All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Does anyone know anything about car troubles and prayers and good thoughts please..
      #257295 - 04/09/06 07:53 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

A few days ago, a light came on in my car indicating that I had a fault in my automatic gearbox. I took it to the dealer to have it checked out (I drive a volvo, its relatively old). They said that it may have been caused by the selnoid valve (sp?) and that they fixed it. They also told me that I should monitor my car, because I may need a new transmission. I asked how will I know if I need a new transmission and the lady said, truthfully, you won't. your car will just die. LOVELY!

Well my car is a 93 (70,000 miles) so I certainly will not be buying a new transmission for it. However, I don't even know what a transmission does... Does anyone know if there are any signs as to when a transmission is going to fail.

Anyways, afterwards I called my parents, and they said yeah we know that. we've been told to monitor your transmission for the last few years (but they never told me that.. haha probably cause they know i'm a worry wart to the max!).

Anyways, I was driving it today and the shifting seemed to be a little off. I think that this is what a transmission controls, and it seemed like it was a bit more sluggish when shifting.. often going up to four before finally going down on the shifting dial. It usually doesn't do this.. or at least I haven't noticed.

I dunno if i'm just being the worrier that I am, and becoming extra sensitive to it, or if I have a real problem here. My fear is that my car is going to just drop dead on the highway (which would NOT be a good situation!!) I honestly think that it may be a real problem, or it may be that i'm just paying too much attention and worrying about it too much.

Any ideas or info would be appreciated.. also prayers and good thoughts that my car makes it through the summer would be appreciated! I cannot afford a new one right now, but I also need to have a car because I have to drive to work and to my internship. ahh please.. good thoughts.. its stressing me out, and this is the worst possible time for this to be happening. I'm so scared I'm gonna break down on my way to work tomorrow.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yup, that's the transmission all right new
      #257301 - 04/09/06 10:03 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

The transmission controls the shifting of the gears. My parents had a car with transmission issues. Truthfully, it might keep running like that for quite some time. Theirs certainly did!

Also, maybe 70,000 is a lot of miles for a Volvo, but that's really not that many! In terms of miles, that's like a six- or seven-year-old car. It might well be worth putting in an overhauled transmission. (Maybe this is a common Volvo problem. My friend's mom had one about the same year that also had transmission issues.)

Try not to worry about it prematurely, but definitely get AAA if you don't have it already!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: Does anyone know anything about car troubles and prayers and good thoughts please.. new
      #257334 - 04/10/06 07:29 AM
DanielsDad

Reged: 03/31/04

Typically, when an automatic transmission starts going bad, you'll notice the gears, usually the higher ones like 3rd or 4th "slipping". in other words, the engine will rev up really fast without noticing any increase in speed. When this happens, you can bet that it won't be long before it stops working altogether.

Really though, 70,000 miles is not that much on a transmission... unless you live in a mountainous (sp?) area.

The best action to take in the case of a bad transmission, at least with my experience, is to get the transmission rebuilt after it finally dies. It may cost around $1000 bucks, but you practically get a brand new transmission that'll be good for at least another 70K or so miles.

Hope this little bit of advise is helpful.

Re: Does anyone know anything about car troubles and prayers and good thoughts please.. new
      #257409 - 04/10/06 01:43 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks for the info..

I still don't know how to tell if its slipping.

I did notice today though it was fine on the highway, and when I got off the highway and stopped at the first light it started acting screwy and seemed to be shaking a bit. I'm not sure if this is due to the transmission

How safe is it to keep driving for awhile.. also, is it worth putting another transmission in a car thats a 1993?

--------------------

Re: Yup, that's the transmission all right new
      #257411 - 04/10/06 01:49 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks christine. I'm really worried about it. its always been a little troublesome when shifting, which is how we bought it used with so little miles (i've had it for three years, and we got it with about 40,000 miles on it). The previous owners were scared to drive it because its always had minor transmission issues.

Regardless, it only just started acting out a bit worse in the past few days (since leaving the shop with it )

I drove it into work today (on the highway) and it was ok.. the shifting was a little slow, however, its never been perfect. On the way home it was fine too on the highway, however, after getting off the highway and stopping at the first light it started shaking a little bit, when it was stopped, it started sputtering and acting like i've never seen it act before. I was scared it was going to die.

I'm considering triple A. I talked to my parents about it, and they didn't advise it bc they said they are usually slow and use crappy tow truck services. They said i'm better off waiting to see if anything goes wrong with it and then calling my own tow truck.. however, i'm also a worrier, so i'm not sure if I want to wait for something to go wrong without peace of mind. The only problem is that i'm a poor grad student, and don't have a ton of cash to even pay for triple A, a new transmission, a new car or a tow truck in the first place. boo.. its stressing me out!

--------------------

anyone have a VW jetta??? new
      #257443 - 04/10/06 04:14 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

well.. me and my mom just got off the phone with the volvo people and they basically said that my car is a goner.

I'm gonna get a second opinion tomorrow at aamco, but we've been looking tonight at cars just incase I need to get one asap. we found a volkswagon jetta (2003) for 16,000 with 8,000 miles on it. we're thinking we can get him to go down a bit, and I'll get the cost of my car traded in. However, I don't know much about jettas or VWs.. i.e. are they worth it.. are they safe and reliable.

This is the absolute worst time for this to be happening bc I have ZERO dollars, however, VW has a student deal where students dont' have to pay until they secure a job.. thats the only reason we are considering it. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this..

--------------------

Not that this will be much help... new
      #257469 - 04/10/06 06:21 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

but here's my two cents...

Well, I admit I know nothing about Volvos or VWs, but I have a '97 Pontiac Sunfire with over 100,000 miles on it. I've had it since 1999, and I can think of only two or three times that it's needed costly repairs. Two of those were worn out brakes at the same time as other repairs. Once it needed a new water pump and in January, it needed a new horn. It's been really good to me, considering it's almost always been left outside in midwestern winters since 1999 and has been with me through living in 3 states.

Wait. I don't remember the specifics AT ALL, but I seem to remember reading that some people had lots of problems with Jettas at some point, but that may have been back in the '90s.

Re: anyone have a VW jetta??? new
      #257502 - 04/10/06 09:51 PM
ChristineM

We have had several VWs in our (German) family over the years, including a couple of Jettas. They are decent cars. If you live in a warm climate, they do have a tendency to overheat more easily. They're good, though, and 8,000 miles is basically a new car.

If you're going for reliability, I personally think a Honda or Toyota is the way to go, but any car with 8,000 miles should be great.

Good luck!

--------------------
Christine

#257509 - 04/11/06 03:24 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I would stay away from the Jetta. I had a friend who had a Jetta (he bought it used with about 9,000 miles on it)and he has had nothing but problems since. In fact, he had to replace the engine on it. Go with a Honda or Toyota, you can't go wrong with them.

--------------------

#257519 - 04/11/06 05:30 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

I am gonna go look at the jettas today and just see how they drive etc. I do want a car thats reliable, but I also want a car thats safe, and it has really good ratings.

I've been looking about all cars on the web, and there aren't many with good ratings all around, which is annoying! (at least that I can afford!) But my dad said people are way more likely to complain on the web, than say that something is good.

I definitly don't want to be taking the car to the shop all the time, so I'm def going to ask about that. thanks for your opinions!

--------------------

#257521 - 04/11/06 05:31 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

oh plus the two jettas that we found are certified vechiles with two more years of warranty on them.. does that make them any better, or still not worth the headache?

--------------------

#257525 - 04/11/06 06:02 AM
DanielsDad

Quote:

thanks for the info..

I still don't know how to tell if its slipping.

I did notice today though it was fine on the highway, and when I got off the highway and stopped at the first light it started acting screwy and seemed to be shaking a bit. I'm not sure if this is due to the transmission

How safe is it to keep driving for awhile.. also, is it worth putting another transmission in a car thats a 1993?

"Shaking" doesn't necessarily mean a bad transmission.

Worst case... it could be a sign that the torque converter (which is the part that connects the engine to the transmission) might be going bad.

Best case... the engine just needs a tune up.

Granted, I don't know any of the quirks of your car, but if you are feeling uncomfortable with it, then maybe you should consider trading it. Once you lose confidence in your car, it becomes a burden to drive it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

My vote is a Toyota Corolla! That's what I had, very reliable! -nt- new
      #257527 - 04/11/06 06:22 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

#257531 - 04/11/06 07:08 AM
TommyNY

That definitely helps because if somehting goes wrong you are covered. So yes, it does help.

--------------------

#257544 - 04/11/06 07:53 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I worked with a guy who had an 01 Jetta (bought brand-new) and he wasn't too happy with it. Although it didn't have any huge problems (i.e. replacing engine/transmission), it had a ton of lesser problems. (The kind that "only" cost $300 to fix.)

One problem with the less mainstream foreign cars (VW, Audi, Volvo, etc.) is that you almost always have to take them to the dealer for service (I don't know what it's like where you live, but dealerships here are WAY more expensive than the average mechanic). Even if you get lucky like me and marry a guy who can fix cars, the parts themselves are also a lot more expensive. This might not bother you, particularly since you already have a Volvo and are probably used to this.

Like other posters, I would highly recommend either a Honda or a Toyota. They're very high-quality foreign cars but are common enough that you can get them serviced anywhere you want. I have a 1997 Honda Civic and I love it. I know lots of people with Hondas and Toyotas and I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about them.

Is it just the transmission on the Volvo that's a goner? Or are there engine problems? If it's just the transmission and the car only has 70k miles, I'd personally just get the transmission replaced/rebuilt. Volvos are supposed to be great cars. You rarely see them for sale around here unless they've got over 150k miles.

Oh, and you mentioned a warranty in another post -- be careful and read the fine print, because a lot of warranties are pretty useless.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#257573 - 04/11/06 10:52 AM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05

I have a 97 honda civic that my dad got me when I turned 16. It has 180,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. We have only had to do minor things like brakes, starter, tires, etc. Nothing to major and she is still going strong. That are fairly inexpensive and the most dependable car in my mind. You could always get a 2000 or something and it should last you through the rest of your internship and then some. Good Luck~ let us know what you decide.

#257610 - 04/11/06 02:17 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks for the info.. most volvos do last forever, but mine is already a 1993, and its mostly the transmission thats shot, but there are also little problems that i've lived with such as a gas tank that doesn't always open, a sun roof that doesn't always close, a heater that doesn't always work, the AC which rarely works, and a windshield wiper fluid holder that leaks. I love my volvo, but there are a few little problems that doens't make me want to invest so much in the older car because a new tranny for it would be about 3,000 bucks according to the dealer.. PLUS its already had three transmissions in it since it was originally made in 1993. I think my car just happens to eat transmissions up and spit them out dead. When we bought the car used three years ago it had a BRAND NEW transimission and already there are problems with it again.. and thats why the previous owners gave it up.

--------------------

well I now own a 2003 VW JETTA! new
      #257612 - 04/11/06 02:28 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

I ended up buying the car today! I am pretty excited about it (although so not excited for the car payments I really can't afford at the moment). I was just too nervous about driving my old car that was on the verge of breaking.. not having trust in your car can really pull a number on you when it comes down to trying to sleep at night or contemplating a trip to the store.

I test drove the jetta for about half an hour and I like the way it drives. I was considering a toyota and a honda, however, I like the bells and whistles that my car comes with, and I also like the double five star safety rating and the fact that I got a great deal on it considering it only has 8,000 miles on it and is a 2003 (the previous owner flew home every weekend and only drove it on weekends- and decided it wasn't worth the money).

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with it, and its actually a certified vehicle for the next two and a half years, and not just two as I thought it was. HOpefully by then, i'll have enough money to trade it in and get something even better.

Anyways, the one I ended up with is a 2003 silver jetta GLS with the 1.8 engine which is a pretty nice one. The mileage is good.. I will miss my old volvo though a little, and I hope I made the right decision to trade it in and get a new one. The repairs just weren't worth the headache, because there aren't too many 1993 volvos still left on the road.

Now the downfall of it all is that i've gotta work my butt off this summer to make some real money before my internship starts. Thank the lord I got a paid internship, but I can't use all that towards my car, I still need to find a apartment rental and survive for a year. I will be selling this condo soon and will hopefully make a few grand off of that to help out the situation.

As much as I love my new car, I'd love it more if I didn't have to buy a new one at all and could have just kept my old volvo for a few years.

Another downside is that i'm registering the car in VA bc thats where my parents live and i'm moving down there in the area in the fall (however, luckily i'm flying home this thursday for easter, and can change the registratin then and pick up my new car on tuesday of next week when I return). Until then I'm stuck with the $hitbox car on its last leg. PLEASE cross your fingers that it makes it to the dealer next tuesday when I pick up my new car, and drop that hunk of junk with them!

--------------------

Re: well I now own a 2003 VW JETTA! new
      #257636 - 04/11/06 03:37 PM
ChristineM

Congrats on your new car! It sounds like you got a great deal!

--------------------
Christine

Re: well I now own a 2003 VW JETTA! new
      #257637 - 04/11/06 03:39 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Congratulations! It sounds like you did your research and got a great car!

I'm hoping your Volvo makes it until next week. I commute, so any major car trouble freaks me out.

Good Luck Ashley! nt new
      #257651 - 04/11/06 05:16 PM
TommyNY

--------------------

Thanks Tommy! I hope it was worth it! -nt- new
      #257664 - 04/11/06 06:15 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

--------------------

thanks maria maria.... new
      #257665 - 04/11/06 06:22 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks maria maria!
I definitly did my research!
I didn't test drive any other cars, beacuse there werent' a lot of cars in my price range (and this one is a little high but the low mileage and certified status made it worth it)

I looked online and it has double five star safety ratings, great gas mileage, (6) airbags.. who knows why you'd need that many but ok.. and it drove well when I took it out for a drive. I'm excited to pick it up... but i'll be so nervous driving it at first.. I dont' want any scratches or dents because its in perfect condition both inside and outside the car (ie interior and exterior)

As for the commute, I think i'm going to try to use my car AS LITTLE as possible for the next week. I'm probably going to skip my internship tomorrow bc its 20 mins there and back highway driving, I'm gonna drive about a mile to my waitressing job tomorrow night and take the train the rest of the way.. get a ride to class on thursday and take the train to the airport on thursday night.

The only time i'll need to really drive it far again is on Tuesday to pick up the new car. Although i'm wondering if it will get worse just sitting there in the lot.. hmm anyone know if it will? should I try to drive it a little bit?

--------------------

thanks christine! I hope so! -nt- new
      #257666 - 04/11/06 06:22 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

--------------------

Re: Oh you'll love it Ashley! new
      #257671 - 04/11/06 06:40 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I have a 2003 Passat and I thank the Lord everyday that I got rid of my Durango SUV to get it. I get like 22 miles to the gallon and with gas prices what they are these days I only need to fill up once a week!

My lease is up next April and I'm not sure what I wanna do. I kinda wanna stay with a small car for the gas mileage. I intended on a Black Audi A4, HOWEVER, my son just got braces that cost $6400.00 so I tease him and tell him that my Audi is in his mouth!!! The payments we must make on his braces are what I was gonna use to get my Audi! OH well, somday I'll get it!!!

Good luck with it. Let me know how you like it!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

I'm late on this but everyone I know who's had one loved it - congrats! nt new
      #257676 - 04/11/06 06:49 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Oh you'll love it Ashley! new
      #257696 - 04/11/06 08:24 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks! I hope I like it too! the jetta actually gets 31 miles to the gallon, so that will be a great help!

As for the Audis..they are nice as well.. the dealer I went to was actually a VW/AUDI dealer.. unfortunately I can't afford the later!

--------------------

oooh thats nice to hear! thanks michele! -nt- new
      #257697 - 04/11/06 08:24 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

--------------------

to all the smart car people who responded.. please help! i'm freaking out!! new
      #257958 - 04/12/06 09:53 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

well... like I said I can't get my new car until early next week. buuuut i'm kinda tweaking out being stuck with the old one.

I ended up skipping my internship today so that I wouldn't have to drive, however, I did have to drive a little bit to my waitressing job. I ended up driving from my house to the T station which is about 2 miles away. On the way there the flashing arrow indicating another automatic gearbox fault came back on and my car started driving so weeeird!!

then on my way home, I turned on my car and it wouldn't reverse. I shut if off and restarted it and was able to get it to go into reverse! thank god. I'm just freaking out because I need these people to still give me my money for my trade when I bring the car in and now there is a light on. What can I do.. will they still accept it?

Basically my fear is that I have to drive it to the dealer about half an hour away either next tuesday or wed to pick up my car, and it seems to be getting worse and worse each time I drive it. Will I be safe to get there.. how long can you drive on a crappy transmission. I'm basically beyond nervous about getting there next week and thats ruining my exciting "I got a new car feeling!"

Any help, ideas or encouragement would be appreciated!

--------------------

Re: to all the smart car people who responded.. please help! i'm freaking out!! new
      #257976 - 04/13/06 05:50 AM
DanielsDad

It sounds like your car might have leaked some transmission fluid. There is a dipstick where you can check the level. Usually you have to have the car running and in "Park" to get an accurate reading.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3374

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review