All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Anyone else have excessive underarm sweating? A treatment option that I'm exploring.
      #261344 - 05/03/06 01:59 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

It's a medical condition. I've had it since I've been a teenager and it's no fun. It causes excessive sweating in my armpits for no apparent reason. It's some kind of gland dysfunction.

Anyhow, I FINALLY decided to try to get treatment for it. Changing my clothing and putting deoderant on a feww times a day isn't a good plan. Apparently Botox injections into the gland of the affected armpits temporarily stops sweating there for several months. So I made an appt. to meet with a doctor that treats this.

If it works, it would be like a god send to me. With warm weather coming and job interviews (soon, I hope) I just don't want to deal with this pain anymore!

I've talked about it to only those close to me who have noticed. Unfortunately, when I get all sweaty, their is also a smell that comes along with it. Not pretty! That's why I have to change tops and reapply my deoderant or scented body spray often. I'm ok if I wear sleeveless shirts though. It's when the fabric of a top gets damp that it's a problem. Oddly enough, I don't sweat much when I work out at the gym. LOL! Odd!!

I'm VERY curious if anyone else has this???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: YUP!! new
      #261351 - 05/03/06 02:10 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Always been exactly the same!! For a period of a couple of years I didn't own any clothing that wasn't black, bar work shirts that I could wear black suit jackets over!! I feel like I'm a little better at the moment, but considering I have barely been out of the house for several months and live in baggy T-shirts that probably doesn't mean much...

I have found a deodorant that seems to work pretty well for me, so I stick to that one. I've researched the injections several times, but have to admit I've been too much of a wuss to take it further! Also it costs quite a lot, and I have no money at the moment...

Definitely keep us posted, I'm personally really interested to see how you go, and whether you decide to do it or not. Good luck!!

**Edited to add - isn't it gross when you get that little patch under your arm in sleeveless tops that goes all discoloured 'cause you've sweated in it a few times!! Yuck!!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Edited by Blondie13 (05/03/06 02:12 PM)

Re: Anyone else have excessive underarm sweating? A treatment option that I'm exploring. new
      #261353 - 05/03/06 02:15 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Not sure if this is related, but maybe an idea that may help. My boyfriend has a problem with getting heat rashes (and sweating more than normal) when he wears clothing from the friction of the fabric. I washed his clothes a couple months ago in laundry detergent without scent or dyes and his heat rash is so much better. We think it was all the added dyes and scents put into laundry detergent that didn't like his skin or pores.

Not sure if this will help your condition, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#261354 - 05/03/06 02:15 PM
Sara-Sage

Wow Caroline. I have never met anyone else with this! Cool.

I have had to completely change the way I buy clothes. I own a lot of black too. There are so many delicate fabrics that I don't dare wear at all. I like to layer too.

What deoderant do you use? I tried one for this condition but it gave me a horrible rash and was way too harsh.

I honestly don't care how muchthe needles hurt. There are as thin as hair though. Plus I've had accupuncture and didn't mind it at all. Needles don't scare me.

Since it's a medical condition, it is very often covered by insurance. My appt is on Tuesday so they'll let me know more then.

Yes about that little bit of dampness with sleevess tops!!! It's so funny that you know exctly all about this! Were are now sweat sisters!! LOL!

Re: Anyone else have excessive underarm sweating? A treatment option that I'm exploring. new
      #261355 - 05/03/06 02:18 PM
Sara-Sage

Not sure if it's related to that. I do know that the tighter the fabric to my armpits the greater the sweating will be.

I might try buying a scent-free detergent though to test this out!!!

Thanks.

#261360 - 05/03/06 02:38 PM
Blondie13

Sweat Sisters? Cool! Know exactly what you mean - I've never met anyone the same either! I know there's a proper medical condition, where people are far worse than I am - like even if they're not dressed and fresh out of a cold shower, they literally have sweat running over their body. I'm so glad I'm not quite that bad!

It's funny you mentioned interviews - I lost my last job just over a year ago, mainly because of the time I'd had to take off work because of IBS, and all the times I'd been late from having attacks in the morning. I took 2 weeks to recover, then went on the job hunt - though deciding (because of my study) I wanted to move to part time work. I had 3 interviews - and in each one when I came out and took my (black!) suit jacket off my shirt was literally soaked!! Really gross... I drove home really fast with my windows down to dry it out!! Ruined 2 new shirts...

I've tried a couple of those super-strong deodorants, but bizarrely they never made a difference at all. I just use Sure un-perfumed for sensitive skin, though it's by no means perfect.

Bout the needles - I don't have a thing about them either, it's just the thought of having them in my armpit that freaks me out! Never been able to have an armpit wax for the very same reason!!

--------------------

#261366 - 05/03/06 02:59 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I don't know much about it, but my aunt had that problem and was told it was a medical problem. It drove her crazy. It just dawned on me that I always saw her in sleeveless dresses.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#261369 - 05/03/06 03:03 PM
Sara-Sage

ha ha, ya Sweat Sisters!

There are people that are worse off. I knew a guy who sweat like mad from his underarms, face, back, etc. I felt so badly for him. I went to a wedding that he was also at and he was just covered in sweat and everyone was looking at him. Poor guy.

I missed a lot of work 2 years ago because of my ibs. I got a warning but it never came to being fired. That must have been awful for you.

Speaking of interviews...ugh! I get a D attack from the stress (usually) and then I have this sweating thing. ha ha I have had to throw good clothes out too. I once bought a silk blouse...dumb! I cannot wear silk as it almost brings on the sweat! I had to throw it away after only wearing it once. It got stained with white sweat/deoderant stains.

I will try Sure. But I've tried them all, especially the "tough, made for men" ones. LOL!

I went for an armpit wax once. You know what??!!! Because of my excessive sweating (plus I was super nervous) the wax didn't want to adhere very well. So you're not missing anything. I would never have it done again. I couldn't beleive the pain, nothing like an eyebrow wax.

#261370 - 05/03/06 03:05 PM
Sara-Sage

Yes, sleeves are "the enemy". ha ha

#261373 - 05/03/06 03:10 PM
Blondie13

Yeah, unless like me you hate your flabby upper arms with a passion and hate going out in public with sleeveless tops on!! Can't say I particularly like it even in the house!

When it comes to clothes it's a neverending debate for me: sweaty armpits or flabby arms on show...

--------------------

Re: i have a friend that did that.... new
      #261387 - 05/03/06 04:37 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

she was actually just talking to me about it last week, i'm not sure why...but we were talking about it, and she does the botox thing too...she says it's helped alot. she pays $800 a year and gets one injection a year.....and said it really helps, becuase it can be embarassing. i asked if i could get injections in my hands, becuase my palms sweat SOO bad...but i guess they can take out a nerve, which i am thinking some time to explore, becasue it's out of control too!!

but i guess it's really helped with her

#261396 - 05/03/06 05:55 PM
Sara-Sage

Wow, that seems very expensive. Does she have health insurance?

In your hands, huh? That must be tough.

#261397 - 05/03/06 05:57 PM
Sara-Sage

I'd go for the flabby underams over sweaty ones.

I have been working out like mad so I hope my arms aren't flabby anymore and are toned. But even if they're not perfect, I still prefer no sleeves!

#261400 - 05/03/06 06:14 PM
LalaBlue

Reged: 05/15/05
Loc: Earth

Hi folks,

I joined the site a while ago and haven't been back in a while...

I tried Botox injections to treat sweating a while back. The injections were not too bad but they did sting a little. However, the entire process did not take long for the doctor to do, a few minutes max. I had some discomfort for a day after the treatment but after that I was fine. For me, the injections did not completely stop my sweating so I decided not to keep spending the money.

As for deodorants, try Lavilin. For me, it's the best deodorant ever invented. It's slightly more expensive than regular deodorants but it's worth the money. Also, a small container of it lasts a while. You can buy it on the internet. I haven't found it in stores. Be sure to follow the directions as it can cause rashes.

Good luck with the injections.

Regards,
Lala

I definitely do.............. new
      #261406 - 05/03/06 07:34 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

If you find that this or anything helps or works please do let me know. It has been so embrassing and I have to plan my whole wardrobe aroud it. I can't buy the colours I like, the styles I like. It is just in my underarms that this happens. If I wear nice colours, which actually look better on me than black or brown I always have to layer. It doesn't matter if it is the middle of winter or the summertime I sweat just the same. It is funny though, when I workout I am never drenched in sweat like some people. My button up dress shirts for work are the WORST I have the marks before I even get to work!! then I have to walk around with my arms down and clenched tight all day. It is definitele worse around my period too which makes me wonder if it isn't partly hormonal but I have never looked into it. I have always used scent free laundry detergent and no dryer sheets and it hasn't helped me any with this problem, just thought I would mention that as someone has suggested to try it.
Anyway, please let me know what you find out,
Bethany

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#261409 - 05/03/06 07:59 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

I had this for about 2 weeks not too long ago. It only happened at night though. My armpits absolutely wreaked. I was drinking 72 oz. of water a night after waking up each hour sweating through my armpits and having a very dry mouth. It just gradually decreased to the point where it doesn't happen anymore but I can relate to what you're going through.

I got this after taking antibiotics for a couple of days and a Benadryl after I had to go to the Emergency Room because of the antibiotics side effects. I wish I had an answer for you. It could also be anxiety related too.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

me too.. new
      #261429 - 05/04/06 04:59 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

let me know how the botox goes.. I was on perscription deoderant/antiperspirant for years but someone introduced me to arrid XX and it is better then the others, but still not perfect and a lot less then 10$ for less then amonth supply...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#261439 - 05/04/06 06:20 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My bestfriend has the same problem but I don't think she's aware that there are actually treatment options for it!!

I'll have to let her know!!

Good luck!!!

#261453 - 05/04/06 07:02 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

no, she pays out of pocket. it's only once a year, but we live in the bay area, california, where everyone botoxes everything...so it may be cheaper where your at!!

yeah, i hate being a "sweaty palmer" thats what people alway call me, nice huh?

#261466 - 05/04/06 07:42 AM
Sara-Sage

Yes, do let her know! I first heard about the Botox thing for treating in on a City Tv Breakfast Television show from Toronto last year.

Re: me too.. new
      #261467 - 05/04/06 07:43 AM
Sara-Sage

Ok, I'll let you know what happens.

Re: I definitely do.............. new
      #261468 - 05/04/06 07:48 AM
Sara-Sage

Bethany, I get it in the winter too but with heavy sweaters it hides it so well. Plus with the bulk of a heavy sweater I used to put some kleenex in my armpits to absorb the sweat and change it from time to time. That worked very well actually. They actually make things called 'shields' that fit into your clothing and temporarily adhere to your underam area. I haven't tried them though, I made my own version with kleenex. Look: http://www.kleinertsshields.com/

Button up dress shirts are the WORST so I cannot even wear them. It's pointless! For work I have always had to buy blouses that are not cotton and are super lightweight.

I'll keep you updated.

Lala new
      #261470 - 05/04/06 07:52 AM
Sara-Sage

Yes they do state that some people respond betetr than others. They sa though that it's the skill of the doctor injecting the Botox though. The doc has to inject right at certain spots and some are better than others. If that makes sense.

I'll look up Lavilin. Thanks!

#261473 - 05/04/06 07:54 AM
Sara-Sage

Oh ok thanks Lyndsey. I'll find out soon enough what the cost of it is here. They told me that it's 95% probably covered by insurance though.

Have you always had sweaty palms? There is a surgery that they can do to fix that. It involves removing whatver gland or item that causes the over stimulation of sweat.

#261474 - 05/04/06 07:56 AM
Sara-Sage

Yes it might be anxiety related. I know for SURE that it gets worse when I'm nervous, But then again, I get it just sitting on the couch watching tv too. It's a dysfunction where the body recats inappropriately.

Sara-Sage new
      #262030 - 05/06/06 06:08 PM
Betharoo

I was in Michigan this week and I picked up some Certain Dri to try I'll let you know how it works. You got me thinking about treating this and I was searching on the web for options. I'm sure it won't be 100% but anything is an improvement!

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Sara-Sage new
      #262034 - 05/06/06 07:35 PM
Sara-Sage

Is this a regular deoderant or one made for excessive sweating? Let me know if it helps at all!

#262055 - 05/06/06 11:55 PM
Betharoo

It is made for hyperhydrosis. It says it is prescription strength but it is over the counter. I have to apply it at night and it is supposed to last at least 72 hours once it works so we will see! I will let you know, cross your fingers (or maybe your arms, haha sorry couldn't resist) for me!

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#262104 - 05/07/06 02:29 PM
Sara-Sage

Good one - I will cross my arms. tee hee

Please let me know if it causes irritation and if it helps!

Re: Actually I don't have it but....... new
      #262159 - 05/07/06 03:51 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

My best man and friend got a prescription for some kind of stuff called DriSol or something like that. YOu only put it on once a month or some ungodly amount of time. Sounds weird but it works. Maybe your family MD could prescibe it. He actually would only wear tydyed shirts all his life because you couldn't see the sweat through them. He actually can wear white t-shirts now!

Good luck with the job hunting/interviewing

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Actually I don't have it but....... new
      #262260 - 05/08/06 07:53 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Lisa. I have heard of that and tried a similar product but ti caused so much skin irritation that I couldn't continue using it long enough to see any results.

But I'm happy it has worked for him!!!

Thanks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1555 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5412

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review