All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
hope this doesnt start controversy...just a question...
      #264038 - 05/17/06 09:33 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

i read this on my news website, im not sure if anyone watches the 700 club but im a christian and a strong believer, to the others on here, what do you think of this? its kinda of scary..and ive never watched the show, im just wondering if you all think this guy can be right? and where is the pacific northwest as he mentions?

" Robertson: God Says Tsunami Possible For U.S.

POSTED: 9:19 pm EDT May 17, 2006

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The Rev. Pat Robertson says God has told him that storms and possibly a tsunami will hit America's coastline this year.

The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network has told viewers of "The 700 Club" that the revelations came to him during his annual personal prayer retreat in January.

"If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms," Robertson said May 8.

He added specifics in Wednesday's show.

"There well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest," he said.

Robertson has come under intense criticism in recent months for suggesting that U.S. agents should assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine retribution for Israel's pullout from the Gaza Strip."

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Non-religous standpoint new
      #264043 - 05/17/06 11:21 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I've heard lots of talk about this lately. Discovery programs and such. People are talking about plates shifting causing a tsunami to hit the Washington/Oregon coast at 500 mph. Everyone says it's possible. But then, what isn't? And possible is the key word. It might happen, and it's good to be prepared. But not to the point where we can't live our lives each day. We shouldn't be afraid of what is out of our control. It may happen tomorrow, in a century, or a millenium.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: hope this doesnt start controversy...just a question... new
      #264058 - 05/18/06 03:23 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

All due respect, but Pat Robertson would not be my source for anything that is remotely scientific in nature. THis may start a problem, but I could not follow a man as intolerant as he is, same goes for JErry Falwell. They don't believe in the same God and Jesus Christ as do. Sorry, its just the mere mention of Robertson that sets me off.

--------------------

My 2 cents new
      #264059 - 05/18/06 04:44 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I believe the Bible and am a follower of Jesus (a Christian) but I pretty much run as fast as I can in the opposite direction of any TV preacher.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: My 2 cents new
      #264089 - 05/18/06 07:37 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I agree wholeheartedly. I am a good Catholic boy whop tries to do the right thing everyday of my life. I am not perfect but I try to be good. TV evangelists are not my cup of tea and I don't believe in the same Jesus they do.

--------------------

Chely new
      #264094 - 05/18/06 07:53 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

I live in Southeast Texas and we were smack in the path of the major huuricanes last year. Every year I prepare for hurricane season in that I stock up on water, batteries, canned stuff and so forth...common sense stuff. What we don't use during hurricane season, I either donate to my church or the local food bank, I have done this for years.

What I don't do is worry about what may or may not happen...televangelists, preachers, people who believe in crystal balls and such will prophecy until Jesus comes. A wise person I know says that you should take what people say like a cow eats...chew the cud and spit out the sticks.

We cannot control things like hurricanes or tsunami's so where it is good to be prepared, there is no need to sped too much time worrying about what may or may not happen.

I believe that the folks on TV mean well and I believe that Christians worhsip the same God and Jesus but many tend to do it differently and/or interpret things in a different manner. Psalm 118:8 says "It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man"...so put your faith where it belongs in Christ Jesus and try not to worry about what you hear from man..because he is just that...man.

HTH

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: Chely new
      #264098 - 05/18/06 08:08 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Well said!! Men have prophesied all kinds of things over the years, and no one knows what lies ahead except God. Stay in the word and pray for strength to face whatever comes. As things here on earth wax worse and worse (which the Bible says will happen as the return of Christ draws nearer) we as believer's shouldn't be surprised. Just trust the Lord to give us the strength we need to go through. He will.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#264105 - 05/18/06 09:02 AM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

wow i didnt expect all these replies, thanks everyone! marci, ive never watched the 700 club, i never even knew who he was til i clicked on the news website..ive heard of the 700 club and ive heard bad and good things though, mostly bad, someone told me theres alot of controversy surrounding it. i emailed my pastor and he also said no one knows whats going to happen but God himself and he said 'live your life as if nothing is going to happen but stay close to God and be ready for when it does' so that makes sense to me

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

#264137 - 05/18/06 11:04 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

It's possible someday soon, though I'd attribute it to global warming and the rapidly melting polar ice caps and not any diety. But, your mileage may vary.

#264205 - 05/18/06 04:07 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Well said Tommy.

Your pastor sounds very wise. nt new
      #264250 - 05/18/06 06:39 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

I wouldn't believe people who claim to know the future... new
      #264265 - 05/18/06 08:37 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

I'm actually not religous...but i have a religous background...and know alot of the bible and things like that. I know that the bible says to not believe anyone who claims to know the future. Nor psychics or any of that stuff..it's more satan's work....also i don't believe that if there is a god (hope that doesn't get anyone upset!) He doen'st choose someone who talks on the TV to share the world's forecast. I know you have to look out for imposters of god..etc...and people who claim to know god's work.

i've watched the 700 club a few times....and from what i saw, i didn't like, like i said i'm not religous...but from what i know...it was not good...he prayed one time, then said "you need to stop, you person sitting there laughing, you know how you are, you are sitting on your green couch..." and he went on to explain some random person i'm sure sitting on a green couch..and i'm sure there have been people to watch the show and mock it...after that i really really didn't like how the man had acted like he knew...do you catch my drift??

so i...if it means anything to you...don't think it's going to happen...just from the background i have in religon...i've actually read almost the whole bible, and have had it explained...went to a chrisitan school growing up....had bible studies, all that good stuff...

Re: I wouldn't believe people who claim to know the future... new
      #264278 - 05/19/06 05:17 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

There are prophecies all over the Bible to include the coming of Jesus and more so it is possible. Again, you need to consider the source but ultimately know that God has control,

Chely your pastor hit the nail on the head.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

I just watched the video clip of his "pronouncement" new
      #264284 - 05/19/06 05:58 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

Something very important to note - his warning of impending disaster is a direct lead-in to asking for money. He says, basically, 'These disasters are coming, we'll help with supplies, send us money.' Religion aside, that is very suspicious.

I think you can watch it here, but I'm not sure if it requires a subscription.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 632 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1309

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review