All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Anyone have fake nails?
      #257813 - 04/12/06 09:49 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I've never had them before but do like the way they look. I'm debating whether or not I should get them for the wedding. My only doubt is that I've heard they require maintenace and can damage your own nails.

Any input, good or bad? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone have fake nails? new
      #257814 - 04/12/06 09:54 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I used to get tips. The longer they are on your nails the more damage they will do. I had them for about 2 years and decided to stop - it took my nails about another year to firm up and get healthy again.

That being said - if I could afford it, I would go back to getting them done again! I loved them! I say go for it! If you don't want to keep up with them, you can always remove them after the wedding. That shouldn't cause tooo much damage. If you decided to keep them, you would need to go back about every two weeks for a fill - where they fill in the gap caused by your nails growing.

I would also recommend getting them done at a salon or spa, rather than at a walk-in place at the mall. Most of the walk-in places use a grinder and that WILL DEFINITELY damage your nails. They may be cheaper, but there is greater risk of infection and long term nail damage.

HTH

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#257816 - 04/12/06 09:57 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Michelle. I love the way they look (if they're not too long) but it's the damage I'm afraid of.

Could I take them off myself a week or so after the wedding (well, after the honeymoon)? In NYC there's a nail salon on almost evert block so I have lots of choice. LOL!

#257817 - 04/12/06 09:59 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I had them put on ONCE for my wedding and they were awful! About 2 weeks after the wedding, I cut them shorter because I was moving. Several of them got riped off and really hurt and they did damage my nails under them even though I had them on for less than 3 weeks. I guess maybe if you decide to keep up with it, they might be ok but its too high maitance for me and my nails get damaged at work anyways!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#257820 - 04/12/06 10:01 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

You can take them off yourself. You'll just need to soak them (and I mean SOAK them) in an acetone-based nail polish remover (they usually tell you to use non-acetone remover when you have tips because it will make them unglue!). You will have to soak for a long time! Then you should be able to scrape them off using a cuticle stick or something similar. It's the acrylic overlay that you will be scraping - not the actual tip. The tip itself should pop right off after soaking.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#257822 - 04/12/06 10:06 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I tried to take mine off myself and it hurt and made a big mess! If I ever choose to have them put on again, I'd definitely let a professional take them off as well.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#257825 - 04/12/06 10:19 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I have acrylic nails...and have had them for about 10 years now. I have them all removed and a new full set put on every 6 months. BUT, the real nails are very weak and thin all alone..... but they are clean and I have never had an infection..... I have them filled and taken care of every 3 weeks.

I WOULD NOT put them on if it is just going to be temp because of the damage they can do.....it will take you some time for them to "thicken" back up and look nice again....but nothing that a few manicures could not fix....if you really have your heart set on them.

If you see someone in your everyday life that has them and they look nice, ask them where they get them done.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#257833 - 04/12/06 10:48 AM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

i had them once but i also had a hard time, it was fine til i wanted them off, and i tried taking them off on my own.. i loved them though, its just when u want them removed, i'd recommend u go to a salon or somewhere to have it done.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

I got talked into them for the wedding.. new
      #257840 - 04/12/06 10:56 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

HUGE mistake, BUT! I have nice nails without them.. long, strong, and they took 6 months to regrow without the damage... not worth it for me.. I also don't love the look so would never have had them done permanently... if you like the looka nd don't have strong nails, go for it!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: I got talked into them for the wedding.. new
      #257871 - 04/12/06 01:16 PM
Sara-Sage

6 months???? NO WAY!

Thanks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 138 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3758

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review