All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Out on a date??
      #264268 - 05/18/06 09:41 PM
LouLou

Reged: 05/18/06

I joined this site to try to find help with my eating habits for my Crohns. This is the best site I've seen w/ all of the foods layed out and explained. But what do I eat when I go out to dinner?? I dont want to be that girl who says "I'd like the chicken dinner minus the skin no pepper and could you make the grilled veggy sides plain rice?" If that doesn't scream high maintenance... I need some advice from fellow chronies?? All is appreciated. *

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Out on a date?? new
      #264271 - 05/19/06 12:24 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Don't think that being particular about the foods you eat makes you high maintenance. I've found that most places I go are very accomodating if I tell them that I have a very strict diet and straying from it can make me very sick. You don't have to tell them what you have. It's not their business anyway. And if the people you are out with are supportive thay won't give you a hard time about it.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

High maintenance... new
      #264279 - 05/19/06 05:19 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

I would choose appearing high maintenance over being in pain any day. So few people consider me high maintenance because where I will order as needed, I just don't make a big deal out of it.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

It's all in the way you say it new
      #264280 - 05/19/06 05:27 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

High maintenance is being demanding and rude to the wait staff and acting like nothing is good enough for you. Politely asking for what you need for your health is completely different. Just be matter of fact, not shy or apologetic but not rude/demanding either, and then go on about the converstaion. If anyone asks why, tell them.

For example, everywhere I go I ask about high fructose corn syrup. I am friendly and if I feel the need I add, "It will make me very ill" so they don't think I'm just a "food snob" or trying to lose weight or something, but most of the time the explanation isn't necessary, they don't care "why".

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Out on a date?? new
      #264283 - 05/19/06 05:52 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I don't think that knowing and asking for things that you would like to eat makes you "high maintenance". It just means that you are concerned about what you put into your body. Good for you!!

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Edited by J82901 (05/19/06 06:06 AM)

Re: Lou Lou new
      #264285 - 05/19/06 06:03 AM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi Lou Lou,

I have ulcerative colitis and have found that once I became stable on meds I was able to eat more foods and now am able to eat dairy and red meat (on occasion). Don't get me wrong I still try to watch what I eat and there are some things which I will not eat (fast food being one!).

How long have you had Chrohn's for? One of the important things to remember with Irritable Bowel Diseases like Chrohn's and ulcerative colitis is that there is an inflammation that is causing the symptoms and stomach upset. Therefore diet alone cannot manage these diseases. It took me over a year and a half after being diagnosed to find the right meds for me and now luckily I have been stable for over a year and a half. With minor flare ups due to stress.

Don't worry about having to order your food a particular way. As the others have said just be polite about it. When I was having a flare up that lasted about 6 months I would often request different foods and just say that I had food allergies (they will totally understand that).

My fiance and I actually began dating 2 weeks before I was diagnosed with UC and it's been 3 years almost since my diagnosis and he has been very understanding.

Jenn

well said everyone.... new
      #264306 - 05/19/06 07:11 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I completely agree....you NEED to look after yourself first and foremost and I dont think thats high maintenance at all....like everyone else said...just be polite friendly and honest about it...I find the more I joke about it the less of a big deal it really is.....the most important thing is that you do whats best for your tummy!

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1597 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 749

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review