All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
going to a tattoo/piercing place
      #259755 - 04/23/06 12:11 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

OK, I just found out that if I want my belly button pierced then I've got to go to a tattoo parlor. I know that these days the shops aren't necessarily skeevy wastelands where greasy sleazy guys stand around picking their teeth with needles ... but it still kinda freaks me out. Any tips on how to pick a place that won't give me an infection?? I haven't done any looking around yet, but the only places I can think of off the top of my head are in dicey parts of town. Should you avoid a tattoo place if you can score crack within thirty yards?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: going to a tattoo/piercing place new
      #259762 - 04/23/06 01:47 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Most tattoo shops are very sterile and not to be feared. Just make sure that they are using new needles and they should sanitize the area the piercing is going and they should also be wearing gloves. They'll explain to you what they're doing and tell you how to sit. A good rule of thumb is to go by word of mouth. You want to see how someone's work has turned out before you let them stick it to ya (so to speak). Relax, it'll be fine. And you see people selling crack outside, I'd avoid the place.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: going to a tattoo/piercing place new
      #259770 - 04/23/06 04:07 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm not sure about where you live but here tattoo parlours are required to pass certain health and safety regulations for which they are given a "certificate" showing that they've passed that they must display for potential customers.

I would research the place before getting anything done and just make sure it's got a good reputation. Also a lot of piercers/tattoo artists have a portfolio that they can show to customers so that you can see their previous work.

Good luck!!

Kimm! new
      #259784 - 04/23/06 06:37 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

It's so nice to see you on the boards! Stick around, okay!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Kimm! new
      #259861 - 04/24/06 11:12 AM
Kimm

Thanks!! It's nice to be around again....

I just took mine out! new
      #259907 - 04/24/06 02:01 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I'm almost 25 (bday is this summer), and I got my belly button pierced right when I turned 18. Well ... that was a good 20 pounds and 7 years ago, and I finally decided it wasn't right anymore. I'm supposed to be some big serious lawyer. My new bf has a love-hate relationship with my belly ring (thinks it's hot but somewhat juvenile and trashy), and I'm just kind of bored with it. I'd been contemplating taking it out for a while, then today in the shower it just looked ridiculous to me so I took it out, kind of randomly. It's fun to see my bare belly again. Now I just have to get it back into shape!

Anyway good luck with yours. I would ask around, see where your friends have gotten it done. You can always ask them for their license and stuff like that. Let me warn you -- when I had it done, it really hurt like crazy, so much that I wouldn't have gotten it done if I'd known it would hurt that much. It was also infected on and off for the first year. Other people have told me that it barely hurt at all and that they'd never had problems, so I guess it's kind of a crapshoot. Let us know how it turns out!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

doesn't every girl need to be a little trashy? new
      #260242 - 04/26/06 03:09 PM
jen1013

even if she is a big serious lawyer? I never intentionally show my belly button in public, so it'd be just something between hubby and me anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts! I'm kinda worried about the pain/infection side of it, so that might be what makes me chicken out. It's been years since I've known anyone with a belly button piercing, so I have no idea how to find out who's good around here.

So is this the new boyfriend that your brother snared for you? How is that going?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: doesn't every girl need to be a little trashy? new
      #260256 - 04/26/06 03:57 PM
Kimm

I've had my belly button and my nipple pierced.

I still have my belly button piercing in.

I think it's all a matter of how you view piercings and tattoos. Some people view them as a "phase" young people go through and others (myself included) view them as beautiful decorations for the body (therefore you can never be "too old" and they don't look "trashy").

I think the North American view of piercings and tattoos is generally a negative one....although that is changing. If you look at how these things are viewed in other cultures around the world it's pretty interesting.

I guess my point is....you're never too old and they will never look trashy as long as you're comfortable.

(and a belly button piercing really isn't any more painful than piercing your ear in my opinion).

Edited by Kimm (04/26/06 03:58 PM)

#260261 - 04/26/06 04:22 PM
jen1013

OUCH!!! The thought of anything sharp going near my nipples makes me break out in hives.

I meant no offense with using "trashy" ... I am using it affectionately here. It's like "slutty shoes". I don't believe I'm a slut 'cause I'm wearing sexy shoes, but somehow it just sounds more interesting to be wearing "slutty shoes". Or maybe my sense of linguistics is morally bankrupt. Whatever. Anyway, I didn't mean to imply that piercings/tattoos were trashy -- I don't think that at all.

I am really curious about everyone's belly button piercings ... does anyone want to post pics of hers? a navel is socially acceptable for public viewing, right?

--------------------
jen

I had mine done twice and juuust recently took it out. new
      #260271 - 04/26/06 04:49 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I do miss hoopie, and didn't consider it a phase thing. I just have gained so much weight since I first had it donw, that I don't feel like my flabby belly deserves one anymore, you know? If I ever get around to losing like 40 pounds, I'm definitely getting it back. I did love it.

I had infections all the time with my first one, so took it out. the first one barely hurt at all, but it was uncomfortable on pants, that were higher up at that time. My second one was really painful because they went through scar tissue, but it never acted up on me till about 4 months ago. That's when I waved bye bye. I've been pierced since the late nineties.

And two earrings, that's it. I really liked nose rings. DH hated them so I am glad I never got one. DH had his tongue pierced when we met. Mr. Yuppie with the tongue ring, lol.

Ah but he was hot. He also had 2 earrings. Now we've plugged all those holes too, and bought a Chrysler 300. Yikes, gettin' older.....

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Nipple Rings new
      #260275 - 04/26/06 05:17 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hey Kimm,

If this isn't too personal, did you notice that your nipples got WAY stretched out when you got your nipples pierced? My boyfriend has both of his pierced and I'm amazed at how stretched out they look as a result. On one side, it almost looks like he's got 3 regular-sized nipples squished together. I love his nipple piercings (and his tongue one!), but was just wondering if it's normal? Thanks!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Nipple Rings new
      #260281 - 04/26/06 05:39 PM
Kimm

I had my nipple ring for 7 years and my nipple didn't look stretched out at all. As soon as I took it out the hole closed up in a matter of a week and you can't even tell now that I had it pierced.

I've seen many nipple piercings and they all looked normal....my ex boyfriend had one of his pierced as well and it wasn't stretched out or anything....just looks like a nipple with a piece of jewelry in it!!!

Re: Nipple Rings new
      #260293 - 04/26/06 06:56 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hmm.. that's wierd. Maybe I should ask the beau about it? I always assumed it was normal! Thanks, Kimm!

--------------------
- Jennifer

infections.. new
      #260317 - 04/26/06 09:45 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I think thats one thing to be careful about.. a lot of girls get really bad infections due to belly button piercings and it just ends up looking red inflammed and pussing which is not exactly the sexy look most are going for.

I lucked out and mine has always been fine, and i've never had an infection, redness or pussing.. and I've had it for at least 7 years now. However, almost all of my friends have theirs pierced and about 50% of them had major problems, pain and infection with theirs. Most of them grin and beared it bc BB piercings were cool when I was in college.

I guess you'll never know until you try it.. I don't think there is any way to really know how bad the risk is until you get it done.

Also, mine didn't hurt too bad.. I thought it felt more like a yellow jacket sting at most.

--------------------

#260339 - 04/27/06 07:00 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Haha yup, this is the one my brother nabbed for me. Kind of funny -- we have been pretty serious since the first date. It's been 2 months now and neither of us ever even considered whether or not we were seeing other people. It was just like BOOM, relationship. He's just good and kind and smart, and good-looking. Goes to church, loves his family ... what else do I need? So yeah, things are good. We'll see where it goes!

Good luck with the piercing!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

I agree, Kimm! new
      #260340 - 04/27/06 07:10 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

It;s nice to see you around again!

Small peice of advice... new
      #260364 - 04/27/06 08:15 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I didn't read what everyone else said so I may be repeating, but if you can, try to find a place where someone you know has gone. I have a tattoo, and I went where my friend got hers, and had no problem. Also, you can probably check health licenses and stuff like that with whoever deals with that in your town/state. I think most places these days, especially if they have been around for a while, are pretty sanitary. And if you go and it doesn't feel right...leave!

You are brave to get a belly ring! I never wanted to draw attention to that part of me, except for maybe one week when I went to Miami Beach with friends, and had worked out like a demon before the trip. I think that was my peak, and it's been downhill ever since, ha ha.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 372 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1598

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review