Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Canadians...EI Help/Advice?
      #257013 - 04/07/06 05:52 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I could really use some help. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had to go on EI and if so, if they could help me out with it. 3 weeks ago my fiance was laid-off from his job...it was supposed to be temporary for just a few days but they have not called him back to work.

He's been searching like mad for a new job, gone on about 4 interviews (and has three more next week) but no offers so far The problem is, we can maybe get by one more week and then we are going to run into serious troubles. So he figured he'd apply for EI while he was looking for something else...because that's what it's there for. But he was told he couldn't apply without his Record of Employment. He was working for a temp. agency and the agency is not sending out his ROE. It's pathetic, he keeps calling and inquiring and just being given the run-around. He was supposed to have it by the end of this week ... but no show. I know if you don't apply within the first four weeks you become ineligible...so does anyone know if you can apply without it?

Thanks (and keep your fingers crossed for us...he has an interview tomorrow morning)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Canadians...EI Help/Advice? new
      #257018 - 04/07/06 06:10 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I haven't been on EI but maybe you can call the labour board and get some information on how to get the ROE from the Temp agency.

Edited by Gracie (04/07/06 06:11 PM)

Meanwhile... new
      #257136 - 04/08/06 01:24 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I know, I went through this crap last summer, waiting for an ROE from a schoolboard that was shut dowen for the summer. What a nightmare.

call them and tell them you have requested the ROE, and however many times. Tell them who you'v talked to and their number/address. they legally MUST give it to you.

That should help. Don't put it off, because there's a 2 week period you don't get pay anyhow, it'll cost you a lot of cash if you don't act fast.

PS- keep track of where and who he's applying to, they will ask. They treated me like lazy scum because I wasn't working over the summer-I am a substitute teacher! What else do I do???

I'll NEVER go on EI again, except to ahve a baby.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#257138 - 04/08/06 01:30 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I don't think you can apply without the ROE. How long was he working at the temp place? I think you have to be there a certain time period to be eligible as well.

How about welfare? I'm serious too. Just until he finds something? When I was waiting for my EI to kick in the worker there told me it would take some weeks and put me on welfare for a month so I could pay rent, etc. This was in Ottawa. Not sure if this is standard though. The worker and I really hit it off and she knew that I had a Social Service Worker degree so maybe she felt badlly for me?? I'd look into this option. It would only be temporary. No stigma necessary.

Ha, tina new
      #257142 - 04/08/06 01:55 PM
_Willow

they certainly didn't do that for me! Whoa, they made me feel like trash. I wish someone would ahve used some kindness. but I guess they thought since my husband has a full time job he should be able to pay that extra $1000 in bills that month. Stupid. It came off my visa. can you tell I'm not very fond of EI right now? They made me feel like a liar and a scammer, and I idnd't get my first cheque till the end of August. This summer I would even get a job at McDonald's to avoid that.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Kelly new
      #257144 - 04/08/06 01:58 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I think your fiance need to be a bit more firm with this temp agency. If need be, have him go down there and demand the ROE. All I know, is that in the states I pay a lot of taxes and I don't think there is ANY stigma to applying for unemployment. You pay for it and when you need it, you should go get it. So no stigma at all. Have him go down there and play some hardball with those people.

--------------------

Re: Ha, tina new
      #257169 - 04/08/06 06:34 PM
Sara-Sage

Once I was on EI it was horrible. I don't know if it's still like this now but I had to send in proof that I was looking for work every week with addresses and phone numbers of places I applied. Within no time at all, I got super sick of doing that so I took a part-time job at a vegetarian restuarant until I found something better.

I think I'll go to new
      #257182 - 04/08/06 11:26 PM
_Willow

Starbucks and be a barista for the summer. i'd rather eat my vomit than go on EI again.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: I think I'll go to new
      #257197 - 04/09/06 07:56 AM
Sara-Sage

Shannon, do you get any pay while you're off in the summer? It doesn't seem right that you should be broke because the school is CLOSED.

#257313 - 04/10/06 04:49 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

I had trouble with getting an ROE before, but I spoke with a person at Human Resources and they contacted the employer for me which sped things up a bit...also, there is normally a 3-4 week wait for your first check...

#258167 - 04/14/06 07:54 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

As an employer, there is an obligation to provide an ROE to an employee after 2 weeks without work. They must provide it within 5 days of the end of the two week mark for casual employees. I do this stuff for a living. If your honey hasn't got his ROE in that time period, I suggest he reports back to HRDC, and if necessary get the Min of Labour involved. I've been served papers from the Min, and it wasn't my fault - the guy moved, no forwarding address and said I didn't issue his final paperwork!! Good Luck!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 669 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1698

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review