All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Thanks guys...but also other concerns.. new
      #264992 - 05/23/06 10:25 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

my daughter was 6 pounds 14 oz...and i had a 3rd degree tear, she was born very slow, and the doctor wasn't sure why i ripped so much, then i wasn't healing correctly, so he thought he'd have to re stitch me...which didn't actually happen, my body finally corrected itself...but its different still. I'm pretty sure i'll rip again, because of how everything did finally heal. which wans't all wrong, but changed....

i don't really want to be induced either, because i know you go straight into hard labor...thats not very fun sounding either. but like i said, with my daughter, it was such a bad tear, and bad recovery, i don't want to be all messed up like that again! It was soooo hard...my doctor said that out of the 30 years of practice, he'd not seen a bad recovery like that, except in about 3 other patients...i mean at the time too, the father of my daughter (we were no longer together) was threatening to kidnap her the day we came home from the hospital, and when she was 9 days old i had to meet with an attorney to find out my rights....because he had become so crazy and scary. so that probalby had alot to do with my recovery too. because my tummy would go bazzirk too...

anyway...i just want to be done with it too....i feel like i'm going to be pregnant forever, i know realistically i wont be....but i feel like i'm stuck like this for the rest of my life!! haha

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

What about an episiotomy? new
      #264996 - 05/23/06 10:37 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

Now I have never had one but my mother was a labor and delivery nurse. Perhaps if they did an episiotomy ahead of time you wouldn't tear so badly>

I will be praying for you!

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: Big baby..help!! new
      #265005 - 05/23/06 11:22 AM
SuddenStorm

Reged: 05/19/06
Loc: Houston, TX

Hon, the worst thing you can do right now is stress. The baby is healthy, and after 15 years as a midwife, I can tell you that, despite the usual rhetoric, big babies do -much- better during the birth process, and so do their moms, than small babies. You may be closer to giving birth on your own than you think. 40 weeks is just an -estimate- of how long pregnancy will last. It is -very- individual for each woman and baby.

If it helps you feel any better, I had three children without episiotomy and with a birth canal that still worked great and was -very- resilient after the births. My children were 10 lbs 2 oz, 8 lbs and 10 lbs 8 oz, respectively. Labors ranged from 14 hours with my first baby to 6 hours with my last.

One thing you can do that will help to protect your pelvic floor during pregnancy and after the birth and help it to go back to being resilient and strong is an exercise called Kegels. The best way to practice kegels is to stop your pee when you go to the bathroom. Once you get a feel for the muscles you use, you can tighten those muscles off and on during the day, in sets of 10-50 at a time. I used to use stoplights and telephones ringing to "trigger" me to start a set. I usually tell my moms at term that they should be doing 1500 or so kegels a day. (I'd forgotten how much I loved being a midwife. I had to give it up 6 years ago, when my MS got too bad... thanks for the opportunity to share)

ZWD

--------------------
"Couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't and can't may be the most dangerous words in our vocabulary" - ZWD

#265007 - 05/23/06 11:27 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

They can't tell for sure. My sister was measuring big and went for u/s and they told her he would be about 8lbs at birth and she was fine. He was 10lb ! Don't worry about it. My first was 8lbs 1 oz and she was my easiest labor and very easy to push out. If your really concerned ask to be induced. I haven't read everyone's post but how big was your daughter?

Re: Thanks guys...but also other concerns.. new
      #265011 - 05/23/06 11:58 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I have always been induced a week late. It really isn't that bad and if at anytime it isn't working they can stop it. I had cervidel with my 1st and 3rd. Ask your dr. about that stuff. Like I said, my oldest was just over 8lbs. I went into labor naturally with it and I was only in labor 4 1/2 hours and it was wonderful. However, with my 3rd I started contracting as soon as they put in the cervidel and it was too strong, too fast so they had to stop. I ended up going on my own but it went very slow. I was confined to the bed so that didn't help gravity. My 2nd I had pitocin. It wouldn't have been as bad if I was confined to the bed because her heart rate went down and I had complete back labor. They really do start you off slow and I know you can get an epi if you want. I've never had one personally but that is because I've always been scared by them. I have a friend that teared terrible with her first. The story she tells give me shivers. How she had 2 more is beyond me. But, she never tore like that again. As a matter of fact her last daughter was over 9lbs and she didn't even have an episitomy. I am praying I get that dr. this time. I always get them. Personally though, I didn't care when we got to that point. I just wanted it to be over.

Episiotomy got both my guys here safe and sound!! new
      #265028 - 05/23/06 12:59 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

And if you follow instructions, you heal quickly and without too much discomfort. Mine were the biggest (longest) ones they cut both times. No problem and my 8 + pounder slid into the world no problem! My second had to be done even though baby was much smaller, but it prevented a tear and healed nicely.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: rips and tears...owie! new
      #265049 - 05/23/06 02:19 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I feel for ya! My two boys were 8lbs 11oz and 9lbs 7oz respectively. I was induced TWICE with my first and sent home after the first time because it just wasn't time. I had hard labors with both but I have some problems with anesthesia.

I tore with my second. Probably because I pushed for 4 hours and then the doc on call wasn't paying enough attention. I should have had an episiotomy long before (nurses told me later -- he's a jerk --got mad at me because he said I wasn't pushing hard enough and turned off my epidural!)

Anyway, since I've had both episiotomy and a tear, I can tell you that the episiotomy is preferrable and much easier/faster to heal.

No worries...my doc/nurses were wrong about weight of both the boys. I was sure I was going to have a 10 lb.'er! or twins. I was huge.

The best thing you can do is to not think about it. As horrible as that tearing and healing was ... it pales in comparison to the wonders of having children!

BTW, my husband are in "practice mode". We're going to try this summer....for number 3 and my "baby" is 7. What am I thinking??

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Hmm... new
      #265073 - 05/23/06 03:10 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

They said Kay was going to be at LEAST 8 pounds. and she was 6 15. Almost 7.

I tore to 2nd degree and healed fast. Iwas in so much pain I didn't KNOW I'd torn till Dr. stitched me up.

I was so terrified of episiotomies that I preferred to tear. I was, however, scared to poop for a week!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

suddenstorm...question (or anyone else...that may have an idea...contractions galore!!) new
      #265103 - 05/23/06 03:56 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i've been having contractions since probably week 20...they have been getting stronger and stronger, went to labor and delievery around week 27 because i was having so many...they told me i have an irritated uterous...along with my irritable bowels, right?? anyway....

now i'm having contractions that stop me in my tracks, makes me need to breath not the "hee-hee-hoo" yet, but i mentally have to concentrate on breathing....and i have up to 60 a day....i see my doctor on thursday...but they aren't 10 min apart, i ususally have 4-6 per hour (if that works out mathamatically) they can range from 6 or 7 min apart to 15-20 minutes apart...obvuosly nothing is happening yet...and every time i call labor and delievery they tell me to put my feet up, and if they are 10 min apart to call back. this has been going on for a while now...but yesterday i logged almsot every one of them and it was at about 60...and so far today i'm at about 30..but it's not anything regular...so i've not doing anything about it...nothing is really leaking outta my "area" some extra discharge (tmi) which i'm hoping is little parts of the plug....but then again, maybe its not!

what would you do??

#265105 - 05/23/06 03:58 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

No worries! YOu can do it! I pushed out a 8 pound 2oz baby and I'm nearly 5foot tall and weighed 90lbs soaking wet before I got pregnant! (Split me from front to back but the little sucker came out!)
Good luck girl!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 246 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7491

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review