All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
painkillers
      #264389 - 05/19/06 01:47 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I'm looking for a milder narcotic-type painkiller, something that isn't as heavy-duty as Percocet or Vicodin. I'd like to have a few names before I go see my doctor about getting a prescription. I have no idea how to find this out. I can look up names on drugs.com, but they don't really say stuff like how strong it really is. I was hoping someone here might be more painkiller-literate. Thanks.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: painkillers new
      #264394 - 05/19/06 02:14 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Is it for IBS? I have found Aleve an otc drug to be pretty good for pain. It's never upset my stomach though it can for some as it's an anti-inflammatory.

#264400 - 05/19/06 02:40 PM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Jen,

I second what Sara-Sage said. Aleve is surprisingly effective for an over the counter drug. I have used it many times for ovarian cysts (pain that just brings me to my knees) and found it works about as well as other meds given to me in the hospital for the same pain.

A couple of others - Tylox and Darvacet. I recall both of these worked pretty well, but did cause drowsiness and spaciness. I've never taken Percocet or vicodin so I can't really compare them. Hope you find something that works!

Laura

#264401 - 05/19/06 02:48 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Thanks for the suggestion. It's for endometriosis pain. OTC drugs don't help nor do any of the prescription NSAIDs I've tried. Sometimes they can at least take a bit of the edge off, but mostly they don't do anything. That's why I specifically want a narcotic pain reliever because narcotics are the only thing that's really helped.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#264410 - 05/19/06 04:07 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I recently got a Rx for my tmj pain, it's called Naproxen EC (375 mg) and it's pretty good for my pain. Have you ever tried that?

#264426 - 05/19/06 06:15 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I take tramadol (brand name Ultram) for my fibro pains, since they're not inflammatory pains, so Naproxen and Aleve and Ibprofen does nothing for me. It's not a narcotic painkiller, but apparently it's works similarly.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 980

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review