All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
REALLY STUPID QUESTION..........computer related
      #266581 - 05/31/06 06:14 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

I have a laptop that I will be using this summer when I travel (When one works for a small company...the office goes on vacation with you!). I may be going to Japan as my father is ill and though it isn't life threatening, may need to go out there.

I have wireless capability so I know that should I be in a location that has wireless access, all I have to do is fire up my internet explorer and it will come on. I just bought a blue cord (it will be delivered by office depot today) that looks like an oversized phone cord for when I don't have wireless. Now...my question is, where do I plug in the side that doesn't go into the computer? I take it here in my house that I can plug it into my line that has the DSL in it and go.

If I am at a hotel or car repair place or Starbucks...am I correct in assuming that they are paying for access and it is there for me to use?

I feel like a total moron as I am much brighter than this post makes me look but since I never needed my other laptop for the internet, I am totally clueless.

Major thunderstorm coming through...gotta turn the computer off!

Have a great day everyone!

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: REALLY STUPID QUESTION..........computer related new
      #266586 - 05/31/06 06:22 AM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

If the hotel has internet access but not wireless there should be somewhere you can plug it in like a telephone line slot....I think - is that even what you meant, am I even answering the question right ???? ...I am not an expert but I bet Caroline (Blondie) will know. If not I will ask my boyfriends brother...he is a techno guy.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

Re: REALLY STUPID QUESTION..........computer related new
      #266591 - 05/31/06 06:38 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

The blue cable you've ordered - does it have one small plug(to go into your laptop ) at one end and a larger plug at the other end? Or does it have 2 small ones?

(Bear in mind this answer comes from a Brit who travelled to the US a lot with work, not from an American) If the other end is a smaller plug it can plug into either network jacks (like you'd have in your office) or, I think, an American phone line. Whereas in the UK (and probably much of the world, though I haven't been to Japan) you can only plug the smaller plug into a network jack or DSL/broadband jack. Our normal phone line jacks take bigger plugs - they look like the smaller ones, but wider, and the little bit you have to press to plug it in is on one of the short sides not the long side. Pic just below:

Larger plug - a phone line plug in UK (and other places)

The smaller version, what you use for DSL/broadband connections, and also normal American phone lines I think looks like this;

Pic of a smaller plug (called RJ11)

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Edited by Blondie13 (05/31/06 06:49 AM)

Both of your answers make sense... new
      #266606 - 05/31/06 07:53 AM
nomorepooch

My cord will be delivered today so I will know what size the plugs are...I figured that would be the case. If I plug in here at the house I can go to my DSL line and such. I just wasn't sure.

Japan is pretty techno savvy so I am sure they have wireless there.

We will see...thanks!

--------------------
Formerly poochibelly...

The hotel... new
      #266610 - 05/31/06 08:05 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

will usually have some kind of box near the desk/office area of your room that is set up for internet, if they don't have wireless. MOST places have wireless these days, but not all.

--------------------

Re: The hotel... new
      #266611 - 05/31/06 08:14 AM
nomorepooch

Soooo....once I "plug in" and fire up internet explorer will I automatically go to my own isp or theirs and then type into earthlink which is my isp ? Boy...I feel so silly.

--------------------
Formerly poochibelly...

Hope this one makes some sense too... new
      #266616 - 05/31/06 08:51 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Places like Starbucks and airports etc usually have free wireless. Hotels usually charge and most need you to plug in to their network, hence the need for the cable. Some hotels do have wireless but sometimes you need a password to pick it up and they charge you.

Is your laptop network compatible? I think you need this for wireless access in public areas but someone else might be able to confirm this?

--------------------
S.

Re: The hotel... new
      #266618 - 05/31/06 08:57 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I don't know all the lingo, but from watching my husband, you'll go through something the hotel has first. Hopefully it will be free for you and you won't have to pay (some hotels still charge). Most of the time there will be some instructions on how to do it, so don't worry, you'll figure it out!

--------------------

Re: Hope this one makes some sense too... new
      #266619 - 05/31/06 08:58 AM
nomorepooch

It is network compatible from what I understand.

This is all starting to make sense...I know that places like Starbucks do the free wireless thing as a customer draw.

Once I actually travel and figure it all out, I am going to feel silly at how simple it is.

--------------------
Formerly poochibelly...

I've an idea! new
      #266623 - 05/31/06 09:13 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Why not bring the laptop to a local Starbucks or library to practice before you go, so that you will be used to it and will be confident that it will work?

NO COFFEE THOUGH !!!

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5228

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review