http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

The hotel called! new
      #265956 - 05/27/06 05:21 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your distractions! The hotel finally called (of course as soon as I stopped waiting for the phone to ring) and I go in Monday for my "screening". I'm still not 100% sure how it works but I think basically they'll have me do some basic stuff and follow someone around and if I do a good job and they like me I'll get offered the job.

So now I'm super-stressed out because I almost feel like it's my job to lose (if that makes any sense) so if anyone has any tips or anything I'd really appreciate it. Especially anyone with hotel experience (Cailin? I think you've gone away...)

Thanks guys

Re: The hotel called! new
      #265972 - 05/27/06 07:12 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi Kelly,

That's fantastic news!!! Congratulations

I don't have any hotel experience but all I can say is be yourself and you'll be just fine.

Good luck.
Jenn

Yay! Great News! new
      #265979 - 05/27/06 08:20 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I'm sure you will do great and get that job!

#266041 - 05/28/06 10:49 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

CONGRATS!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!-nt new
      #266044 - 05/28/06 11:00 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#266075 - 05/28/06 04:45 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Kelly,

I don't want to be negative, but I worked at a hotel briefly, and it was not the best experience. Here are some of the negatives to consider:

-Being on your feet for several hours
-Unhappy guests (I worked at an average to below-average place, so it was hard knowing the management didn't properly take care of problems)
-Occasional stress (like when you have a long line of people wanting to check in)
-Erratic hours (sometimes I worked 3pm-11pm; sometimes I worked 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.)

Working at the hotel was not all bad, but the pay was not great for the crud I had to deal with at times. To me, a clerk/secretarial position sounds more attractive, because you won't have to deal with as many people.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: So scared for interview tomorrow new
      #266427 - 05/30/06 01:18 PM
asianrei

Reged: 05/19/06
Loc: Flordia

i used to work at hotels here in Orlando Florida. I have worked for Hilton and some Disney hotel front desk. It could be scary when you just started because you want to show people you know what you are doing...but don't worry... you will make mistakes...but you will get better dont let stress get to you.

--------------------
Had my IBS since 2001 after 9/11

I didn't get it new
      #266428 - 05/30/06 01:19 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I'm actually not really sure whether to be sad about this or not - it was really the strangest job interview I have ever been on. It was essentially unpaid training and lots of testing (math testing, directions and knowledge of the city, role playing and skits). There were 7 people there vying for 2 jobs, and he told us he would let us know at the end of the night who he was hiring (talk about awkward).

Anyways, it was supposed to go from 5-9 at night, but he didn't arrive until 5:30 and I didn't get out of there until 11:20...then he called at 12:30AM to give his decision. I was apparently #3 I worked really hard in this interview and actually thought I out-performed most of the people there, but some of them had more education than me so I don't know if that might have something to do with it.

Anyways, now that I know more about it, I'm not sure it would have been the best job. It's a decent size hotel (not huge) yet after 5:00PM the person working the front-desk is all alone in the hotel. No bellstaff, housekeeping, managers...anything. Even working overnights, I would be the only employee in the hotel. I just didn't think that was very safe. He even said that if a customer needed something like their toilet plunged, we would have to go up and do it...and I thought to myself, so I'm going to leave the front-desk unattended late at night while I'm here alone, to potentially go up to some man's room and put myself in his bathroom? Just didn't seem overly safe. I'm fairly young and small and definately not strong and I would not feel comfortable with that.

So maybe it is for the best. Really hard to say for sure because I thought I really wanted it...but maybe if a hotel job is what I want I should be looking/applying at some of the bigger ones in the city (with 24 hour room service for example) so that I know I won't be the only person working.

Re: I didn't get it new
      #266446 - 05/30/06 02:55 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi Kelly,

Wow that does sound like a strange job interview! I don't think it's safe either to be the only staff person in the hotel after 5pm, I couldn't do it.

What about that temp agency? Did you hear back from them.

Good luck with your job hunt.
Jenn

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 215 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8967

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review