All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Hair Dye?
      #260099 - 04/25/06 08:12 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I have a question for the people out there who dye their hair. I used to always get highlights done which I found held their color really well...but I was sick of them and am now going with full color. I've been going darker, it's supposed to be a brunette but it comes out with a lot of reddish undertones. The thing is, I don't seem to be holding the color well. Any thoughts?

I'm using a color-hold shampoo (the brunette stuff from John Freida) and I listened to my stylist and tried not to wash it much. It was done friday afternoon and I didnt' wash it until late sunday night, and the water in the shower was turning brownish/red. Then I didn't wash it again until today, and again brownish/red water.

If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it. Should I call the salon where I had it done? Is this normal? The color looks more or less the same so maybe it's normal, but I don't like seeing color going down the drain...for me it's like watching little dollar bills go down the drain

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hair Dye? new
      #260101 - 04/25/06 08:16 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

The first couple of times I wash my hair after colouring and highlights some colour does come out. I think that's normal.

#260109 - 04/25/06 11:24 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Maybe a couple washings will still have some color loss but it shouldn't wash out enough to notice. If it is fading too fast ask your hairdresser about the product used. Some brands are better than others. I have VERY hard water so I have to really try to not overwash it. I like to wash my hair everyday but it's impossible if I still want tinted hair. Good luck.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#260138 - 04/26/06 07:52 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

this is normal so I wouldn't worry. The first couple of times after getting my hair dyed dark this happened to me too. It seems like soo much of it going down the drain and you're right you almost feel ripped off but it doesn't really affect your colour. I do the same as you and wait as long as I can before washing it after the colour. Another thing I have heard is not to use really hot water to have it on the colder side because hot water will make it come out faster as well. I looove the colour of your hair in your pics you just posted it looks really nice. Mine is on the blonder side right now.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#260154 - 04/26/06 10:17 AM
OkCupcake

Reged: 04/25/06
Loc: Victoria BC, Canada

To hold your pigment, wash your hair only 2 times a week if possible, and wash with cold/cool water. hot water opens the hair shaft up, and lets the colours fade faster. Using a shampoo specific for your hair colour is a great idea as well, be sure to have a quality conditioning treatment.

--------------------
Zeus turns to Narcissus and says, 'God, look at yourself....'

#260157 - 04/26/06 10:25 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I color my hair at home about every 4-5 weeks! I got tired of paying salon pricing so I just do it myself now! I use a very dark auburn, anything with red tones will fade faster as the red color is harder to hold, not sure why that is, but it is! I wash my hair about every other day and the first 3-4 times after I color it, I get the run off color as well. I also agree that using cooler water helps hold the color!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#260160 - 04/26/06 10:30 AM
OkCupcake

Reged: 04/25/06
Loc: Victoria BC, Canada

I try and wash mine only twice a week.. as I am naturally a brunette.. and I maintain a near platinum bottle blonde hair colour... plus I often add panels of pink.. so the cold wash is mandatory in order to avoid an all over hue of baby pink streaks... plus more you wash, the easier hair gets damaged.. so for the high lift tones, definately something to remember hehe.

--------------------
Zeus turns to Narcissus and says, 'God, look at yourself....'

#260163 - 04/26/06 10:36 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yeah, I spent the 80's being blonde!! Bleach Blonde!! Going with the darker hair coloring is definitely more gentle on your hair! I WISH I could get away with washing my hair twice a week!!!! Its not really the washing that bothers me, its the 20 minutes it takes to blow dry it!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#260197 - 04/26/06 12:08 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I had the same troubles. What I did was picked a colour that was a little darker than I wanted and then after a couple of weeks of washing I ended up with the colour I was looking for and it didn't fade any further. As far as the red goes I had exactly the same problem when I first decided to go brunette. After trying a couple different colours and still seeing red in my hair I stressed to the stylist that I DID NOT want ANY red in my hair AT ALL.....and finally got a good colour now that I like.

I second the suggestion that you should try to wash your hair no more than twice/week. I've been told that by many stylists and I find that it helps keep my colour longer (and I have healthier hair because of it). Cooler water is also a good tip!!!

Good luck!!!

#260201 - 04/26/06 12:16 PM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

REALLY!!!! I wash mine everyday but about colour fading...apparently anti-dandruff shampoo strips hair colour, and hot water. My hair dresser told me that and I know when I died my hair at home (only done this once and it was a disaster) my hair was too dark so I washed it loads with anti-dandruff - and it faded dramatically. So if you don`t want it to fade don`t do this!!!

It should stop fading in the next couple of washes, unless its semi-permanent hair dye.

Hope that helps!
Jo x

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 600 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3724

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review