All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: anyone have a VW jetta??? new
      #257521 - 04/11/06 05:31 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

oh plus the two jettas that we found are certified vechiles with two more years of warranty on them.. does that make them any better, or still not worth the headache?

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone know anything about car troubles and prayers and good thoughts please.. new
      #257525 - 04/11/06 06:02 AM
DanielsDad

Reged: 03/31/04

Quote:

thanks for the info..

I still don't know how to tell if its slipping.

I did notice today though it was fine on the highway, and when I got off the highway and stopped at the first light it started acting screwy and seemed to be shaking a bit. I'm not sure if this is due to the transmission

How safe is it to keep driving for awhile.. also, is it worth putting another transmission in a car thats a 1993?

"Shaking" doesn't necessarily mean a bad transmission.

Worst case... it could be a sign that the torque converter (which is the part that connects the engine to the transmission) might be going bad.

Best case... the engine just needs a tune up.

Granted, I don't know any of the quirks of your car, but if you are feeling uncomfortable with it, then maybe you should consider trading it. Once you lose confidence in your car, it becomes a burden to drive it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

My vote is a Toyota Corolla! That's what I had, very reliable! -nt- new
      #257527 - 04/11/06 06:22 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

#257531 - 04/11/06 07:08 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

That definitely helps because if somehting goes wrong you are covered. So yes, it does help.

--------------------

#257544 - 04/11/06 07:53 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I worked with a guy who had an 01 Jetta (bought brand-new) and he wasn't too happy with it. Although it didn't have any huge problems (i.e. replacing engine/transmission), it had a ton of lesser problems. (The kind that "only" cost $300 to fix.)

One problem with the less mainstream foreign cars (VW, Audi, Volvo, etc.) is that you almost always have to take them to the dealer for service (I don't know what it's like where you live, but dealerships here are WAY more expensive than the average mechanic). Even if you get lucky like me and marry a guy who can fix cars, the parts themselves are also a lot more expensive. This might not bother you, particularly since you already have a Volvo and are probably used to this.

Like other posters, I would highly recommend either a Honda or a Toyota. They're very high-quality foreign cars but are common enough that you can get them serviced anywhere you want. I have a 1997 Honda Civic and I love it. I know lots of people with Hondas and Toyotas and I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about them.

Is it just the transmission on the Volvo that's a goner? Or are there engine problems? If it's just the transmission and the car only has 70k miles, I'd personally just get the transmission replaced/rebuilt. Volvos are supposed to be great cars. You rarely see them for sale around here unless they've got over 150k miles.

Oh, and you mentioned a warranty in another post -- be careful and read the fine print, because a lot of warranties are pretty useless.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Does anyone know anything about car troubles and prayers and good thoughts please.. new
      #257573 - 04/11/06 10:52 AM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05

I have a 97 honda civic that my dad got me when I turned 16. It has 180,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. We have only had to do minor things like brakes, starter, tires, etc. Nothing to major and she is still going strong. That are fairly inexpensive and the most dependable car in my mind. You could always get a 2000 or something and it should last you through the rest of your internship and then some. Good Luck~ let us know what you decide.

#257610 - 04/11/06 02:17 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks for the info.. most volvos do last forever, but mine is already a 1993, and its mostly the transmission thats shot, but there are also little problems that i've lived with such as a gas tank that doesn't always open, a sun roof that doesn't always close, a heater that doesn't always work, the AC which rarely works, and a windshield wiper fluid holder that leaks. I love my volvo, but there are a few little problems that doens't make me want to invest so much in the older car because a new tranny for it would be about 3,000 bucks according to the dealer.. PLUS its already had three transmissions in it since it was originally made in 1993. I think my car just happens to eat transmissions up and spit them out dead. When we bought the car used three years ago it had a BRAND NEW transimission and already there are problems with it again.. and thats why the previous owners gave it up.

--------------------

well I now own a 2003 VW JETTA! new
      #257612 - 04/11/06 02:28 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

I ended up buying the car today! I am pretty excited about it (although so not excited for the car payments I really can't afford at the moment). I was just too nervous about driving my old car that was on the verge of breaking.. not having trust in your car can really pull a number on you when it comes down to trying to sleep at night or contemplating a trip to the store.

I test drove the jetta for about half an hour and I like the way it drives. I was considering a toyota and a honda, however, I like the bells and whistles that my car comes with, and I also like the double five star safety rating and the fact that I got a great deal on it considering it only has 8,000 miles on it and is a 2003 (the previous owner flew home every weekend and only drove it on weekends- and decided it wasn't worth the money).

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with it, and its actually a certified vehicle for the next two and a half years, and not just two as I thought it was. HOpefully by then, i'll have enough money to trade it in and get something even better.

Anyways, the one I ended up with is a 2003 silver jetta GLS with the 1.8 engine which is a pretty nice one. The mileage is good.. I will miss my old volvo though a little, and I hope I made the right decision to trade it in and get a new one. The repairs just weren't worth the headache, because there aren't too many 1993 volvos still left on the road.

Now the downfall of it all is that i've gotta work my butt off this summer to make some real money before my internship starts. Thank the lord I got a paid internship, but I can't use all that towards my car, I still need to find a apartment rental and survive for a year. I will be selling this condo soon and will hopefully make a few grand off of that to help out the situation.

As much as I love my new car, I'd love it more if I didn't have to buy a new one at all and could have just kept my old volvo for a few years.

Another downside is that i'm registering the car in VA bc thats where my parents live and i'm moving down there in the area in the fall (however, luckily i'm flying home this thursday for easter, and can change the registratin then and pick up my new car on tuesday of next week when I return). Until then I'm stuck with the $hitbox car on its last leg. PLEASE cross your fingers that it makes it to the dealer next tuesday when I pick up my new car, and drop that hunk of junk with them!

--------------------

Re: well I now own a 2003 VW JETTA! new
      #257636 - 04/11/06 03:37 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Congrats on your new car! It sounds like you got a great deal!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: well I now own a 2003 VW JETTA! new
      #257637 - 04/11/06 03:39 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Congratulations! It sounds like you did your research and got a great car!

I'm hoping your Volvo makes it until next week. I commute, so any major car trouble freaks me out.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3456

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review