All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
What does everyone do when stuck on the toilet?
      #265870 - 05/27/06 04:53 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

(Or, since lots of you on here are stable, what did you used to do when you weren't stable?)

Only asking because, I was on the toilet 2 hours last night, trying my damndest to poo, since I've not been since Tuesday. (Which is really bizarre for me as a pure-bred D'er!)

Whilst I was there I read a bit of an autobiography by a famous UK footballer (soccer), but the moved on to my latest project - since I'm setting up a website I'm teaching myself all the ins and outs, and am reading a 'Creating a Web Site' for Dummies book cover to cover! With time spent on the loo I've already taught myself how to build pc's from scratch, read 6 IBS books, taught myself a whole host of effective, environmentally friendly cleaning methods and got my head into 'decluttering' mode....

So at least all the time stuck on there with D has been slightly productive! Sometimes I take my Ipod in too, put the radio on or take some study in with me.

So just curious how everyone else passes/passed the time?!

PS - nope, I still haven't been. Feel about 5 months pregnant I have that much stuff stuck inside me! This is a whole new experience...

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Suduko for one thing new
      #265873 - 05/27/06 06:38 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Read novels, talk to God, watch TV from afar. (I live alone so I can leave the door open). Many an AI shows were was watched from the comfort of my toilet seat.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: What does everyone do when stuck on the toilet? new
      #265876 - 05/27/06 07:02 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I turn on my lap top computer with wireless internet connection. Lots of reading snd studing, playing with stocks, and visiting with friends.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#265877 - 05/27/06 07:30 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Well, if I can tell ahead of time that I'll be in there awhile, I bring a magazine. If I don't have time to plan that way, I either just sit or read anything I can get my hands on - the back of the hair spray can, shampoo bottle, etc.

#265878 - 05/27/06 07:34 AM
Blondie13

Oh my God, I thought I was the only person who did that!

--------------------

#265881 - 05/27/06 08:50 AM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

Yesterday I was really sick I had D alot but I'm usaully a C So when I run to the toliet I grab a good book a relax and just let it come out while I'm reading.

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

#265888 - 05/27/06 09:16 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I don't have too many horrible experiences anymore as I'm very stable. But when I did I always just sat there and waited. I never had any reading material handy. I guess it always happened so quickly that I always had to run for it and never thought to grab something.

Tommy always brings a magazine or newspaper in with him.

#265895 - 05/27/06 10:26 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Ha, I think it's a guy thing Tina- P, my Dad, my brothers and my boss all read on the loo. (my boss takes his newspaper with him during work and disappears for 15 mins, it's a bit yucky during work to do that I think)

My Mom used to leave trivia books in the bathroom at home and we would all read them. There's usually a newspaper supplement or a Newsweek in our bathroom if I get stuck.

--------------------
S.

OMG, I do that too! new
      #265901 - 05/27/06 10:52 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Reading the back of shampoo bottles and stuff, I *totally* do that when I'm stuck in the loo!
I guess I must figure if I am gonna be stuck in their, wasting part of my day I'll make sure it is not a total waste of time and learn exactly what else is in pantene pro-v, or the correct way to apply deodorant.

If there is something to read in there already, I'll read it but like Tina said a lot of the time it was so "gotta go!" that I wouldn't have time to think about reading material. I also won't go and find something to read and take it in with me if there are other people around - even Adrian - because I just feel.. icky.
I usually have the radio or TV on in the background when I am home alone, so I can usually listen to that from the bathroom.
I also think a lot about renovating my bathroom... and w hat my perfect bathroom would look like. The number of times I have thought about constructing this hugely elaborate bathrooms, I am embarassed to say. Hee hee.

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: OMG, I do that too! new
      #265907 - 05/27/06 11:49 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Yep, soap, shampoo, anything that I can reach that has writing on it. At my brother's therre is usually a stack of magazines to look through.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#265909 - 05/27/06 12:13 PM
Blondie13

Definitely, all my BF's as well as my dad have done it.

It's funny, I used to think it was pretty gross - and now I can't bear the thought of getting stuck on there without something to read! (Though when I listen to my iPod it's in a fully sealed case that I bought because it was 100% waterproof, so I can wash it whenever it leaves the bathroom - I'm a real germ freak, mainly cause I'm phobic of throwing up... )

--------------------

#265913 - 05/27/06 01:18 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Not really a problem now but I used to read (I read at least half of War and Peace on the can), manis and pedis, puzzle books, clean whatever was w/i reach, do homework, talk on the phone (only with very close friends for that one).

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

I'm boring! new
      #265924 - 05/27/06 02:01 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I usually just curl my fingernails into my hands and practice breathing until the attacks pass! I would never have time to grab a book on the way most of the time. And like Blondie, I'm germ phobic. I'd have to put the book inside a ziploc bag!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#265948 - 05/27/06 04:56 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Yes must be a guy thing.

I just wanted to say I also read labels on products like facial creams, etc while on the loo.

Re: I do that too Tina! new
      #265970 - 05/27/06 07:04 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Speaking of.....tonight had a really bad attack. Was in the middle of making some cucumber salad for a picnic tomorrow and felt the pains coming..ughhh they were horrible. I'm sitting there, my beeper goes off cause the penne pasta was done and I can't get off the toilet. I had to tell my 8 year old to at least stop the timer from beeping. While I'm in there I"m reading whatever was in there. Some article our township sent out about our water quality according to the DEP. Moral to my story is I pretty much read whatever I can to get my mind off the pains and D. If I have no reading materials, I read the box of kids wipies that are in there, or maybe I'll go in under the sink(If I'm in the powder room)and look at what's in the cleaners I'm using. Hey whatever it takes to make the mind forget about the pains. It really does help!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

I shop! new
      #265976 - 05/27/06 07:53 PM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

Even when I was unstable, it never took me a loooong time to "go", it was just "going" at all that was the problem!

I kept (and still do) a magazine rack with magazines, catalogs...more catalogs... ...I have been known to go into our guest bathroom for "quiet time" because no one ever looked for me there hence the magazines!

Pampered Chef...Southern Living (Catalog and Magazine)...and so forth.

I have been known to rearrange the storgage shelves in the potty portion of our master bath (the woman who designed our bathroom is a genius!). There is actually a phone jack in our bathroom...now all we need is a TV!

You know....Bevvy would be a funny one to answer this. I wonder where she went off to? I miss her.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

I write comedy! new
      #266012 - 05/28/06 06:48 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I'm writing material for an adaptation of a BBC radio panel game program called I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. I'm recording it sometime in the next week so I've been trying to come up with as much stuff as I can.

BTW, is the web site dummy book written by Robin Williams?

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Re: Computr 821 new
      #266015 - 05/28/06 07:08 AM
Blondie13

Comedy sounds good - when we do we get to see/hear it?!

The Dummies book I'm reading at the moment is "Creating Web Pages - All in One Desk Reference", by (get ready, a long list): Emily Vander Veer, Doug Lowe, Eric Ray, Deborah Ray, Damon Dean, Camille McCue, Emily Weadock, Joyce Nielsen, Mariva Aviram, Stephen Lockwood, and Madhu Siddalingaiah...!!

It's a 9-in-1 book - Web Page Basics (done), HTML (done, FrontPage 2003 (done), Dreamweaver MX 2004 (nearly done), Multimedia, JavaScript, Flash MX 2004, E-Commerce and XML.

Reasons for doing it being: I'm in the process of designing/setting up an IBS-related site (watch this space for specifics...), but also I intend in the longer term to set up a web-based business, and I've always been the kind of girl that if I want to do something I teach myself everything about how to do it - I don't like relying on someone else!!

I've already taught myself to build PC's from scratch (I joined an electronics retailer as Product Manager for Computer Compenents - they taught me the basics, I taught myself the rest, and built a PC at home...), wireless networking from scratch and refreshed my (now very poor) Gernman skills. I also have 'Dummies' books for Web Page Design (focussed on design/visual, by Lisa Lopuck), Photoshop Elements 4.0 and one focussed specifically on web-based business for me to work through next.

It's so annoying - I find it very easy to motivate myself to do and understand all this, and teach myself completely new things, but when it comes to my actual degree study, I'm crap! I'm un-motivated, un-disciplined and unable to concentrate...

--------------------

#266027 - 05/28/06 09:09 AM
dan the redneck man

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Houghton; MI

I hear ya. I love learning stuff on my own. But when it comes to college class studies, I have a hard time sitting down and working on them.

#266029 - 05/28/06 09:18 AM
dan the redneck man

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Houghton; MI

My bathroom hobby habit started when I had to do the prep hit thing for a barium enema x-ray. I spent a couple hours in there reading ammerican handgunner. Now when ever I'm head into an attack, I grab a piece from my collection to field strip, clean and reassemble. Really helps take my mind off whats "barking at the back door". I got caught in the middle of an attack in a bathroom in ME-EM one afternoon, read about 3 chapters in my calc book, actually aced the next exam too.

#266034 - 05/28/06 10:36 AM
aross

Reged: 05/27/06
Loc: Alabama

After 14 long years of being diagnosed with IBS I finally went for my first colonoscopy. I was diagnosed when I was 3 months pregnant with my 13 year old son. I honestly thought I was losing the baby and the gyno diagnosed me with IBS and put me on medications. Since then I have learn to keep Immodium in my purse at all times and have learned what foods I can safely eat and not, although it seems like the foods change each year. So...while I was preparing for the "dreaded" exam, I started a new book. See, I am an Administrative Assistant at a college and I have to bring alot of work home with me each week. I don't get to do alot of things I "enjoy" so when I have my attacks, my 2 children have learned that this is "my time". It relaxes me. I even crochet while under attack. Of course my 16 yr old daughter and 13 yr old son are always close by to make sure I am hydrated (bring me water, etc.) and comfortable. I have to say it is difficult for them to see me like that, and they are so supportive. My daughter even knows to set the bathroom up with "my" pillows, blanket, water, and cell phone. I have been known to pass out while on the "throne". I am so grateful to have found this website. My new husband of 3 months has been so supportive and understanding. After reading Heather's intro, it's nice to know there are people who truly know the disabling affect this condition can have. Good luck to all and I plan to learn as much as I can from this website. It's funny but in the last few days I have learned more than I had ever learned from doctors in the last 14 years. All they want to do is prescribe pain relievers and muscle relaxants. Currently I am on Librax and Aciphex and Zanax. I don't like taking these medications and hope to find a way to control this with diet. I think (I know) I have found someone who can help me know.

--------------------
Angela
IBS-D and C

You're family is so sweet! new
      #266039 - 05/28/06 10:48 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

That is unbelievable support. It's good you have that!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: OMG, I do that too! new
      #266040 - 05/28/06 10:48 AM
aross

This seems so weird to me. I have never had anyone to talk to about this time spent in the bathroom. I believe I know by heart the steps to shampooing and conditioning hair just from searching for something to do while stuck in the bathroom. It is actually interesting to know that there are people out there doing the same things you are doing during an attack. Now I know I am "normal".

--------------------
Angela
IBS-D and C

Re: You're family is so sweet! new
      #266042 - 05/28/06 10:51 AM
aross

I am very blessed.

--------------------
Angela
IBS-D and C

#266054 - 05/28/06 01:13 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

You are more than welcome to hear it when I finally record it. It'll be done (if everything goes as planned, which it rarely does) some time next week.

It's a lot of puns, so I hope you appreciate groaners.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Play Connect 4 on my cell new
      #266069 - 05/28/06 04:08 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

or tweeze my eyebrows, lol. I know, silly.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Yep, me too....In public bathrooms I new
      #266070 - 05/28/06 04:10 PM
_Willow

count the floor tiles or see if I can find faces in them. Oh yes, way too many hours a spent counting floor tiles.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Yah, wow, that's awesome! new
      #266071 - 05/28/06 04:14 PM
_Willow

LOL we can't teach my 3 year old to just stop bawling and banging on the door when I'm haivng attacks....like I've abandoned her in search of poop relief, LOL!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Shannon! I count floor tiles too! new
      #266140 - 05/29/06 03:11 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

while doing my lamaze type breathing to help with the pains sometimes! We are one bunch of unique people aren't we??!?! I guess that's what makes us special!
Does help to know that there are so many people that share the same type of issues though.
(I have tiles in the bathroom at my work so I count MANY times a week!)

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

The tile thing new
      #266247 - 05/29/06 05:57 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I used to stare at one spot for a while until the after image stuck and then I'd look away and try to line the image of the tile lines back up with the ground. I'm so glad I don't get stuck in public johns so much anymore. How boring.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7048

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review