All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: I have lupus! new
      #254493 - 03/25/06 09:57 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Maria,

I am sorry that you have lupus, but I am so glad that you've found out what is going on and that your doctor has already got a plan that he/she thinks will really help you.

I don't know anything about lupus, but I really hope that you end up feeling better for the medication and everything and my thoughts will you be with.

Good luck,
**hugs**
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I have lupus! new
      #254526 - 03/26/06 07:46 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Maria,

I was given the same diagnosis. Some days i feel like #@&%, but other days I feel OK. Mostly i don't think about it too much because there are just so many other things pressing - kids. I take Aleve as needed and I get by. My doctor told me that his wife tested positive for lupus and RA, same as me (and you too, i guess). A year later she tested negative for both and no longer has problems. I know it's just one person's story, but it gives me hope. Like you, I have had strange symptoms for at least 10 years before seeing a rheumatologist. It just comes over me off and on, but I figure that if I was going to be truly debilitated by this, it would have happened by now. I sincerely hope you find relief with the plaquenil. Let us know how it goes.

Laura

Re: I have lupus. new
      #254608 - 03/26/06 05:35 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Maria-

I am glad that you finally got some answers. I know that Lupus is not something anyone wants to hear they have but when I did some researching on it when they were testing me I found out that it is very managable and you can live a pretty normal life with it. Not only that there are some great medicaitons out there to help with it. *hugs and prayers* for you my friend. You have always been such a strong and positive person that I know you will handle this well.

#254716 - 03/27/06 09:55 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm sorry about the diagnoses but at least now you can start treatment and hopefully feel better soon! I started placquenil just over 3 months ago. I started on 200mg a day for one month than increased to 400mg a day. The first 2-3 days on it and when they increased it, I felt funny. It didn't really effect tummy too much, it just made me jittery and I couldn't concentrate and I just felt wrong! It wasn't too bad and only lasted a couple of days.

The eye test they are going to do is a dozy though! Bring sunglasses because you will be dilated and your vision will be blurry and light sensitive for a few hours. They will also do a visual field test in a big machine with red lights, this caused a reaction in me and I passed out, thats not the norm though!! There is a certain ratio they use, so many milligrams of placuqneil for your weight. As long as they keep it under this particular ratio, which I can't remember this second, its very unlikely to damage your eyes but you will need thorough eye exams once a year.

I hope you start feeling better soon! Hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Thanks, Michele! new
      #254720 - 03/27/06 10:01 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm also starting on 200 mg/ day and then after a month increasing it to 400 mg (200 twice a day). I currently weight only 110-112 lbs, so the rheumy said he'd like to see me gain some more weight (I'm trying!). He said I should be fine on that dosage, especially if I take it with a meal. So that's what I'm doing. Everytime I start a new med I really worry about D as a side effect!

Thanks for the tip on the eye exam. I wasn't sure how intense it would be and was planning on driving myself and then heading to work directly after (about a 50 minute drive). I'll make plans for it now!

#254722 - 03/27/06 10:02 AM
lalala

Quote:

Maria-

I am glad that you finally got some answers. I know that Lupus is not something anyone wants to hear they have but when I did some researching on it when they were testing me I found out that it is very managable and you can live a pretty normal life with it. This is what I've been hearing and reading too. It does make me feel very hopeful! Not only that there are some great medicaitons out there to help with it. *hugs and prayers* for you my friend. You have always been such a strong and positive person that I know you will handle this well. Thank you!

Re: LJ/Laura new
      #254724 - 03/27/06 10:07 AM
lalala

I'm so glad you replied. Are you taking anything other than Aleve? I've tried to keep busy, but there have been so many days that I couldn't even get out of bed or fully wake up or even move comfortably. But I have had some good days too! Those days are great! I'm really hoping the Plaquenil provides some more relief.

How often do you have to check in with your rheumy and get retested?

Take care, Laura!

Re: Stephie new
      #254725 - 03/27/06 10:08 AM
lalala

Thank you so much, Stephie! *Hugs* to you too!

Re:((HUGS))... new
      #254736 - 03/27/06 10:16 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

I'm sorry. But like you said, at least you know what it is now. I hope the treatments work for you! take it easy...

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Re: Thanks, Michele! new
      #254737 - 03/27/06 10:16 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

No problem. I doubt you will want to go to work after that eye exam though! I had an awful headache and felt terrible afterwards! Luckily, I only work 5 minutes from the eye dr I went to but I wasn't able to do much at all that day! If you can take the day off, I would!

I also take 200mg twice a day, one in the am and one at bedtime!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12464

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review