a hillarious jaunt with a monkey at a run down Bangkok zoo which left me witht six or seven monkey bites on my knee! The hillarity and excitement ensues!!

~nelly in Thailand~

Have a safe flight... new
      #268087 - 06/07/06 08:27 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

...monkey bites eh? Hope you have your rabies shot up to date! Looking forward to seeing pics.

--------------------
S.

Monkey bites! new
      #268127 - 06/07/06 12:09 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

You're so going to have to fill me in on that one, considering Mac's slight obsession with monkeys (I adopted a squirrel moneky at the Philly Zoo for him as a graduation present, he loved it).

Have a safe trip back and talk to you soon!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 578 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3682

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review