All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Big baby..help!!
      #264817 - 05/22/06 01:55 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i had an ultrasound today, becuase i was measuring too small.i was measuring 33 weeks, but i'm 37 weeks, so i went today, and my radiologist said baby was a good size, and 8 pounds!!!! i don't want baby to get any bigger, and the radiologist said that he's healthy, and fully developed. so i'm trying to get ahold of my doctor to see if she can induce me or something, becuase i don't want the baby to be any bigger!! he said he could be off by a half pound...but if i go to 40 weeks, or more...he'll be HUGEEEEEEE! what do i do?!?!?!?!? i'm all stressed out about my birth canal!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yikes! Poor you! At least you know the babie's EXTRA healthy...!! new
      #264824 - 05/22/06 01:59 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Re: Big baby..help!! new
      #264828 - 05/22/06 02:02 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

So many people have 10 lb babies these days. Try not to worry!

#264842 - 05/22/06 02:18 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

This is your second baby so chances are that area should be stretched a bit more even though it's been a few years. Also my friend is very petite and she had a 8lbs 13ounce baby and did just fine. Try not to worry. I think your labor would be worse if you are induced. I am not a big fan of induction even though I will have to be this time around so I can be off my blood thinner. I think woman who are induced tend to have a harder labor anyways. Remember our bodies are made to do this! Good Luck!

I can empathize new
      #264918 - 05/22/06 10:18 PM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Oh my - I can relate to your concerns. I think that you should be just fine! Talk to your MD and you 2 can formulate a plan you both feel comfortable with.

I had a difficult delivery w/child #1 so they were watching me closely w/child #2. They induced me a few days before due date because they didn't want me to have such a rough time again.

In retrospect, I don't think the induction was necessary. Child #2 was very easy to deliver - only a few ounces smaller than child #1. I had epidurals with both - but #2 was so EASY to push out. I remember I kept saying "Wow - that was so much easier this time!" after child #2 was delivered - only took a few pushes.

With child #1 everything felt "stiff" and "stuck" - that's the only words I can use to describe what I was feeling.

With child #2 I could feel my pushing making the baby come out and they just kind of "popped" out. I felt more "loose" and I felt like my pelvis was "giving" more.

In light of how I felt, I would not be induced again. My labor was longer and more unpleasant. I sat awake all night while the meds "worked" and I was very uncomfortable. Then they came in and broke my bag of waters and that hurt like H*LL. They wouldn't let me get my epidural for a while and I was mad!

Artificial labor is harder - I don't think I'd do it again.

#264944 - 05/23/06 06:50 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Lyndsey,

I had three big babies, the first was 8lbs 11oz and I was tiny and very sore afterwards. 6 years later my son was 8lbs 9oz and popped right out and then 3 years later my daughter was born 8lbs 14oz and I had no trouble at all.

Your body does stretch and each birth is easier at least it was for me. If you are healthy and the baby is healthy I would wait but definitely talk with your doctor about your concerns and see what he says.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Janey

#264950 - 05/23/06 07:03 AM
countrygirl

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Those ultrasound weights can be pretty off. They told my sister in law she was going to have a large baby because she had gestational diabetes,so they induced her early because of their concerns about the baby's large size,she ended up being only 7lbs 7oz and 19 inches long.
My last baby was 8lbs 10 oz,she was a c-section but so was my first, but i was told larger babies are easier to push out.Try not to worry too much about the the ultra sound weight says, they told me 3 weeks before her birth that she was close to 10lbs and possibly bigger, but she ended up only being 8lbs 10z and 21 inches long.

#264958 - 05/23/06 07:29 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

My uncle was 15 lbs. Of course he was my grandmother's 7th child, but ouch. My nephew was almost 10.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#264980 - 05/23/06 08:55 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

My first was 8lbs 11 oz and it was a hard labor. But my second was induced and went really well. Baby was smaller but was SOOOOOO much easier. My 3rd was really easy too and that was induced as well. I was at 4cm with both when I was induced. So I was already half way there. I wouldn't get induced unless I was already on my way. If you start out at 0 ir 1cm it could take some time for sure!!! Also...don't read to much into there estimation.....more times than not they are off a lot! Your baby could be more like 7 lbs!

Good luck and keep us posted~

--------------------

#264991 - 05/23/06 10:25 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Lyndsey,

I agree with the others that doctors can be really off on the weight when they guess. My doc thought my baby was a10 pounder and pressured me to induce. I finally caved and induced at 39 weeks and she was only 7lbs 4 oz and such an easy birth! I only had 1 hour of pain before th epi. was given and I think I pushed twice. We were laughing and joking around while I was pushing. I would do induction again no problem. This is your second baby so it should be easier and quicker, don't worry. Be sure to let us all know and post pics!

Laura

Thanks guys...but also other concerns.. new
      #264992 - 05/23/06 10:25 AM
Lyndsey

my daughter was 6 pounds 14 oz...and i had a 3rd degree tear, she was born very slow, and the doctor wasn't sure why i ripped so much, then i wasn't healing correctly, so he thought he'd have to re stitch me...which didn't actually happen, my body finally corrected itself...but its different still. I'm pretty sure i'll rip again, because of how everything did finally heal. which wans't all wrong, but changed....

i don't really want to be induced either, because i know you go straight into hard labor...thats not very fun sounding either. but like i said, with my daughter, it was such a bad tear, and bad recovery, i don't want to be all messed up like that again! It was soooo hard...my doctor said that out of the 30 years of practice, he'd not seen a bad recovery like that, except in about 3 other patients...i mean at the time too, the father of my daughter (we were no longer together) was threatening to kidnap her the day we came home from the hospital, and when she was 9 days old i had to meet with an attorney to find out my rights....because he had become so crazy and scary. so that probalby had alot to do with my recovery too. because my tummy would go bazzirk too...

anyway...i just want to be done with it too....i feel like i'm going to be pregnant forever, i know realistically i wont be....but i feel like i'm stuck like this for the rest of my life!! haha

What about an episiotomy? new
      #264996 - 05/23/06 10:37 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

Now I have never had one but my mother was a labor and delivery nurse. Perhaps if they did an episiotomy ahead of time you wouldn't tear so badly>

I will be praying for you!

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#265005 - 05/23/06 11:22 AM
SuddenStorm

Reged: 05/19/06
Loc: Houston, TX

Hon, the worst thing you can do right now is stress. The baby is healthy, and after 15 years as a midwife, I can tell you that, despite the usual rhetoric, big babies do -much- better during the birth process, and so do their moms, than small babies. You may be closer to giving birth on your own than you think. 40 weeks is just an -estimate- of how long pregnancy will last. It is -very- individual for each woman and baby.

If it helps you feel any better, I had three children without episiotomy and with a birth canal that still worked great and was -very- resilient after the births. My children were 10 lbs 2 oz, 8 lbs and 10 lbs 8 oz, respectively. Labors ranged from 14 hours with my first baby to 6 hours with my last.

One thing you can do that will help to protect your pelvic floor during pregnancy and after the birth and help it to go back to being resilient and strong is an exercise called Kegels. The best way to practice kegels is to stop your pee when you go to the bathroom. Once you get a feel for the muscles you use, you can tighten those muscles off and on during the day, in sets of 10-50 at a time. I used to use stoplights and telephones ringing to "trigger" me to start a set. I usually tell my moms at term that they should be doing 1500 or so kegels a day. (I'd forgotten how much I loved being a midwife. I had to give it up 6 years ago, when my MS got too bad... thanks for the opportunity to share)

ZWD

--------------------
"Couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't and can't may be the most dangerous words in our vocabulary" - ZWD

#265007 - 05/23/06 11:27 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

They can't tell for sure. My sister was measuring big and went for u/s and they told her he would be about 8lbs at birth and she was fine. He was 10lb ! Don't worry about it. My first was 8lbs 1 oz and she was my easiest labor and very easy to push out. If your really concerned ask to be induced. I haven't read everyone's post but how big was your daughter?

Re: Thanks guys...but also other concerns.. new
      #265011 - 05/23/06 11:58 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I have always been induced a week late. It really isn't that bad and if at anytime it isn't working they can stop it. I had cervidel with my 1st and 3rd. Ask your dr. about that stuff. Like I said, my oldest was just over 8lbs. I went into labor naturally with it and I was only in labor 4 1/2 hours and it was wonderful. However, with my 3rd I started contracting as soon as they put in the cervidel and it was too strong, too fast so they had to stop. I ended up going on my own but it went very slow. I was confined to the bed so that didn't help gravity. My 2nd I had pitocin. It wouldn't have been as bad if I was confined to the bed because her heart rate went down and I had complete back labor. They really do start you off slow and I know you can get an epi if you want. I've never had one personally but that is because I've always been scared by them. I have a friend that teared terrible with her first. The story she tells give me shivers. How she had 2 more is beyond me. But, she never tore like that again. As a matter of fact her last daughter was over 9lbs and she didn't even have an episitomy. I am praying I get that dr. this time. I always get them. Personally though, I didn't care when we got to that point. I just wanted it to be over.

Episiotomy got both my guys here safe and sound!! new
      #265028 - 05/23/06 12:59 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

And if you follow instructions, you heal quickly and without too much discomfort. Mine were the biggest (longest) ones they cut both times. No problem and my 8 + pounder slid into the world no problem! My second had to be done even though baby was much smaller, but it prevented a tear and healed nicely.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: rips and tears...owie! new
      #265049 - 05/23/06 02:19 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I feel for ya! My two boys were 8lbs 11oz and 9lbs 7oz respectively. I was induced TWICE with my first and sent home after the first time because it just wasn't time. I had hard labors with both but I have some problems with anesthesia.

I tore with my second. Probably because I pushed for 4 hours and then the doc on call wasn't paying enough attention. I should have had an episiotomy long before (nurses told me later -- he's a jerk --got mad at me because he said I wasn't pushing hard enough and turned off my epidural!)

Anyway, since I've had both episiotomy and a tear, I can tell you that the episiotomy is preferrable and much easier/faster to heal.

No worries...my doc/nurses were wrong about weight of both the boys. I was sure I was going to have a 10 lb.'er! or twins. I was huge.

The best thing you can do is to not think about it. As horrible as that tearing and healing was ... it pales in comparison to the wonders of having children!

BTW, my husband are in "practice mode". We're going to try this summer....for number 3 and my "baby" is 7. What am I thinking??

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Hmm... new
      #265073 - 05/23/06 03:10 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

They said Kay was going to be at LEAST 8 pounds. and she was 6 15. Almost 7.

I tore to 2nd degree and healed fast. Iwas in so much pain I didn't KNOW I'd torn till Dr. stitched me up.

I was so terrified of episiotomies that I preferred to tear. I was, however, scared to poop for a week!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

suddenstorm...question (or anyone else...that may have an idea...contractions galore!!) new
      #265103 - 05/23/06 03:56 PM
Lyndsey

i've been having contractions since probably week 20...they have been getting stronger and stronger, went to labor and delievery around week 27 because i was having so many...they told me i have an irritated uterous...along with my irritable bowels, right?? anyway....

now i'm having contractions that stop me in my tracks, makes me need to breath not the "hee-hee-hoo" yet, but i mentally have to concentrate on breathing....and i have up to 60 a day....i see my doctor on thursday...but they aren't 10 min apart, i ususally have 4-6 per hour (if that works out mathamatically) they can range from 6 or 7 min apart to 15-20 minutes apart...obvuosly nothing is happening yet...and every time i call labor and delievery they tell me to put my feet up, and if they are 10 min apart to call back. this has been going on for a while now...but yesterday i logged almsot every one of them and it was at about 60...and so far today i'm at about 30..but it's not anything regular...so i've not doing anything about it...nothing is really leaking outta my "area" some extra discharge (tmi) which i'm hoping is little parts of the plug....but then again, maybe its not!

what would you do??

#265105 - 05/23/06 03:58 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04

No worries! YOu can do it! I pushed out a 8 pound 2oz baby and I'm nearly 5foot tall and weighed 90lbs soaking wet before I got pregnant! (Split me from front to back but the little sucker came out!)
Good luck girl!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Shannon...me too! new
      #265106 - 05/23/06 04:02 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04

I actually got addicted to stool softners. I was so afraid that it would hurt to poop I kept popping them. I had a 3rd degree tear AND a broken tail bone . Not fun! So the last thing I wanted was to hurt pooping! You are right though, took forever to heal!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: What about an episiotomy? new
      #265111 - 05/23/06 04:08 PM
Lyndsey

my doc likes to not have to cut...i'm not sure why, she said it was better to not have to cut

Re: suddenstorm...question (or anyone else...that may have an idea...contractions galore!!) new
      #265149 - 05/23/06 05:09 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I'd keep track of the times and don't hesitate to call your doctor with any questions. No matter how many times you have to call.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Re: suddenstorm...question (or anyone else...that may have an idea...contractions galore!!) new
      #265153 - 05/23/06 05:29 PM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Lyndsey,

Could you go to the doctor tomorrow instead of waiting til Thurs? I would go as soon as possible and see what your doctor thinks. It sounds like you are starting labor if they stop you in your tracks.

Laura

#265248 - 05/24/06 07:15 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04

I have heard now that they say tearing is better than an episiotomy. My doc told me you heal better with a natual tear. I pushed for 2 1/2 hours with Noah and I think she was just about to cut me. Instead she used baby shampoo to grease his head to make him slide out easier. The thing that was horrible about the pushing was not my tear but my hemmaroids! They took forever to heal and it was painful to poo! If you are having those kinds of contractions i would see your doc ASAP!!

labor and delievry and doc know about the contractions.... new
      #265282 - 05/24/06 09:42 AM
Lyndsey

no one seems to be concerned!! they are all just saying it's my body, but when the heck am i going to know when i'm actually in labor?!?!?!?!?! well i'm srue i'll know...i'll give them a call anyway...

#265302 - 05/24/06 11:41 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Everything I've read said that sewing up a tear is much better for you than cutting across two muscles (which is what an episiotomy is). Most of the studies have shown that with massaging olive oil into the area you should have no reason to do the cut and the healing time is faster and better with a tear than a cut. I would never have one (and in fact left my doctor because she seemed kinda cut happy- wish I'd found yours). They're making them non-standard and non-routine these days.

At any rate, they're all personal choices, but since so many people were speaking in favor of them I wanted to offer the alternate opinion.

Re: labor and delievry and doc know about the contractions.... new
      #265303 - 05/24/06 11:43 AM
chinagrl

Well, they probably think they're Braxton Hicks contractions (fake ones) right? My friend had a lot of those- false excitement.

I hope you get real ones soon!

Re: Shannon...me too! new
      #265329 - 05/24/06 01:40 PM
_Willow

Yep, I had an addiction to thise too, maybe that's what got us into this problem in the first place?? I was on stool softeners almost every day since I was 19 because I was so C and they helped. Certainly can't say I'd be stupid enough to take one today with all the D!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#265332 - 05/24/06 01:46 PM
_Willow

I'm very anti episiotomy too. My doc was not a cutter, and I feel I healed faster with a tear. And just the THOUGHT of someone cutting my hoo ha with scissors was the biggest fear for me!! Luckily my tear healed fast.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

thanks for the encouragement!! new
      #265339 - 05/24/06 02:33 PM
Lyndsey

uhg...now just waiting it out...it's killing me, i'm to the point where i feel like i'm never going to be unpregnant..he's gonna stay in there for the rest of my life..i just know it!!!!

i've been having 60+ contractions a day since sunday, and they tend to be a bit painful...but nothing has happened..so i guess i have to wait it out...DARN it!! they are usually between 7-40 minutes apart..i just keep thinking, every day is a day closer to baby coming...so i have to just keep that in mind....

but i keep HOPING that my water will just break and we can get on with it...but no such luck so far!! but here comes another contraction...

i'll keep you updated though!! thats all my moods right now!!

I had a friend who wished she had an episiotomy.... new
      #265349 - 05/24/06 03:22 PM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

when she tore so badly that even when it healed, things weren't as they should have been.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#265360 - 05/24/06 04:12 PM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

Today We have sedatives and pain releivers so that big baby boy can come with out pain. Just think of back in the 18th cantury. I feel sorry for Paul Bunnyon's Mother think of what labor she went through without Pain relvers

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

Re: I had a friend who wished she had an episiotomy.... new
      #265396 - 05/24/06 08:00 PM
chinagrl

Well, she could get it fixed now right? Cosmetic gynecological surgery is a thing, I hear. If they can fix it for looks, I'm sure they could fix it for medical reasons.

if my sister can push out 9 pounds 7 ounces.. new
      #265439 - 05/25/06 04:44 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

you can do it! a friend had a 10 pound plus baby but he was an emergency section, but her second child at 9 pounds was vbac!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I was 9 lb 10.....my poor poor mother n/t new
      #265454 - 05/25/06 05:23 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

--------------------
Natalie

yeah my poor mum too... new
      #265514 - 05/25/06 08:21 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Child No 1 meee (caesarean) 7lb 6
No 2 7lb4
then she got a shock no3 9lb 4

and a much bigger one with my sister.....
no4 10 7.5!!! (and yes, regular birth)

After that things got out of hand......
no 5 (caesarean) 11lbs 4 (she was breech so they had to do an emergency one)
no 6 (caesarean) 8lbs 11 (3 weeks early due to age of my Mom and history of previous caesareans

It'll be just fine Lyndsey, you don't look that big at all- in fact you look perfectly pregnant and pretty!

--------------------
S.

i have my doc appointment today... new
      #265524 - 05/25/06 09:19 AM
Lyndsey

so i'm going to tell her my concerns. I just want to have the baby! the waiting game is killig me!! my stepmom said to enjoy the last few moments of silece, because it'll be crazy again, which is true...but all the anticipation..i found out i was pregant at 3 weeks...so it's a little difficult to calm myself!! my daugther was a week early, so i have high expectations for this one!! haha

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 151 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7434

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review