All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
need some support
      #257741 - 04/12/06 05:59 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

So last night I had one of the worst IBS attacks of my life. I was just miserable...with the cramps, D, nausea, etc... And today I am still feeling crummy. I was so stable and doing so well... I ate nothing strange, and did not have any high levels of stress..this just came out of the blue, and I am feeling pretty down about it all. I just need to hear that this too will pass and I will get stable again, but it's so hard to believe now... blech... I guess I shall try to get some sleep. Thanks for listening folks!

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I wonder... new
      #257756 - 04/12/06 07:11 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

if it wasn't a bug or a touch of food poisoning. I had the same thing Monday night...I have been stable but used to be a "C" (constipated...compacted...confounded...any other "C" word that would apply ).

I had a tummy ache and had to "go"...had another tummy ache and "went" again...was mid-conversation with my husband and started having "contractions" and had a major "explosion" (thank goodness the bathroom was nearby!). Not sure if it is IBS or food poisoning.

For those of you with "D", if this is what it is like for you on a daily basis, I am so sorry. I just can't imagine...though I would likely be thinner than I am now!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: I wonder... new
      #257828 - 04/12/06 10:20 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I get "out of the blue" attacks as well. Its very frustrating but yes, it too shall pass! Hugs, hope you are feeling better today!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

update... new
      #257866 - 04/12/06 12:44 PM
Aly

Still really cramping up today. This is a bit different from what I am used to. I have severe cramps but am not going at all today...any advice as to something that can help? I took a bath and am drinking my peppermint tea. Still, these cramps without BMs certainly are hurting:( Thanks for listening!

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: update... new
      #257867 - 04/12/06 12:59 PM
michele

Have you tried the heating pad? Maybe some tylenol? My tummy gets serious cramps not related to having bm's as well and I find its usually a wait it out kind of thing. Maybe try some gas-x and stretches to be sure your not having gas bubbles trapped! Do you have any anti spasms meds on hand, like Bentyl or Donnatol?

--------------------

#257916 - 04/12/06 03:23 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I agree with Rachel. Are you sure it isn't a bug? I was up about every 20 minutes the other night with D, and that is NOT my IBS! I have had a fever, cough, and the whole thing, so I figure that was just another part of my illness.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#257935 - 04/12/06 04:48 PM
Aly

Yeah, I have a heating pad on now and took some levsin. I finally gave in and paged the doc. He thinks I could be a bit constipated even though I had some D yesterday... I now have tons of rumbling but so far...no BMs. The levsin is helping I think, but wow--this is horrible. I'm just so glad there are people out there that can understand the pain and frustration. My wonderful boyfriend even held my hand in the bathroom for awhile! haha/..now thats love!

--------------------
IBS-A

updated update... new
      #257961 - 04/12/06 10:22 PM
Aly

so its 1am and my belly is STILL cramping, no sleep...and this is going on 3 days now. I think I'm going to call my doc in the AM. Has this happened to anyone?:
A day of stomach cramps and lots of BMs
Never fully finishing
Continuing cramps getting more severe over time
big waves of loud gurgles (which usually means things are on their way out!)...
followeed by nothing but pain.
any ideas??
This sucks!!!

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: updated update... new
      #257962 - 04/12/06 11:35 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

What are your BMs like? I know, TMI, but if they're sticky or greasy looking or chunky or have a foul order, it could be an infection due to a parasite, like giardia. Still, just from on the gurgles and severity of the attack I would say it's probably a GI viral or bacterial infection. Ugh. You poor thing!

I'm glad that you're calling your doctor in the morning. It does sound more like an infection than an IBS attack.

I'm sorry you're up so late and in pain. So I guess nothing you've tried has made you feel better?

#257985 - 04/13/06 06:19 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

It sounds a lot like what my attacks used to be. If it was a food poisoning type thing then you'd probably be having a lot more D that would just clean you out. You should go to the doctor to make sure everything is ok, since this isn't something you've gone through before. Keep drinking tons of peppermint tea in the meantime. What foods and/or meds have you tried to feel better?

Hope you get some relief soon!
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#257993 - 04/13/06 06:59 AM
Aly

I've had 2 levsin...and can hardly eat. I just called my doc and he is in procedures all morning, but will call this PM. I am a bit worried... this is so strange. My attacks usually get everything out. This is just hurting me. I feel horrible! I really hope that the doc has some ideas... the one last ngiht asked me to try a suppository in case something was constipated, but it only stayed in 5 min b/c of the cramps... so I am out of luck. I am just so miserable and my boyfriend is at work...isn't it tough trying to deal with a horrible IBS attack alone? It has been 3 days of this...and I don't feel strong enough to deal with it anymore, ya know? I did manage to eat half of a bagel this morning, so that's good... but wow this is horrific! here;s hoping for some answers!

--------------------
IBS-A

#257995 - 04/13/06 07:37 AM
michele

I know the pain and cramping you are talking about and it sucks! I've never actually figured out what causes it. Sometimes, I'll take Zelnorm for a week or so when I get these bad pain attacks and it will usually help. It sometimes give me D but I figure I probably needed a good cleaning out anyways! Maybe ask your dr about it when he calls back. Hope you feel better!

--------------------

Re: need some support new
      #258068 - 04/13/06 02:32 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I'm sorry you are having such a terrible attack.

I wonder if it could be trapped gas. Have you tried taking a Phazyme or Gas X? What about pulling your knees up to your chest to try and get it out?

Hopefully your doctor will come up with something to give you some relief.

Barbie

--------------------

you are not going to believe this......... new
      #258153 - 04/14/06 06:14 AM
Aly

Ok. so listen to my evening. My GI doc finally called me back-- he said to stick to a bland diet and that if it didn't help, I had to go through my family doc (WHY???). I don't understand that. I was in SO MUCH PAIN! So that didn;t help. SO I called my family doc ...who is new to me and doesn't know hardly anything about my IBS. He said there wasn't much he could do, and the nurse said I would be better off going to the ER. So...off we went. Got there, waited FOREVER. Finalyl got blood taken, my potassium was low and needed a pill for that. Got 2 rounds of pain meds (which helped beyond belief)..got an x-ray, which showed no impactions or anything. And then the doc came in. I was still in lots of pain and worried...here are hit direct words. "We think the pain might be due to your IBS, you can leave now"......... I just lost it. I was so sicck of everyone treating me like my IBS was fake, and that this pain--which is TOTALLY different from what I usually get-- wasn't that bad. Thank goodness for a very sweet nurse, but I just cried and cried...finally the doc, who wouldn't look me in the eye, and was very short and curt with me, said he'd do a rectal exam if I wasn't happy with what he said. He did that and said, yep- you're all good. So no answers... I am feeling ok today, i think the pain meds certainly helped...but seriously. I felt so little and so unimportant. I had severe pain and they acted like I could just suck it up...doesn't having IBS and trying to get doctors to understand everything just SUCK?
Well, I am a bit better this morning, so hopefully I can eat a bit and relax...oh, and they were reluctant to give me a work excuse for 2 days. They said 1 was ok, and then the nurse just whispered "don't worry, I'll get it sweetie"... but oh my. what a night.

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: you are not going to believe this......... new
      #258163 - 04/14/06 07:31 AM
michele

I know how frustrating it is, stupid dr's!!! Lets seem them go through this pain and say everything is fine!! I finally found a dr a couple of years ago who listens and believes me when I say I'm in MAJOR pain, she gives me Vicodin and sometimes if I take enough of it at the beginning of a pain attack, it'll help it go away faster!! Lots of love and Hugs!!

--------------------

Michele new
      #258165 - 04/14/06 07:35 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How did you find a good doctor? Just luck? Is she a PCP or a GI doc?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Michele new
      #258169 - 04/14/06 08:02 AM
michele

Just Luck! She is my PCP!! I saw a lot of unsympathetic and crappy docs before I finally found her!!

--------------------

You just picked her name off your insurance listing of names?-nt new
      #258172 - 04/14/06 08:04 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: You just picked her name off your insurance listing of names?-nt new
      #258174 - 04/14/06 08:07 AM
michele

Nope, I can see any doc I want with my insurance. I actually saw a rheumy doc about 4 years ago when I suspected something else was wrong with me but that rheumy doc said there wasn't anything else, turns out she was wrong! But, she was nice and I asked her for a list of PCP's that she recommended and this doc was on the list. Its funny because at first I wasn't sure if I was going to like her, she has an Middle Eastern name and I have a hard time understanding people with accents but she speaks english perfectly and she has turned out to be the best doc I've ever seen! Most of the GI docs I've seen act too busy to deal with someone who JUST has IBS!!

--------------------

Re: You just picked her name off your insurance listing of names?-nt new
      #258182 - 04/14/06 09:05 AM
Augie

Quote:

Most of the GI docs I've seen act too busy to deal with someone who JUST has IBS!!

Absolutely agree with you!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 532 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1667

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review