All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bean Soup, Safe?
      #25539 - 11/04/03 07:12 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

I was wondering if anyone knew if bean soup, like Campbell's, is IBS safe? I love it and am wondering if the gas caused by the beans might be too much, and also if you eat it on a regular basis, maybe the gas subsides????????

--------------------
Natalie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bean Soup, Safe? new
      #25613 - 11/05/03 10:23 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Personally I like beans, but for many people it cause gas and bloating. I made a pot of Chilli yesterday and did fine with it. Without Nexium I can't anything with tomatoes and I make sure I have a good soluble base food item before eating beans. Typically that means a fiber supplement, bread or a banana.
Hope this helps and my suggestion is to repost your question on the IBS diet board. You will get more responses, because not everybody checks the Living Room.

#25680 - 11/05/03 02:27 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

Its a pretty individual thing, even within the IBS circle, I think. Try Beano before eating it - that helps some, I think. I love many bean based things, but don't do well with them unless I take Beano - and even then its iffy.

#25696 - 11/05/03 04:48 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I have been eating A LOT of beans lately! I have been wanting to incorporate them more into my diet, because I miss them, so I went out and bought some Beano a couple of weeks ago. The Beano does work really well - still a little gassy, but no where near as bad as without it.

Well, last weekend, beans were on sale at my grocery store for 2 cans for $1. I was thrilled about this, because I had for coupons for $0.50 of 2 cans and my store doubles coupons. So, basically I got 8 free cans of beans! LOL When I came home, I proudly displayed them on the counter for my fiance and excitedly told him the great news. He just shook his head and walked away. I guess he's not as into beans or coupons as I am!

Sorry, kinda got of subject there.... My point is, Beano helps, and the more you eat beans, the better you'll be able to digest the raffinose, the sugar in beans that causes the gas.

Now, I don't know the other ingredients in Campbell's bean soup, so I don't know if there's another trigger in there. You could also make your own soup - would that be an option for you? I know Heather has a black bean soup recipe.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 686

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review