Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Had my first ever CAT Scan today...and a question
      #261401 - 05/03/06 06:42 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Well as usual I have to apologize for not being on here as much as I'd like...I do try and read things as much as I can but things have been rough around here.

Anyways, hoping someone can maybe help me. I ended up in the ER last night ... it was so weird. I felt fine and was watching TV and got up from the couch to go to bed and just tipped over on my right side. Then the room started spinning and I got the worst right-sided headache I have ever had. It wouldn't subside and the dizziness was getting so bad I had to be carried to the bathroom

So finally Scott took me to the ER...they gave me pain meds (bless them) and did a bunch of neurological testing and stuff and discovered I had a bad inner ear infection causing the dizziness (and low BP). Anyways, they were still concerned about the pain so they sent me for a CAT scan (I couldn't believe it...a CAT scan in under an hour in Canada!) which thankfully was negative.

So I'm just to take it easy and take Gravol for the dizziness...but my question actually concerns MRIs. THe doctor mentioned I may need one because my cortisol levels are so messed up and with the severe headache I may have a pituitary tumor which wouldn't show up on a cat scan. I'm ok with that...I know all about it and they aren't cancerous or anything...my concern is that the technician mentioned an MRI might be a problem because I've got a permanent metal retainer in the back of my six bottom teeth and four top teeth (at the front). Since an MRI is a big magnet, apparently that can cause problems. Anyone know what you do? Will I have to have the wires out?

Thanks for any advice

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Had my first ever CAT Scan today...and a question new
      #261402 - 05/03/06 07:01 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I know that the wires can be removed after a certain amount of time that you've had them. Their purpose is only to hold the teeth in place while the gums reset (after braces or surgury), so I assume taking out the wires would be fine.

As for the MRI, my mother suffered a stroke a month back and had to go through one. They made her remove anything that even smelled of metal. The magnet is really, really strong, so I think maybe they'd have to come out.

I imagine they will make you.. new
      #261430 - 05/04/06 05:01 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

when I had mine it was no jewlery at all, and they actually offfered to help remove it if need be.. though it does depend on the metal they are- a friend has a plate in her skull- metal and has had many MRI's... good luck- they did an MRI of my pituitary lst year- its not nearly as scary as it seems and I'm claustrophobic.. they really work with you to help..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: I imagine they will make you.. new
      #261486 - 05/04/06 08:22 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sorry to hear you had to visit the ER! I don't honestly know the answer to your question. However, on House (tv program) the other night, they couldn't do an MRI on a guy because he had metal bullet fragments in his head. When I had a MRI on my hips last year, I was actually padded down by the tech to be sure I wasn't wearing a bra and had no jewelry on. At least the tech was a cute guy!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

LOL! new
      #261567 - 05/04/06 12:56 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

That was the exact image I had in my head...that poor man having the bullets come right out of his head...thought the same thing might happen to my teeth! (great episode of House though!). And a cute tech eh? Well, that's not too bad then

Re: I imagine they will make you.. new
      #261572 - 05/04/06 01:09 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

That sounds a bit fishy to me, how come the tech guy couldn't ask you if you had jewellery on or a bra with metal in it?

--------------------

Re: Tommy new
      #261574 - 05/04/06 01:11 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yeah, I thought the same thing but since he was a hottie, I didn't really mind!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 829

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review