All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Just need someone to listen
      #265046 - 05/23/06 02:14 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I would appreciate your thoughts and prayers. I am having continuing pain in both feet and can hardly walk. I am hobbling from side to side, which is worsening my back problem! Seriously, sometimes I feel as if my feet will not support me and that I will collapse.

I just returned from the orthopedic surgeon's office who said he has exhausted every avenue and that my only hope for walking without pain is to try surgery. The problem? I have pain in BOTH feet, and he can only do the surgery on one at a time---and there is a long recovery period.

Although my MRI does show severe plantar fascitis problems, he said the pain I'm experiencing could be nerve pain related to my disc problem in my back, and if so, the surgery will not help. But I can only try. He wants me to see my spine/back doctor to see what he thinks. (I did have a nerve conduction test done last February which showed no nerve damage, but he said that could've changed since then.)

The foot doctor says I have to wear the custom orthodics after the surgery---or the pain will return. But I have not been able to wear the orthodics (for even as little as 15 minutes a day) without having severe back pain---and sciatic nerve pain running through my rear end and down my leg. And that prevents me from getting good sleep at night.

I am terrified of having the surgery and messing up my disc problem even worse, since I will have to be on crutches and a hard cast for 2 weeks, a walking cast for 3 weeks, and a boot cast for I forgot how long. It would take 3 months before we would know whether the surgery was successful, and he could even talk about doing surgery on the other foot, and it would take 6 months to fully recover from each surgery.

I have been dealing with this foot pain for about 6-7 years, and now it is preventing me from doing much of anything. I have gained a tremendous amount of weight from not being able to walk or exercise, and I know that will probably get worse sitting around after surgery.

And if he does the right foot first (the worst of the 2 feet), then I cannot drive for 6 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am at my wit's end. I don't feel like I have a choice. I don't know how I will make it through this.

I see the back doctor next Tuesday to get his opinion. My back problem is not one that can be corrected by surgery, so I have to live with that.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart if you've made it through this long post. I just need to get this off of my chest.

Any good thoughts you can send my way would be appreciated.
I love you all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just need someone to listen new
      #265050 - 05/23/06 02:22 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I will certainly be thinking of you! Lots of warm well wishes.

Although the surgery sounds bad...and inconvenient, it sounds like you've been suffering for a long time. I'd say 6 weeks compared to 6 or 7 years would definitely be worth it!

Chin up! It'll all be okay...
Lauren

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

BL new
      #265051 - 05/23/06 02:25 PM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

I am so sorry...I have had chronic foot pain for a year but it is minimal compared to what you are going thru (I was 42 thinking that I was 20 and could do Tae Bo!).

I am praying for you...

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Sending lots of hugs your way.... new
      #265079 - 05/23/06 03:19 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

so sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it at the moment...I wish I could do something to relieve your pain....am sending lots of hugs your way and will keep you in my thoughts.

(((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Sending lots of hugs your way.... new
      #265093 - 05/23/06 03:43 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

oh BL, that sounds terrible, I can't even imagine. The carrot of the surgery dangling in front of you but the frustration that it will be some time til you are right again.

hugs

remember to post to rant or vent or anything that you need to do

take care

--------------------
S.

Re: Sending lots of hugs your way.... ditto new
      #265097 - 05/23/06 03:45 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

It sounds awful, I can't imagine what you're going through. I guess I agree with the others in that 6 or 7 months hell is probably better than the rest of you life in pain, but I can see why you're scared when you're not been given any real guarantees.

So no real advice, but sending LOADS of hugs!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

#265141 - 05/23/06 04:53 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

BL,

I am so sorry that you are in so much pain with your feet and back and then have to worry on top of the pain. I know the recovery times seems long now but if there is a chance that you can get rid of the pain it is worth it.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Hugs,

--------------------
Janey

#265142 - 05/23/06 04:59 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

If I were in your situation I would try my best to get relief. If surgery is the only way to deal with this then it may be your only option. I would get a second and maybe even third opinion though to make sure it won't cause anymore problems.

My mom had a vein problem (deep vein thrombosis, I think) and she ALWAYS had pain in her legs. So she had a massive surgery involving her main veins. To make a long story short, she was out of work recovering for 3-4 months. Yes it was very hard. She had to depend on my dad for everything but I know it brough them closer. And now she can enjoy walking around without pain.

You need to figure out if you'd be able to handle the recovery period. My mom doesn't know that I know but my dad told me she got VERY depressed being bedridden for so long and had to be put on anti-depressants for 6 months. I would definietly say that you'd go through something similar if your recover period will be even longer.

*hugs* new
      #265164 - 05/23/06 06:05 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

BL,

I know back pain sucks and to have the problems with the feet on top of it only adds to the agony. I know after having 21 years of back problems (I am only 30) that the surgery takes awhile to recover from...mine took me 6 months (imagine that as a 9 year old being restrained when you want to play) but I am definitely grateful for the results.

I definitely would suggest talking with another doctor to get another opinion. We talked with four orthopedic surgeons before my parents were certain that the option we chose was the best one.

I know now for pain management that I do massage therapy and acupuncture. Both have helped tremendously in feeling better and being able to enjoy life.

I hope and pray your pain will lessen. Feel free to drop me a line if you need moral support.

Michelle

Chiropractor new
      #265195 - 05/23/06 08:07 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Hi BL, have you tried going to a chiropractor? Some kind of nerve can be pinched that is causing your problem.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 259 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10189

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review