All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
WARNING to parents...-please reply, I need encouragement badly.
      #257135 - 04/08/06 01:18 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I have had one hell of a weekend so far!! Please take heed from what has happened to my family.

I got a call at school on my cell yesterday that I had to get home NOW because my mother in law was accused, by the police and chid services, of neglecting Kayleigh yesterday. She had her in a turned-off, locked car 10 feet away for 8 minutes-and was watching her the entire time....well some nosey Nelly thought my child was ABANDONED and called the cops, who called children's services and they all bawled my poor, incredible, innocent MIL out. We have not cried that many tears since my wedding day.

My mother in law watches my daughter when I'm working and DH is working, and she's far more loving and careful than any daycare, let alone ME! So we all rallied around her, and thankfully, everything turned out fine.

But Trevor piped up to the cops and told them he'd left Kay in the car many times for a few minutes, so they had to report THAT to children's services.....garbage. So we're waiting for a call about that. Yes, we're a bunch of negligent (for 5 minutes) abusive(never been spanked) caregivers. We don't drink around kayleigh, are all non-smokers, never ever do drugs, I take her to church, I'm a special education teacher for God's sake....it's so ABSURD that anyone would even think this crap of our family...

If she'd been left there for a long time, or if the car was running, or if it was hot, or cold, or she had an animal in there with her, etc...etc, it may have been dangerous. but how on earth am I to ever do anything with her in the car now, knowing that some "well meaning person" would TIME ME and report that I'd left her IN SIGHT for 8 minutes.?
Wah!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by Shannon :) (04/08/06 02:00 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: WARNING to parents...-please reply, I need encouragement badly. new
      #257147 - 04/08/06 02:25 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

oh you poor thing! that is absolutely ridiculous! You are a fabulous parent, and I'm sure your mother in law is just as great.

People are so uptight nowadays! my parents used to leave us in the car when they ran into the supermarket without even being watched. They just said lock the doors, i'll be back in a few minutes. Nothing every happened and they were fabulous parents. It saved them having to go in with us begging for everything in sight. Times have definitly changed, and I'm not sure that its a good thing. Leaving a kid in a car for a few minutes is not a sign of an abusive parent. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Are they reporting both you guys and your mother in law to social services?

--------------------

My mother's reaction: new
      #257152 - 04/08/06 03:30 PM
_Willow

I always took you in with me.(what a lie. She'd leave us for 2 hours alone in the house at night when i was nine)
Oh my God, Relax! You're fine, she yelled.(don't tell me I'm overreacting to this, it could have meant my mother in law in prison , or mu hubby for that matter. Thanks for the support.)

Anyhow, yes it's been reported to Childrens services for both the action and the comment. Childrens services is to contacct us and bawl us out for our habitual supposed neglect.

Sigh, I am still shaking 24 hours later.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

happened to a friend new
      #257153 - 04/08/06 03:45 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

My friend and her husband had gotten out of the car to go into a store. Their son had been a whining brat (believe me .. the kid was awful) for thirty miles. When his father got him out of the car he tried to get away. His father held his hand and swatted him on the rear. Mind you ... he was wearing a diaper and a snow suit, but some busy body reported them. Being that I used to baby sit him during the day, I had to answer questions about them to DSS. Basically I said it was about time he got some discipline. (The kid ruled his parents) His nursery school teacher told the guy the same thing.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: My mother's reaction: new
      #257155 - 04/08/06 03:55 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

CPS (at least in California) is the most unhelpful bunch of people in existencce, in my opinion. I have known of cases where they should have been there because there was real abuse and neglect and they've brushed it off as nothing. But then they give a hard time to people who haven't acutally done anything wrong. When I was maybe 6 or so, my mother and I left my brother (then 13ish) alone with my sister for the day while we went to check on things at home. My dad was working out of state so we were living with him but drove home every now and again to see how things were. The drive both ways and the check on the house could be done in a matter of hours. When we got back my sister and brother were gone because someone called CPS saying that my mom abandoned them and they came and took my brother and sister. Fortunately, my mom got them back pretty quickly. My brother had been feeding and bathing and dressing and changing diapers for us from when I was just months old. He was 7 when he started taking care of us. Not that my mom wasn't there, he just wanted to. He said that we were his babies and so he would take care of us on weekend mornings and my mom would get to catch up on sleep. Of course, the woman who called CPS didn't know that even at 13, he was perfectly capable of taking care of us. But everything came out okay. And it will for you, too. It'll probably be a pain in the patoot but they'll see that you're all good parents.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Of course that would be your mother's reaction! new
      #257165 - 04/08/06 05:34 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

That would be my mom's too! Mind you what she would do when we were little was go over to the neighbors house which was sometimes a row away(we lived in townhomes)call our phone number, my dad would pick up the phone, leave it near our rooms so they could periodically listen to us if we got up in the middle of the night! Can you imagine. It was I guess in place of what we use baby monitors now for. We must have been like 5years old and my sister was 3!

If my MIL watched our kids I think my mom might have been jealous and maybe that's why your mom's reaction was that way. Is she jealous that she's not watching her?

I don't know if you remember or not that parent in some state that was video taped by some kind of survailence device beating and punching the crap out of her child while he/she was in a car seat in a parking lot of some store? Now that's abuse in my book and THAT needs to be reported.

I'll never forget the time I smacked my youngest on the behind cause he was acting up so bad in a Home Depot and after I did it I thought OMG if this is on tape, someone is gonna report me. I was a wreck thinking about it. People are so unreal sometimes. I believe in a spanking and if I want to spank my child in public for misbehaving then I should be able to without reprocussions!

I can say though that I honestly did not start leaving my kids in the car alone while I paid for gas or whatever until recently. They are 11 and 8 now. My husband was real funny about it so we NEVER left them in the car alone. I then never attempted it for fear that God forbid they were ever taken, I'd never hear the end of it from him

Can I ask though why she didn't just take her in?

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Answering your 2 questions: new
      #257180 - 04/08/06 11:08 PM
_Willow

First of all, my mom is jealous of my mother in law for every reason you can imagine. She's married, she's happy, she gives kayleigh attention several times a week, she's not working, she's this and that, she and I have a far better relationship. She probably was mad that it happened to MIL and not to her because it takes attention away form my mother, that's my mom. She's disgustingly self absorbed. She thinks I'm a drama queen, and I know I can be dramatic, but always at the right times. My mom is just a stone. She has no emotion about anything that isn't directly related to proving how "great" she is. She doesn't get revved up about anything I say, unless it has to do with making HER look good/bad/special.

Anyhow, I won't go there, because I've been through therapy to get to the point I'm at of saying OH WELL, THAT'S HER AND I AM NOT CHAINED TO HER-she can't control me.

Second question-MIL left Kayleigh in the car because she thought she'd be far less than 8 minutes, and she has a low car, is incredibly clumsy at getting the carseat snapped in+out, and she has a bad back and puts it out on a weekly basis....so thought it'd be faster. She double checked with Kayleigh that kayleigh would be emotionally OK, and locked the doors to keep her safely inside. At a bank where there'd be security everywhere. It was the first time she had EVER done that, and I promise you the last time she or I ever will.:(

I admit, I do occasionally feel like I have to leave Kay in the car- when I'm getting groceries into the house and she's fast asleep, or when I have to haul something in and she's fast asleep, or if I need to get Tums at the store and nobody's there in line and she's fast asleep...etc...

I try to use very good judgment, but sometimes I have GOT TO do this, because Trevor works nights and weekends and we have to usually parent alone! We are barely capable of doing anything as a family most days.That's another very big reason we only have ONE child right now-it's just plain safer! I don't know how single parents without sitters survive!!

As far as getting gas goes, I either gas up when she's not with me or I use debit on the pump. But hey, I have to take the garbage to the curb when we're together alone, and I have to warm up the car in the mornings when it's frigid cold before taking her to MIL's sometimes...and jeepers, I have IBS and she can't sit in the bathroom with me....you know? We could split hairs till there's nothing left, but the thing is you just cannot watch them 100% of the time, unless youre a millionaire with 2 nannies or something. I do my best as a parent.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by Shannon :) (04/08/06 11:17 PM)

The thing is...I have kayleigh alone new
      #257183 - 04/09/06 12:12 AM
_Willow

DH has Kayleigh alone,

MIL has Kayleigh alone.

If there's 2 of us, or if we'd not be able to see her, of COURSE we'd take her with us!!

But if we go in for a sec, the car is locked, she can't get at the wheel, the windows are up, she's in her car seat, and we can see her the whole time, we know if she's in danger!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I'm so sorry this happened to you guys! new
      #257185 - 04/09/06 04:19 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

It is one of my worst fears that someone will misunderstand something I do as a parent and report us to SS, especially with so much true abuse out there... but to be honest, I have to also say that knowing all this, I have decided to never leave the kids alone in a parking lot. It is terribly inconvenient but think of the alternatives? A situation like you are in now, or worse. I am always alone with them too and it is not easy, was even LESS easy when they were smaller, so I do understand! I'm not saying I've never done it, I'm saying I've had to make a decision NOT to do it.

I'm sooooooooooooo thankful for pay at the pump gas stations, drive thru pharmacies, and in emergencies when they are sick or something, even order-online-pick-up-at-the-curb groceries!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Well, I've certainly learned my lesson new
      #257218 - 04/09/06 09:39 AM
_Willow

and will never leave her alone again.

The thing that floors me is I bring her to the bank and pwople look at me like I'm a freak because she's acting like a kid and talking at the bank. Ohh noo, the child is interrupting my silence. Never weould I feel that way about a child!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8041

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review