All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Shopping Woes
      #262578 - 05/09/06 07:08 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Ok, it is spring and there are so many cute clothes out there. I took my daughter shopping yesterday and I left the store feeling more depressed than ever.

I don't think I have a normal body that clothes from a store will fit. I use to but not anymore. I have discovered that my belly is a size 10 and my rear is a size 6. There are no clothes that fit this kind of shape properly.

If the pants fit my rear I can't get them buttoned but if they fit my belly they are so baggy in the rear.

Starting tomorrow I will be doing more situps that is for sure! There is no way I can even think about putting a bathing suit on this year. Good thing I live in Maine now where I hear the summer is only 2 days long, LOL!

Anyone else have this problem?

--------------------
Janey

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Shopping Woes new
      #262590 - 05/09/06 09:35 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

What about really low cut jeans? Sometimes you can get they to bypass the tummy problem on purpose... I have pretty much the same problem with higher rise jean styles (which I don't like anyway so its ok!)

-Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

#262624 - 05/10/06 06:45 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I have the opposite! A big bottom and no waist! I sympathize though, it is aweful trying to find pants. I buy size 27 jeans to fit my butt and the waist is 2 inches too big! We ought to start designing stuff that actually fits bodies, not supermodels!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#262641 - 05/10/06 07:58 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I'm like Toady, which is easier in that I have a waist about two sizes smaller than my hips/bum so I can wear a belt to help. For the opposite type figure I think the wide legged trousers, low rise ones, or skirts work best.

(I got a pair of trousers altered lately as the were enormous on my waist, and I have managed to rip the seam when pulling them down as my hips/bum are so much bigger than my waist so there's not enough material )

--------------------
S.

Me too! new
      #262655 - 05/10/06 09:16 AM
karyash

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Fargo, ND

I recently got fitted for a bridesmaid dress and was shocked to find out that my chest/waist is a size 6 and my rear is a size 12!

How's that for a pear shape? LOL

Kristi

I don't know anyone.. new
      #262659 - 05/10/06 10:01 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

who doesn't have one of these problems. And forget bridesmaid dresses--I just got fitted last night too (even though I'm 5 months pregnant, ha ha), and they must think women have tiny waists and large busts. I tried on the 6, which was snug in my waist, but I actually had ROOM in my chest, and believe me---my chest got bigger, abnormally bigger, because I'm pregnant. It's ridiculous!

--------------------

Re: Me too! new
      #262662 - 05/10/06 10:03 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Don't get me started!! I have the same problem, if I buy pants to fit my belly, even modern low rise ones, they are too big everywhere else. Forget a button up shirt! If I buy a shirt big enough for my belly, it GAPS at my boobs! I try and buy drawstring pants, Target has some cute cotton ones right now and I bought 3 pairs of them!! I also found some of those cute, goucho (sp?) pants at Kohls. I usually find elastic waists to be too tight but these fit nice around my tummy!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#262669 - 05/10/06 10:17 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Quote:

I'm like Toady, which is easier in that I have a waist about two sizes smaller than my hips/bum so I can wear a belt to help.

Aggghhh, I have that problem too!! Pants look OK from the front, but then when I turn to the side there's this giant gap between my back and the waistband. Belts help somewhat, but then all that gathered material makes me look fat. I usually alter my dress pants to fit, but jeans are beyond my skill level. I generally end up throwing on a baggy sweatshirt to conceal the whole mess.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#262706 - 05/10/06 01:03 PM
Janey

I was just at Target. I'll have to go back and check these out. I did try on a pair of drawstring capris but they looked terrible on me. I am too short and they were too long. I felt frumpy in them.

I always buy pants that are just below the waist or low rise. I cannot wear anything that is tight around my waist anymore. Way too uncomfortable and makes me want to jump out of my skin. A very weird feeling.

Sears is having a big sale and I am going to run by there and see if I can find something that fits.

Wish me luck because I have a feeling that I am going to need it.

--------------------
Janey

Re: Good Luck Janey! new
      #262708 - 05/10/06 01:17 PM
michele

I never have much luck at Sears!! But I LOVE a good sale!!

--------------------

#262715 - 05/10/06 02:03 PM
anag89

Reged: 11/21/05
Loc: El Paso, TX

And here I thought I was the only one. I too come out crying and depressed when out shopping, my problem is the same too but its in the gut and not the rear end. If I buy to fit around my gut the crotch is too big and if I buy to fit the crotch the waist is too small. I tell my husband that I will be saving for a tummy tuck but I never do and besides I am terrified of hospitals and surgery. If you know of any good excerise besides crunches and sit-ups let me know.

I got lucky new
      #262737 - 05/10/06 04:14 PM
Janey

I don't usually like Sears either but it was the right store tonight. I found a couple of pairs of pants that actually fit me and they were 8's. I was so excited. I also found two pairs of long shorts. They aren't capris which I love but I am too short for them, 5'3". These said they were long shorts and I tried them on and they came just below my knees and fit perfect. Of course, I did have to take the black socks off, LOL!

I figure either I lost a little in my belly, wasn't as bloated today or the pants I tried on run big. Whatever the reason I will take it!

--------------------
Janey

Re: I got lucky new
      #262747 - 05/10/06 05:23 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

That's great! My mom works at Sears and I think she has brought me the entire store to try on in the last month. I finally found a blouse there that was suitable for my shower. I had a pair of capris at home, thank heavens, because finding pants is a nightmare!! Glad you had some luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: I got lucky new
      #262756 - 05/10/06 06:43 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Lucky you! That's great!

I am currently wearing a pair of pants held together with a safety pin, and one pair of jeans with a hole in the knee because I can't find any pants that fit and they don't make the one brand I had (in 3 different colors) anymore!

I can't wear low rise because I'm so long wasted! They are too low and I'm not big enough to wear a women's size when I do find a rare pair that isn't low rise!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

suspenders!! new
      #262764 - 05/10/06 07:51 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I have that problem with dress pants. Bigger belly, smaller rump. I wear suspenders with my church clothes so my pants won't sag too far!! Now, with suspenders ... I have that "polished" look. Or so I would like to think.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

tell me about it.. new
      #262790 - 05/11/06 05:39 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

its why I RARELY wear pants and stick to dresses.. and am learning to sew my OWN clothing to solve it even more..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: YAY!!!! new
      #262823 - 05/11/06 08:36 AM
michele

Don't you love it when that happens!!!! I know what you're talking about when you say long shorts, I've seen them in the shops windows and they seem to be very popular right now! I'm 5'8 an not in the best of shape right now, so will probably stick to capris this summer!

--------------------

Re: Augie new
      #262825 - 05/11/06 08:38 AM
michele

If you prefer higher rise pants, try New York and Company. Its a chain store thats in all the malls around here and if you go on line you can usually find some good coupons! They have sizes 0-16 and usually have really cute stuff. I buy a lot of tops there but I don't like the pants because they are too high waisted!!

--------------------

#262827 - 05/11/06 08:39 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

I try and buy drawstring pants, Target has some cute cotton ones right now and I bought 3 pairs of them!!

I bought 2 pairs of these last night!! They are SO comfy! And only $9.99 per pair.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: tell me about it.. new
      #262828 - 05/11/06 08:40 AM
Janey

Good for you. Maybe I need to learn to sew. I have been saying for years that I wish I could sew.

--------------------
Janey

Re: Yay for Target! new
      #262829 - 05/11/06 08:41 AM
michele

I don't usually buy a lot of cloths from there but the last couple of summers, they have had a lot of drawstring drawers! Just want the bloated belly likes!

--------------------

Michele new
      #262831 - 05/11/06 08:43 AM
Janey

You are so lucky to be 5'8". You can wear capris, long skirts, etc. and they look good on you. All the things I love but can't wear because they make me look frumpy. I Can't be looking frumpy at 48, LOL!

--------------------
Janey

Re: No frumpy allowed! new
      #262833 - 05/11/06 08:48 AM
michele

You are WAY too young to be frumpy!! I do enjoy wearing long skirts to wrok but I've learned I have to be careful because I roll over them hem on them with my office chair!

--------------------

Re: No frumpy allowed! new
      #262838 - 05/11/06 09:00 AM
Janey

That's never a good thing especially if the skirt has an elastic waist. You'll be loosing your skirt in front of all your customers.

--------------------
Janey

I can only come to one conclusion ... new
      #262843 - 05/11/06 09:24 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

At some point, Janey, you must have laughed your @$$ off!

I feel ya, I really do. My waist and hips are really narrow, but my thighs have always been really big (it's muscle, not fat, I swear ... or so I tell myself). Anyway I can wear a 0 or a 2 in skirts but need a 4 and sometimes a 6 in pants from the very same store. Then the pants are too big around my waist. I'm long-waisted like Augie/Beth too, so in thise low-rise styles I'm always showing a bit of coinslot, if you know what I mean. My dress shirts never stay tucked into my pants when I wear suits. So annoying.

As for doing more situps -- that's probably not the way to go. You can't target-train fat (if only!), just muscle. In order to lose fat you have to do cardio (I know, stinky). Then you'll lose fat uniformly over your whole body. Situps will strengthen your muscles (never a bad thing) but it won't eliminate fat from your belly. What you CAN do though is build up your butt muscles so you can get a little more shape back there. An easy one is to get down on your hands and knees, and keeping your knee bent, slowly raise one knee off the ground so your thigh is parallel to the floor. Slowly bring it almost back to the ground, and then back up. Do 3 sets of 10 with each leg, 3 times a week.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Amanda.... new
      #262888 - 05/11/06 02:48 PM
Augie

...where do you buy your pants? Any particular brand? Since we are both small and long waisted as well.

thanks!

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks Michele new
      #262889 - 05/11/06 02:51 PM
Augie

...actually, the pants that are currently being held together with a safety pin are the NY and Co. brand. I can't find them anymore though.

When I go to the store, all I see are low rise...and I've personally asked if they have higher waisted.

I'll try to check out the website to see if they offer more options. Thanks for the tip!

--------------------
~ Beth

Guilty... new
      #262952 - 05/11/06 07:29 PM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

Though my waist is usually a size smaller in the waist, I am the same size top and bottom (size 6 or 8 depending what side of 130 lbs I am on!). However, other than my waist I have no curves...small busted...not much booty. So I supposed there may be benefits to being "without shape" but gosh....I wish I had more curves!

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

I have a friend who used to be head seamstress at greenfield village.. new
      #262988 - 05/12/06 04:55 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I have opted to start taking advantage of that and talked her into doing once a month sewing lessons.. and believe if or not I've been able to replicate the jacket we made at the first one, so I think I'll be able to do it after all!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I solve this problem with... new
      #263126 - 05/12/06 03:04 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

the A-line. Tops and dresses with empire cuts. And lots of skirts. I have the opposite problem though. Little waist, huge rear. I wear 8 on top, 12 or 14 on the bottom. I try to look at the positives of this though. I can close (and sometimes lock, LOL) any door w/o using my hands. I can knock over people that aren't nice to me by turning around when I stand next to them (again w/o the hands) and I always have padding when I fall on my butt. Sometimes a little extra jiggle can be good.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Amanda.... new
      #263132 - 05/12/06 03:55 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I really like the Editor and the Correspondent pants from Express. Give them a try -- they usually run good sales in the summer.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Hoho....you are too cool!~nt~ new
      #263168 - 05/12/06 08:06 PM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Thanks for the tip! new
      #263210 - 05/13/06 08:54 AM
Augie

I'll have to look for a sale!

--------------------
~ Beth

I second that!-nt new
      #263212 - 05/13/06 09:01 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Ahh, thanks guys! -nt new
      #263220 - 05/13/06 10:59 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 544 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3599

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review