All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Hair Dye?
      #260099 - 04/25/06 08:12 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I have a question for the people out there who dye their hair. I used to always get highlights done which I found held their color really well...but I was sick of them and am now going with full color. I've been going darker, it's supposed to be a brunette but it comes out with a lot of reddish undertones. The thing is, I don't seem to be holding the color well. Any thoughts?

I'm using a color-hold shampoo (the brunette stuff from John Freida) and I listened to my stylist and tried not to wash it much. It was done friday afternoon and I didnt' wash it until late sunday night, and the water in the shower was turning brownish/red. Then I didn't wash it again until today, and again brownish/red water.

If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it. Should I call the salon where I had it done? Is this normal? The color looks more or less the same so maybe it's normal, but I don't like seeing color going down the drain...for me it's like watching little dollar bills go down the drain

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hair Dye? new
      #260101 - 04/25/06 08:16 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

The first couple of times I wash my hair after colouring and highlights some colour does come out. I think that's normal.

#260109 - 04/25/06 11:24 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Maybe a couple washings will still have some color loss but it shouldn't wash out enough to notice. If it is fading too fast ask your hairdresser about the product used. Some brands are better than others. I have VERY hard water so I have to really try to not overwash it. I like to wash my hair everyday but it's impossible if I still want tinted hair. Good luck.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#260138 - 04/26/06 07:52 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05

this is normal so I wouldn't worry. The first couple of times after getting my hair dyed dark this happened to me too. It seems like soo much of it going down the drain and you're right you almost feel ripped off but it doesn't really affect your colour. I do the same as you and wait as long as I can before washing it after the colour. Another thing I have heard is not to use really hot water to have it on the colder side because hot water will make it come out faster as well. I looove the colour of your hair in your pics you just posted it looks really nice. Mine is on the blonder side right now.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#260154 - 04/26/06 10:17 AM
OkCupcake

Reged: 04/25/06
Loc: Victoria BC, Canada

To hold your pigment, wash your hair only 2 times a week if possible, and wash with cold/cool water. hot water opens the hair shaft up, and lets the colours fade faster. Using a shampoo specific for your hair colour is a great idea as well, be sure to have a quality conditioning treatment.

--------------------
Zeus turns to Narcissus and says, 'God, look at yourself....'

#260157 - 04/26/06 10:25 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I color my hair at home about every 4-5 weeks! I got tired of paying salon pricing so I just do it myself now! I use a very dark auburn, anything with red tones will fade faster as the red color is harder to hold, not sure why that is, but it is! I wash my hair about every other day and the first 3-4 times after I color it, I get the run off color as well. I also agree that using cooler water helps hold the color!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#260160 - 04/26/06 10:30 AM
OkCupcake

Reged: 04/25/06
Loc: Victoria BC, Canada

I try and wash mine only twice a week.. as I am naturally a brunette.. and I maintain a near platinum bottle blonde hair colour... plus I often add panels of pink.. so the cold wash is mandatory in order to avoid an all over hue of baby pink streaks... plus more you wash, the easier hair gets damaged.. so for the high lift tones, definately something to remember hehe.

--------------------
Zeus turns to Narcissus and says, 'God, look at yourself....'

#260163 - 04/26/06 10:36 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yeah, I spent the 80's being blonde!! Bleach Blonde!! Going with the darker hair coloring is definitely more gentle on your hair! I WISH I could get away with washing my hair twice a week!!!! Its not really the washing that bothers me, its the 20 minutes it takes to blow dry it!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#260197 - 04/26/06 12:08 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I had the same troubles. What I did was picked a colour that was a little darker than I wanted and then after a couple of weeks of washing I ended up with the colour I was looking for and it didn't fade any further. As far as the red goes I had exactly the same problem when I first decided to go brunette. After trying a couple different colours and still seeing red in my hair I stressed to the stylist that I DID NOT want ANY red in my hair AT ALL.....and finally got a good colour now that I like.

I second the suggestion that you should try to wash your hair no more than twice/week. I've been told that by many stylists and I find that it helps keep my colour longer (and I have healthier hair because of it). Cooler water is also a good tip!!!

Good luck!!!

#260201 - 04/26/06 12:16 PM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

REALLY!!!! I wash mine everyday but about colour fading...apparently anti-dandruff shampoo strips hair colour, and hot water. My hair dresser told me that and I know when I died my hair at home (only done this once and it was a disaster) my hair was too dark so I washed it loads with anti-dandruff - and it faded dramatically. So if you don`t want it to fade don`t do this!!!

It should stop fading in the next couple of washes, unless its semi-permanent hair dye.

Hope that helps!
Jo x

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

#260304 - 04/26/06 07:58 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

I am guessing we are about the same hair color from your photo. I usually go a shade or two darker than my natural color so it is a dark brown with red tones. My colorist recommends me not having washed my hair the day before I come in to have it colored. For some reason it helps hold the color better and since I am getting it shampooed there after the color it's clean again. When we do the shampoo it done with warm water...not hot and not cold. We use a color treated formula shampoo and deep conditioner since it seems to hold the color better. Then apply a protein spray, color and heat protection spray for the blow out.

I can honestly say that waiting then 48-72 hours to wash my hair after the color helps it last longer. I wash it with a gentle color treated shampoo and rinse with warm water. I do have some trace for the first two shampoos- part of which I guess is coming off the scalp according to my colorist and not the hair. I keep using a protein spray and heat protectant every time I wash and dry my hair. The plus is that since I switched to her I don't have to color my hair except for every eight to ten weeks! Much better than the normal 5 weeks I had been doing it. Let me know if you want to know the products that I have been using. Hope this helps.

Michelle

Hey Michelle new
      #260401 - 04/27/06 11:55 AM
Vicam

I would love to know what products you use. Right now I'm using John Frieda's stuff...and I just talked to a cosmetician at the drug store and she said that she thought I should be using the "red" color protect instead of the brunette, just because there is so much underlying red to my color and red is the hardest color to hold. I can apparently return it so I guess it's worth a shot.

#260402 - 04/27/06 11:56 AM
Vicam

Thanks for the tips but sadly I dont' think either will work for me. I can't stand not washing my hair everyday...every other day is a huge stretch for me. And as for the cold water...that will never happen. I'm constantly shivering in the shower even thought it's hot...even the thought of using cold just drives me crazy! But I can see how it would help...guess I'll just have to resign myself to the fact that it's going to fade faster than I'd like.

Stupid Red! new
      #260403 - 04/27/06 11:59 AM
Vicam

I don't understand why red is so much harder to hold! I guess I could go straight brunette, but I kinda like the red tones and a lot of people have said they think it really suits me. I used to be a natural redhead when I was younger but then it gradually became blonde. I just bought a "red" color protect shampoo and conditionner so I figure I'll give that a try. Doing it at home just scares me so I just let it fade

Bethany new
      #260404 - 04/27/06 12:00 PM
Vicam

Thanks Glad you liked it...it's so different for me but I really love it...been a blonde a long time and it's nice to do something different...makes my sister and I look less alike too

Do you get your hair colored in London? If you do, would you mind if I asked where you go?

Franny new
      #260405 - 04/27/06 12:03 PM
Vicam

Well, even though there is a lot in the water, it doesn't look like the hair color itself is changing so I think it's ok. If by the end of a week and a half or so it's really faded I'll go back and complain and see if they'll redo it or touch it up or something.

Thanks - nt new
      #260406 - 04/27/06 12:04 PM
Vicam

Kimm new
      #260408 - 04/27/06 12:05 PM
Vicam

Nice to "see" you again I actually wanted the red tones so that part's ok...I just don't like how coppery it gets when it starts to fade too quickly. Maybe I'll try that suggestion of going darker...but I think it would be a bit of a shock to begin with. Is your hair color now different than in your pic?

Jo new
      #260410 - 04/27/06 12:08 PM
Vicam

Actually it is semi-permanent color...is that really bad? The colorist I went to said that's best for people with lighter hair...easier on the hair and that they don't normally go with permanent color unless they are trying to cover up greys. Maybe that's my whole problem right there!

Re: Bethany new
      #260422 - 04/27/06 12:57 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05

I have moved to Woodstock so i get my hair done here, it is sooo expensive I can't leave the place without spending at least $100. I have alot of hair , and i mean alot, long and really thick. I used to just go to Cutz across from Fanshawe but the only one I would see was Jessica. Hmm I will find out where my friend goes because she lives in London and gets her hair done all the time.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Kimm new
      #260424 - 04/27/06 12:58 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yeah my hair is MUCH darker now....but that was my intention. It did take me a couple dye jobs to get the exact colour I wanted though.

Anything with red untones generally fades more....I wish I had some more suggestions for you.

Re: Jo new
      #260427 - 04/27/06 01:24 PM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

I have my hair coloured in permanant colour and I`m only 20 (so definately not going grey yet. Im not an expert but I think Semi-permanant colours will have lots of excess colour in the first few washes because the colour doesn`t "sink" into your hair as much just because of the fact that it isn`t permanant.

Semi-permanant is a better option for hair though as it conditions it, plus you don`t get roots cos the colour fades before.

If its semi-permanant the colour will fade because thats what it is designed to do, although it shouldn`t be rapid...It should last 3 months at least.

How is the colour now, has it faded at all?

If it does fade and your not happy you can always go back to the salon and give them what for.

Hope that helps
Jo

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

Re: Jo new
      #260432 - 04/27/06 01:41 PM
Vicam

Thanks Jo...the color is still doing well but it's only been two washes...I think the true test will be tomorrow (Which will be a whole week) when I finally watch it again.

Ok, this is going to seem like it's coming completely out of left field, but given your age and the fact that your from Manchester I just *have* to ask - Take That fan by any chance? If you're not please don't hate me for asking...I know you're probably being bombarded with stuff about them in the press right now

Here you go! new
      #260478 - 04/27/06 06:21 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Based on the advice of my colorist/hair stylist who does amazing work (I have followed her from 3 salons to now the one she co-owns with her mother). She has taken the time to work with me in learning the tips to do my own hair to look just like I left the salon. She doesn't charge me any extra since she figures I better know what I am doing or she isn't doing her job. So here is what I have learned and use based on her recommendations and success at home.

I usually wash my hair hair the night before and blow it out. To reduce the friz that happens, I sleep on a really high thread count pillowcase (or a silk one). Then it looks like I had my hair done that morning or the night before. I use to wash it every night, but usually it is every other night.

So here is the routine I use and the products:

1. Nioxin Cleanser for color treated hair/ mixed with John Freida for Reds for the shampoo (I have thin hair and helps to thicken it up) twice a week otherwise just the John Frieda shampoo alone. The John Frieda for reds seems to be the best out there to help it last. I use then the Rusk Sensories Calm Guarana and Ginger 60 Second Hair Revive conditioner.

OR

2. Rusk Sensories Pure Mandarin and Jasmine Vibrant Color Shampoo and the John Frieda for Reds conditioner mixed with Nioxin Scalp Therapy once a week.

I usually wash and rinse with warm water. Hot water seems to destroy the color and the cold water seems to leave buildup. I use a towel to gentle squeeze water out of my hair. Spray it with the Rusk Sensories Healthy Treatment leave in spray for about 4-6 pumps over the hair and I then add Redken Color Extend Color Veil which I massage that into my hair and then use a wide tooth comb to comb it through. I will let it air dry for a bit 5-10 minutes (or completely on the weekends)

If I am going to blow it out I then add Redken Satinwear 02 ultimate blow-dry lotion and 3-6 pumps of Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide to my hair and then dry with an ionized hairdryer on medium heat. I run my fingers through the hair as I dry- flipped over to add volume and from above to straighten and add shine. I use a paddle brush when it is about 75% dry. I add 2-3 drops of Rusk Design Series Sheer Brilliance Polish and then switch to high heat with blasts of cold while using a round brush to curl the ends in and out in chunks around the bottom.

The whole thing takes me about 10 minutes in the shower to wash/condition and then about 10-15 minutes to blow out. Then I head to bed and sleep. Get up in the morning and brush it out and flip it over and brush again to add more volume for about 5 minutes additional work. I seem to spend more time on doing my makeup and getting dressed than all the time spent doing my hair. Turns out great every time which makes me happy! It seems like there is a lot of product used but really it is small amounts. Fortunately it doesn't wear my hair down, keeps it really healthy since I don't have a lot a split or dry ends (even getting it cut every 8-10 weeks). Plus my hair is always that salon softness which I absolutely adore...just wish I got the head massage like at the salon every time.

To purchase everything outright the first time it would have been expensive, but my hairdresser was great about providing me with the small sample bottles to try it out and learn how to use it. So definitely ask! As I found things that worked I just kept with them and took her advice on what to try different. Then knowing what worked and I liked I started purchasing it. I have been with the same products the last 6 months. I am only on my second bottles of the John Frieda Shampoo and Conditioner. I am still the initial bottles of the Nioxin Cleanser and Scalp Therapy; Rusk Shampoo and Conditioner, Healthy Treatment and Sheer Brilliance Polish and all the Redken products. Definitely a little goes along way. This is my third time going back to reddish-brown... usually blonde but love the darker look now.

I will ask my colorist which color dye line she is using because the last three colors have lasted forever. I had it done the second week March and will probably go to mid May before I get back in...I can't even see the grow out but know it has since my bangs are much longer. Always nice to not be able to see the roots!

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me questions.

-Michelle

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 501 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3741

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review