All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
How do you get your dog to walk on a leash?
      #256027 - 04/03/06 06:22 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

We took her to puppy training when she was about 6 months old. And it didn't work! And she is getting WORSE as she gets older. No treat nor toy appeals when she is out of the house...she just won't listen. We've even used a gentle leader with no success Any ideas? PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE...I'm the walker in the family and I'm depserate! Thanks everyone *hugs*

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

What does she do while on the gentle leader? new
      #256033 - 04/03/06 06:32 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

That is what we use, or else Samwise tries to drag me down the street... but he is getting better and does especially well while on the leader.

Hmmmmmm...

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: What does she do while on the gentle leader? new
      #256036 - 04/03/06 06:36 PM
Snow for Sarala

She STILL PULLS!!! Can you believe it? Sometimes she paws at her face and even gets it to come off. She's a naughty dog There has to be some way to get to her to trot like a lady Any thoughts? Thanks for responding Michelle *hugs* (And yes...sometimes she DOES pull me down the street *sigh*)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Have you tried the harness? new
      #256044 - 04/03/06 06:46 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

I put Chloe in a full body harness that goes over her head and around her middle with two thick straps connecting the neck and midsection belts. The leash then connects to the midsection. Chloe (all 11 pounds of her) tried to take the lead but with the harness it is easier to keep her under control, except for a squirrel spotting which she hasn't every grown out of.

I know that we kept her on a short leash for what seemed like ages to keep her with us. I kept telling her "such a good doggie" "good Chloe" and when she started acting up, I turned right around and went home. She finally realized to get to go further she had to behave.

What type of dog do you have? I know the puppy stage takes forever to grow out, but be patient during the training because they have such big loving hearts.

-Michelle

Re: Have you tried the harness? new
      #256046 - 04/03/06 06:50 PM
Snow for Sarala

No I haven't! Are these expensive? Maybe I'll go buy one TONIGHT LOL I have a 2 and a half year old lab and shepherd mix. She's a BIG girl for a LITTLE me LOL Maybe a shorter training session would help? Right now I take her on a 20 minute walk. I use her to help keep me feeling safe on my walks...but maybe slow and steady will win this race? I hadn't thought of that. Is the harness like a muzzle...I'm having a hard time picturing this? Thanks for the ideas!!! It's really super to see you around again!

*hugs*

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Have you tried the harness? new
      #256050 - 04/03/06 07:00 PM
Sailing Away

I think the one I got for Chloe was about $10-$15 from Petco. It is made out of webbed nylon material. I have had the same one now for about 5 years.

Thanks...its great to be back here with everyone. I have missed everyone and kept you all in my prayers.

-Michelle

Here's a web link for what it looks like new
      #256052 - 04/03/06 07:02 PM
Sailing Away

Dog harness

Wasn't too badly priced...and I was about right on the cost. Yeah memory bank!!!

-Michelle

What kind of dog is Chloe...she's beautiful? n-t new
      #256053 - 04/03/06 07:02 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Here's a web link for what it looks like new
      #256054 - 04/03/06 07:05 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Michelle!!! I'm def going to consider this! As well as a shorter training session. Thanks again *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: What kind of dog is Chloe...she's beautiful? n-t new
      #256058 - 04/03/06 07:09 PM
Sailing Away

Thanks I let her know! She's curled up on my feet right now keeping them warm.

She's a Bichon Frise/Yorkie mix. She has a big huge mane going on right now since we are letting her stay long to keep warm. She gets her summer cut in two weeks. Hope it's warm or sweater time again. She has super soft fur that feels more like human hair than fur.

-Michelle

#256059 - 04/03/06 07:10 PM
Sailing Away

Any time! Let me know how the walks go. *hugs*

Re: What kind of dog is Chloe...she's beautiful? n-t new
      #256060 - 04/03/06 07:13 PM
Snow for Sarala

A yorkie and a bischon sounds like a GREAT combo!!! WOW! TOO CUTE! Def let her know she's a BEAUTY!

You'll have to post a pic when she gets her new do! (And we'd love one of you too....but I can't talk cause I don't have mine up yet)

*hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I will! *smiles* n-t new
      #256061 - 04/03/06 07:13 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

One day it just happened new
      #256067 - 04/03/06 07:36 PM

Unregistered

I remember trying to walk her and it ended up just meaning that I'd drage her down the sidewalk which just seemed mean so I'd just give it up and try again later. I know there's some thing that you should always walk them on your left side. Bianca loves chasing things and she loved empty water bottles for some reason, so one day tied one to a string and my brother ran in front pulling it behind him and she started running on the leash right after it. Then I didn't try again for awhile (she's only 6 pounds so she never needs to go outside if I don't want her to) but the next time I took her out she just started walking right along like it was something we'd always done. And now of course she just loves it.

So essentially you see have no real advice for you, other than perhaps to keep trying and hopefully your dog will get the hint. Good luck to both of you!!

Re: One day it just happened new
      #256069 - 04/03/06 07:39 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for the great story...super cute! What kind of dog is Bianca...a Yorkie seems to come to mind? Water bottles...I think all dogs love em but yours sounds like it has an unusual liking for them...LOL Very funny!!! Thanks for sharing Britt!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

We already have a harness! LOL so if you have more ideas... new
      #256072 - 04/03/06 07:50 PM
Snow for Sarala

Hubby just explained that we already have one (it's black) and we don't use ti cause it makes her pull harder....

Sorry about that Michelle...having you go to all that trouble for nothing!!

Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks everyone *hugs*

Love,

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#256074 - 04/03/06 08:00 PM
ecmmbm

I think most of all you need to become the boss - get some kind of viciously authoritative growly voice going on and MEAN IT.. and let her have it if she so much as attempts to paw the thing off. The harness is okay but I dont' think it will work so much on her pulling - the leader is specifically for the purpose of bringing them under your submission, if that makes sense. There should ALWAYS be slack in the leash, she should not be pulling at ALL. You have to be the "alpha" - her "boss leader dog". My advice is to use the leader you have - if she pulls, yank it hard, give her that growly "no", and stop walking. Tell her to sit. Then start again when she complies. It will be a pain in the butt for a long while, requiring a lot of consistence and patience and determination with not much actual distance walking going on, but will pay off in the end once she's compliant. Kind of like raising kids!! LOL!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Yep a yorkie - good memory! -nt- new
      #256075 - 04/03/06 08:01 PM

Unregistered

#256078 - 04/03/06 08:21 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

we use that too with our dalmation.. I works like a charm!

--------------------

#256085 - 04/03/06 09:54 PM
Snow for Sarala

Well, I already do all of this...but perhaps my "growly" voice isn't stern enough and the slack on the leash isn't much....i guess I need to be trained to firm up Anyone here give lessons on this? Perhaps I'm not saying my "nos" mean enough? I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes...thanks Michelle *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#256088 - 04/04/06 01:11 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Don't yank the gentle leader!!!

Can you try the treat option instead. Walk along with treats in your hand nearest her and let her have one when she walks to heel.

Another trick is to stop and ignore her or walk backwards when she pulls. She'ss soon learn that this leads to a very boring walk.

How much exercise does she have - it may be that she is just too full off beans and needs a good off lead run. Don't expect too much on the way out, but try to get her to walk properly on the way home.

Getting her to listen to you by making her sit at curbs etc (then treating) could also help.

Best of luck!

Amount of exercise new
      #256089 - 04/04/06 01:15 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

For a lab GSDX I would give around 1 - 2 hours of exercise a day including lots of off-lead running and games with toys.

If she is only getting 20mins on lead she is bound to pull - she is just over energised and over excited.

Also, what food do you give her? Some foods with additives and colourings can make dogs more hyper.

Good luck - do you have any pic, she sounds beautiful!

OH well maybe that was bad advice but it sure worked new
      #256104 - 04/04/06 05:50 AM
ecmmbm

...as did sticking the poop under his nose when he did his business in the house, then swatting him on the tip of his nose and shoving him out the door with it (wasn't supposed to do that either but it sure worked!) And he loves me just as much as ever!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Do they breed for this type of dog? new
      #256115 - 04/04/06 06:59 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Or did she just "come out" this way? She's adorable!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: How do you get your dog to walk on a leash? new
      #256117 - 04/04/06 07:02 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

This is a tough one. You do have to be in control. I have had dogs in the past that would grab the leash or pull. I always kept the leash short and spoke in a firm voice until they calmed down. She will get it eventually, labs and shepards are smart dogs. I have heard from dog trainers that you have to speak in a calm firm voice but not sound frantic. If you sound frantic then the dog senses that and won't listen. It is also a good idea to have her stop and sit at corners and wait for you to go. This gets her used to you being in charge.

I am lucky now that my dog,a yellow lab, will walk without a leash and stay right by me. We got her when she was 8 months old and already leash trained but them we trained her to walk with us without a leash. I don't do this if we are in an area with traffic. Only on quiet streets but in Spain we could walk her just about anywhere without a leash.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Janey

#256168 - 04/04/06 10:16 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Having just finished doggie class, I can help! First of all, I agree, she needs to be on a harness more than just a collar! Start by putting her leash on INSIDE the house and let her drag it around. Then, work on having her come when called with the leash on. Then, work on picking the leash up and walking her around the house. If she pulls, just stop. If you continue to put pressure on the leash, she will fight it. If she is being a stinker and not listening, stop, grab her harness close by her body while standing next to her and make her sit. Rub her ears or wherever if you have to to try and calm her down. Keep the leash short and remember not to keep tension on it, it'll only make her fight you more.

I had a hard time at first with Harley. I would put the leash on him and he would make like a carpet! Flat on the floor on his belly and wouldn't budge! I started making him wear the collar around the house and office and just let him drag it and slowly worked at it and I don't have any problems now!

The instructors suggested a low, loud growl sound. Imagine a cross between clearing your throat and growling. Apparently when they are puppies and they misbehave, this is how there mom's get there attention and correct them! It does work if you can get the sound right. Harley will get really excited sometimes and likes to nip at my nose and if I make this sound, he will stop in his tracks!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#256177 - 04/04/06 10:38 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I've had dogs all my life while growing up. My parent's dog is a black lab mix is soooo strong. I find that the only way she listened to me was to show her who is boss! Once I did that, she repected me and was way better when I took her for walks.

I used to walk the yellow lab that we had at work (it was a seeing eye dog in-training). He was the most hyper dog ever and like my parent's dog, I had to keep him on a VERY short leash and keep working at it. Within only 2-3 walks, he listned perfectly to me. I think it's because I told him who was boss. Oh how I miss him....

Some ideas for you new
      #256195 - 04/04/06 11:44 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Sarala,

I agree with what lots of other people have said, but thought I would just add a couple of things because Adrian is trying to get our dog Ranger to be the perfect walker, so has tried all kinds of tricks that seem to be working pretty well.
I also agree that most stuff probably won't work all that well if she is only getting a little bit of exercise each day. A lab/shepherd cross is a pretty big girl and she probably needs loads of exercise.

Here are a few ideas, though..
1) While you are walking, and the dog starts to pull just slow down and if she keeps pulling ahead stop completely. Pat your side and call her back and make her sit down or just stand beside (ideally just slightly behind) you. Start using the word "heel" too so when she is where you want her (standing still), you can say, "Good heel". When you start walking again, do the same thing until she starts to get that you won't go anywhere unless she is beside you. It does make walks take A LONG TIME. You have to be really patient. Sometimes when we are out together and Adrian is doing that, I am like, "C'mon, let's just walk!" but it is working so now I keep quiet.

2) Similar to the last one, when our first dog was trained (at a women's prison, hee hee), they would walk forward and if the dog would pull, you turn around and walk the other direction.. you keep them on quite a short lease so they are made to turn around too. I think it is basically the same principle as the other one.
3) Pat your side or something that also tells her to heel, and do that consistently so she knows. Our dog now, for example, will be trotting around in the bushes and Adrian says, "Ranger" and pats his thigh and he comes and heels right beside him and walks along like that off-leash! It's pretty cool.
Apparently, these work well as "positive reinforcement" because it is rewarding the dog with the forward motion when he/she is doing it correctly.

I would try these things and use the halties or gentle leaders (I have never tried them, but so many people swear by them) at first so it is easier on you. I also reward with little treats, or letting him off leash to chase the ball or whatever.
It will also be easier on you if there is a place you can take her where she can have a good run and tire herself out a little bit.

Good luck!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: We already have a harness! LOL so if you have more ideas... new
      #256332 - 04/04/06 05:58 PM
Sailing Away

Not a problem. In talking with my fiance he said that Chloe pulled also but that was why we kept her on such a short leash next to us that she couldn't pull to much.

How about a treat hanging in front...kind of like in the old cartoons? Course that really might really get the tugging going.

-Michelle

She was an accident but... new
      #256334 - 04/04/06 06:10 PM
Sailing Away

there are quite a few breeders who now have the bichon/yorkie mix. The bichon is mixed in so people with allergies can have a dog since the bichon has hypoallergenic fur.

Her mom was a bichon who fell in love with a little yorkie who was determined to be with her. Some how he managed to sneak out of his kennel across the room and get to her. So much for pure breed champion mom with now a undesirable litter. We got her for about $50.

Now they are designer dogs that people are going after because you get the best out of both breeds. Plus they have great little personalities, even when she acts like a diva...course she probably learned that from me. I am including the link for one of the local breeders. About midway down the page under the Gallery of Puppies Sold there is two photos of a little golden blonde side-by-side. That is what Chloe has always looked like. She's a bit longer right now. I will definitely post before and after shots from her day at the salon.

-Michelle

Photos we can do! new
      #256336 - 04/04/06 06:12 PM
Sailing Away

I will post some after the salon appointment of the two of us. Course she is the more photogenic one of the family.

I will give her a snuggle for you.

-Michelle

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 611 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5206

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review