All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Anyone else have excessive underarm sweating? A treatment option that I'm exploring.
      #261344 - 05/03/06 01:59 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

It's a medical condition. I've had it since I've been a teenager and it's no fun. It causes excessive sweating in my armpits for no apparent reason. It's some kind of gland dysfunction.

Anyhow, I FINALLY decided to try to get treatment for it. Changing my clothing and putting deoderant on a feww times a day isn't a good plan. Apparently Botox injections into the gland of the affected armpits temporarily stops sweating there for several months. So I made an appt. to meet with a doctor that treats this.

If it works, it would be like a god send to me. With warm weather coming and job interviews (soon, I hope) I just don't want to deal with this pain anymore!

I've talked about it to only those close to me who have noticed. Unfortunately, when I get all sweaty, their is also a smell that comes along with it. Not pretty! That's why I have to change tops and reapply my deoderant or scented body spray often. I'm ok if I wear sleeveless shirts though. It's when the fabric of a top gets damp that it's a problem. Oddly enough, I don't sweat much when I work out at the gym. LOL! Odd!!

I'm VERY curious if anyone else has this???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: YUP!! new
      #261351 - 05/03/06 02:10 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Always been exactly the same!! For a period of a couple of years I didn't own any clothing that wasn't black, bar work shirts that I could wear black suit jackets over!! I feel like I'm a little better at the moment, but considering I have barely been out of the house for several months and live in baggy T-shirts that probably doesn't mean much...

I have found a deodorant that seems to work pretty well for me, so I stick to that one. I've researched the injections several times, but have to admit I've been too much of a wuss to take it further! Also it costs quite a lot, and I have no money at the moment...

Definitely keep us posted, I'm personally really interested to see how you go, and whether you decide to do it or not. Good luck!!

**Edited to add - isn't it gross when you get that little patch under your arm in sleeveless tops that goes all discoloured 'cause you've sweated in it a few times!! Yuck!!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Edited by Blondie13 (05/03/06 02:12 PM)

Re: Anyone else have excessive underarm sweating? A treatment option that I'm exploring. new
      #261353 - 05/03/06 02:15 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Not sure if this is related, but maybe an idea that may help. My boyfriend has a problem with getting heat rashes (and sweating more than normal) when he wears clothing from the friction of the fabric. I washed his clothes a couple months ago in laundry detergent without scent or dyes and his heat rash is so much better. We think it was all the added dyes and scents put into laundry detergent that didn't like his skin or pores.

Not sure if this will help your condition, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#261354 - 05/03/06 02:15 PM
Sara-Sage

Wow Caroline. I have never met anyone else with this! Cool.

I have had to completely change the way I buy clothes. I own a lot of black too. There are so many delicate fabrics that I don't dare wear at all. I like to layer too.

What deoderant do you use? I tried one for this condition but it gave me a horrible rash and was way too harsh.

I honestly don't care how muchthe needles hurt. There are as thin as hair though. Plus I've had accupuncture and didn't mind it at all. Needles don't scare me.

Since it's a medical condition, it is very often covered by insurance. My appt is on Tuesday so they'll let me know more then.

Yes about that little bit of dampness with sleevess tops!!! It's so funny that you know exctly all about this! Were are now sweat sisters!! LOL!

Re: Anyone else have excessive underarm sweating? A treatment option that I'm exploring. new
      #261355 - 05/03/06 02:18 PM
Sara-Sage

Not sure if it's related to that. I do know that the tighter the fabric to my armpits the greater the sweating will be.

I might try buying a scent-free detergent though to test this out!!!

Thanks.

#261360 - 05/03/06 02:38 PM
Blondie13

Sweat Sisters? Cool! Know exactly what you mean - I've never met anyone the same either! I know there's a proper medical condition, where people are far worse than I am - like even if they're not dressed and fresh out of a cold shower, they literally have sweat running over their body. I'm so glad I'm not quite that bad!

It's funny you mentioned interviews - I lost my last job just over a year ago, mainly because of the time I'd had to take off work because of IBS, and all the times I'd been late from having attacks in the morning. I took 2 weeks to recover, then went on the job hunt - though deciding (because of my study) I wanted to move to part time work. I had 3 interviews - and in each one when I came out and took my (black!) suit jacket off my shirt was literally soaked!! Really gross... I drove home really fast with my windows down to dry it out!! Ruined 2 new shirts...

I've tried a couple of those super-strong deodorants, but bizarrely they never made a difference at all. I just use Sure un-perfumed for sensitive skin, though it's by no means perfect.

Bout the needles - I don't have a thing about them either, it's just the thought of having them in my armpit that freaks me out! Never been able to have an armpit wax for the very same reason!!

--------------------

#261366 - 05/03/06 02:59 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I don't know much about it, but my aunt had that problem and was told it was a medical problem. It drove her crazy. It just dawned on me that I always saw her in sleeveless dresses.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#261369 - 05/03/06 03:03 PM
Sara-Sage

ha ha, ya Sweat Sisters!

There are people that are worse off. I knew a guy who sweat like mad from his underarms, face, back, etc. I felt so badly for him. I went to a wedding that he was also at and he was just covered in sweat and everyone was looking at him. Poor guy.

I missed a lot of work 2 years ago because of my ibs. I got a warning but it never came to being fired. That must have been awful for you.

Speaking of interviews...ugh! I get a D attack from the stress (usually) and then I have this sweating thing. ha ha I have had to throw good clothes out too. I once bought a silk blouse...dumb! I cannot wear silk as it almost brings on the sweat! I had to throw it away after only wearing it once. It got stained with white sweat/deoderant stains.

I will try Sure. But I've tried them all, especially the "tough, made for men" ones. LOL!

I went for an armpit wax once. You know what??!!! Because of my excessive sweating (plus I was super nervous) the wax didn't want to adhere very well. So you're not missing anything. I would never have it done again. I couldn't beleive the pain, nothing like an eyebrow wax.

#261370 - 05/03/06 03:05 PM
Sara-Sage

Yes, sleeves are "the enemy". ha ha

#261373 - 05/03/06 03:10 PM
Blondie13

Yeah, unless like me you hate your flabby upper arms with a passion and hate going out in public with sleeveless tops on!! Can't say I particularly like it even in the house!

When it comes to clothes it's a neverending debate for me: sweaty armpits or flabby arms on show...

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5362

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review