All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Abusive Relationship? (Long)
      #254122 - 03/23/06 10:11 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I apologize for making two posts, but both I felt were important, because I am not comfortable speaking with anybody, friends, family, other than my therapist, and I only get so much time with him a week, and I only began recently.

Refresh. I am 22, male, in college.

Have any of you ever had this happen?

I got this controlling roomate, I choose to live with.
We got some things in common, the gym and hockey being two of them.
He has a gf.
I basically am with him all the time.
He at least has a break with his gf.
It stinks.
I notice when I go away from for a few days, I feel better, my head is clearer, and I want to hang out with him.

Then, within a few days of going back to the same old same old, the same stuff returns.
I lose interest in things I used to like.
I get stressed out.
I can't think for myself.

We went to Montreal over break.
I hated it.

I couldn't get into the game.
I was there but everything felt like a blah.

My biggest porblems are, I can't get interested in things I used to, I feel I can't speak up and my opinion, but most of the time, I don't know what my opinion is.
I can't think for myself, everything is a blah, I don't what I want, what I am doing, if I am doing it because I like it, he likes it, or we both do.
I'm stressed and not enjoying anything.

Funny thing is when I get a break for him or get my own life, things get better.
So I wanted to know, what do you think is going on, and what I can do so I am me again.

It honsetly feels like someone has "hacked" into my brain.
I feel brainwashed and controlled.
I don't feel in the mood to even watch hockey or hang out with others.
Yet this inversely varies.

The longer I have been with him, the greater this phneomuea is, the shorter, the better it is.

Take Sunday for example.
I'm going to the gym with him. On the bus over, I bring up I like the VW Jetta. We get into a discussion about cars.
He is so the Abercrombie and Fitch poster boy.
He cares all about style, muscles, having top of the line clothes to show off.
We get into an debate about cars.
I tell him I place more value on reliability.
He starts in about how looks are mor eimportant.
Big deal right?
Well yeh, because you see ever since I became with friends with him last spring, I've been too scared to be speak up to him for fear he won't be friends with me.
Well this time, after months of hating everything and thinking it's because I'm miserable, I came to the realization it's not me, I hate everything because I am tired of walking on egg shells and not being able to be myself.
So instead of doing the usually, saying you're right I agree with you, I stand by my opinion.

I do not cuss or get personal at all like I have done on here. I simply respectfully disagree.
Well I knew what was coming.
He didn't like it.
He kept going at with me.
Then we get upstairs to lift.
He is still angry, and stomps out saying he is so flustered he is going to go run.
He comes back in five minutes, we workout, he doesn't talk me.
Once the workout is over, he then talks to me.
I was going to go watch the NCAA game, he was going to run.
It was halftime, and he nicely talks with me, asks me to get him a sandwich while he runs.
I decide I would do him a favor since it was the break.
I then watch the game, I see my old school winning.

He comes downstairs.
Then he starts making fun of my old school.
I don't care, I like banter back and fourth, it's fun, as long as it's not personal.
I jokingly make comments about his old school, he gets angry.
His face gets angry and then he starts making personal comments to me.
I make some back to him, then he starts hitting me.
He has done this before to me in the gym, and not wanting to make a scene, I ignore it.
I know if I don't ingore it, he will go on and on.
He is an only child, and can not handle ANY crtisisms and can not take any negativivity back to him, so I knew he'd get like this.
I decide, I am not taking his BS any longer.
I hit him back, he keeps hitting me, I hit him, and then it gets harder.
Then, he leaves, doesn't even say thanks.

We both live together, we choose to.
BIG MISTAKE.
He comes that night, Sunday, doesn't talk.

On MOnday, he calls, asks to go to the gym.
I didn't want to, but I did because I wanted a spot for chest and the time was conveinent.
I was tired of taking it from him, so when I meet him there, I thought it was important to tell him not to get phsyical like that in public or anywhere again.

In the past, when I've told him not to, his response always has been that I run my mouth, I piss him off, it's my fault.
Now, I know on here I would run my mouth, but with this kid, hardly.
I hardly ever disagree with him, because I know when I do, he'll make a big stink like a spoiled, single, only child.
I don't insult or cuss, I simply don't agree with him, and he can't that.
He does not have many friends, he has a girlfriend who he is obsessed with, he sleeps with everynight, text messages 100 times a day.
His friends are all back home, and a year younger than him, or they are girls.
Why?
Because he is a control freak who won't hang out unless he is in charge.

Let me give you a good example.
A month ago, he had a disagreement with his girlfriend, during which she got dressed and tried to leave the premise.

On Tuesday, we both in the fall signed a contract with a real estate firm to help us find an apartment.
The fee was 300 dollars, but if we found one without their services, we would get out money back.
I got notice today we weren't getting our money back.
I likely will take them to court, but I asked him if he was going to pay his half should we not get anything in return.

He avoided the question, then said he shouldn;t.
I did pressure or put him on the spot to sign, and he did sign his name to the contract, but he likes to pressure and push others which gives him no position to complain.
He could have said no, but he didn't, so he should pay, it was his choice.

He continued to say no.
I told him if he doesn't pay, I will not give him money for the gas bill, which is under his account.
Since then, he has locked himself into his room with his girlfriend, not called me, not asked to go the gym, not talked to me.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Abusive Relationship? (Long) new
      #254123 - 03/23/06 10:14 PM
Naturapanic

I apolgoize for the length, but I had a lot to say.

I did not include how, in the gym he slapped me back in the fall several times.
Also, in the winter, we had a disagreement in the gym, he spoke his side, then when it came time for me to speak, his gf came, it was not 1-1 but 1 against 2, when I tried to speak, she got upset we were arguing, and he then pushed me in public claiming me running my mouth was to blame for everything even though I didn't get a chance to speak my side.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

For your own sake...please find another room-mate or live alone! new
      #254131 - 03/24/06 05:52 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

This sounds strange, dangerous and unhealthy.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

I had a similar situation..sort of new
      #254139 - 03/24/06 06:18 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

..when i was in college in 1st year I was put in a house with strangers and we all got along great. One of the girls was in all the same classes as me and I found it hard to spend so much time with her. She became very controlling and critical of my life and my habits etc (eg I am very untidy, she is very very very tidy). I helped her a lot with coursework and once I found that she had gone into my room when I wasn't there and taken my revision notes that I had taken ages and ages to prepare, I was furious.

The following year I lived with her for 6 months and then we went away on placement from college. I vistited her and had an OK weekend. When we shared the house I spend a lot of time away from the house and I chose to study in college because she studied at home. I realised that I was avoiding her.

In third year I chose not to live with her. My mental health improved enormously. I felt like I could be myself and not be criticised at everything I do.

We are not in touch anymore, even though we still have some mutual friends.

"Breaking up" with her happened naturally but we let it, it's never easy. I worked on other relationships while I was still living with her so that I was able for the natural break and had other people to hang out with.

Oddly, about four years after this, with various friends having "broken up" with her, some more publicly than others, one person told her straight out about how manipulative she is, how controlling etc. She ended up very upset but realising all the hurt that she had caused. Many of us felt that we did her a disservice by not telling her years ago about all these things.

See, this is long too, but my advice is to (a) not move in together again (b) Don't spend all your time in the house with him (c) Trying to pursue relationships with other friends on a one to one too. (d) don't agree to go on trips with him (e) talk to someone neutral (does your school have Counsellors?) about this and try to get your head fully around it.

I saw your other post too, so I see that you are trying to do some of the above, so do try to stick with it.

--------------------
S.

Re: I had a similar situation..sort of new
      #254147 - 03/24/06 07:01 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sounds like a physco guy I dated once who I ended up taking a restraining order out on! Seriously, this is not a healthy relationship and I think you'd do much better without him in your life.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: I had a similar situation..sort of new
      #254217 - 03/24/06 12:18 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks to all of you for your support.
I really do need to talk about this.
I am in therapy and have begun to talk about this there, but that is the only place and person I talk to.

I am too embarassed and afraid to tell my parents and other friends, besides one who doesn't even go to the school any longer.
Most of my friends are shared friends with him, and I am afriad of starting a war if I did share my tail.
The goal is to help me, not to make a drama scene.
But I tell you, sometimes I get so anger from this, I mean super anger, it would would help to talk about it and vent or have somebody to listen.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

You can always vent here. new
      #254226 - 03/24/06 12:51 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

we'll listen It's great that you are talking about it in therapy, that will help you clear your head on it.

--------------------
S.

Re: You can always vent here. new
      #254250 - 03/24/06 01:45 PM
Naturapanic

Yes, I just wish it could be longer, because I have so much to say, and I worry that it is going to be a long time before I am better, or up to speed, or I might have a relapse, you see I worry a lot.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Abusive Relationship? (Long) new
      #254253 - 03/24/06 01:59 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You said it yourself. This BOY is a spoiled brat plain and simple. It has to be his way or no way. Move out ASAP. It sounds like he needs to keep someone on a leash to make himself feel better about himself - I think he has some real problems and insecurities. They're NOT your problem.
I had a roommate in university I lived with and hated. She was a single child - spoiled princess and expected us to clean up after her. GAG ME!!! I really hate it when people think they're better than others.
Move out. You deserve better than this. As for your friends, they'll still be your friends after all of this if they are TRUE friends. If they aren't, they weren't in the first place. Surely they must see what a jerk this guy is!???

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

i had an abusive roommate too a few years back new
      #254256 - 03/24/06 02:02 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

it was like everything was a competition, everything had to be a discussion....she knew everything about everything..i realized later she was VERY toxic...it was like i loved her but hated her. and sometimes i wanted to smash her head in the wall...and others she was my best friend, and understood everything so well.

she was always sarcastic with me, and after a while it started to get weary on me...then i started getting mean back...she'd left her husband and thats why we moved in together, then she was getting back with him, but started sleeping with her personal trainer (which i didn't care, but her son who was 3 at the time was in the hospital with cronic illnesses...on what we thought was his death bed...and she was sleeping with this dude i knew was a joke..who i later worked with, becuase i became a trainer as well..and he was a horrible guy to know)

anyway, he sounds like he's controlling...and that really sucks that he's like that, it makes living with somemone very difficult, i moved out of my living situation within about 2 months, becuase my old roommate was not only abusive and very jealous..if i'd talk to other people or go to someone else's house...but she was i think boarderline insane..no joke...

but if you can afford it, and not in a lease (i was in a lease at the apartments we lived at, but the managers didn't like her either, and let me out of it) i'd find another roommate, it's toxic, and i can totally understand wanting to be around your friend, even though it can be torture sometimes. i had to live with my mom for about 2 or 3 weeks, then got MY OWN place, and loved it! it was a studio, with a fireplace, and my daughter and i were very happy there!! it was a nice calm change!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 957 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2341

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review