All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HELP, my DIL is having strange symptoms........
      #253793 - 03/22/06 02:52 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

This isn't an IBS question but just wanted to know if anyone here has experienced anything similar.

My DIL for the last couple of weeks has been dizzy. She went to the doc and the doc took a blood test and thought it could be thyroid or Anemia or Inner ear problem.

Then a few days later her head started twitching involuntarily. Only for a couple of minutes at a time but several times an hour only when sitting not laying down. This completely freaked my son out so he took her to the ER. The ER doc said it was anxiety and wouldn't do any tests even though my son asked for a CAT scan or MRI to make sure it wasn't serious. Anyway all they could do at that time was go home with anxiety meds.

Then Monday she went to her doc again and she was finally sent for an MRI. I gotta tell you I was so stressed out till we got the results because I thought it could possibly be a brain tumor. Anyway, the MRI came back fine. Otherwise she is feeling fine, maybe a mild headache sometimes and fatigue. She will see a neurologist Friday.

Anyone had any similar experiences to share? Please let me know.

Thanks Barbie

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP, my DIL is having strange symptoms........ new
      #253799 - 03/22/06 03:32 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I am no doctor and the twitchy thing is strange...make sure your DIL is drinking plenty of water. Dehydration can often make you dizzy...is she eating properly?

Of course going to a nuerologist is best...Friday isn't too far away. I will say a prayer!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#253819 - 03/22/06 05:13 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Sorry you're stressed, Barbie. I think she's doing the right thing by going to the neurologist -- hopefully she can insist that they figure out the problem. Twitching is definitely scary. I'll keep her in my prayers!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#253822 - 03/22/06 05:30 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I agree with everyone else. Seeing a neurologist is the best thing. I will keep her in my prayers.

Prayers for your DIL, you seem like such a wonderful MIL, btw !! let us hear... nt new
      #253848 - 03/22/06 07:22 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#253926 - 03/23/06 08:14 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yes, I agree, have her see the neurologist. I have anxiety attacks from time to time and they have never caused twitching, shaking yes but not twitching. I'll keep her in my thoughts and hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#253952 - 03/23/06 08:53 AM
BethE

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: Syracuse, NY

Been there, living with it myself....

I have twitches (fasciculations) with myoclonic (seizure) activity, and was recently run through the gauntlet of tests (MRI, EKG, Nerve Conduction & EMG, ...).

It can be anything, from the really bad stuff people think of, to what I have - benign fasciculation syndrome. There are a lot of causes of twitching out there, including too much caffiene, vitamin defficiencies (B-12 is common),and heredity.

The best thing is for her to go see a neurologist, and he/she can help figure out what it is. Most of the tests are painless, and a good neurologist will take the time for a full medical history/ neuro workup before issuing tests.

Best of luck to her and you - it may be relatively painless, but its still very stressful.

FYI - One common cause of head twitching is called Essential Tremor. This is benign, inheritable, and treated easily by avoiding things like caffeine, stress, etc.

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Hey Barbie! new
      #253953 - 03/23/06 08:56 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Sorry to hear that your DIL is having this trouble, and very thankful to hear you had a normal MRI reading and have the neurologist set up.

My oldest son was diagnosed with idiopathic seizure disorder last year. I say this not to scare you, but seizures can begin at any age for no reason. The twitching you mentioned...if it was sort of rhythmic...lasting under 3 minutes..sometimes under a minute...well you can't rule out seizures. There are great meds available with fewer side effects these days, so don't worry if it turns out to be seizure related.

Please keep us posted. We will keep you and your family in our prayers as you sort this out.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Prayers for you all Barbie! -nt- new
      #253961 - 03/23/06 09:40 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Thanks so much Beth...... new
      #254008 - 03/23/06 12:58 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Beth,

Thanks so much. Your information has really been helpful.

I have been doing research on the net and did find Essential Tremor and that seemed to fit her symptoms.

Do you also have some dizziness? How long have you had these symptoms? Is there any meds you're taking to help?

The doc did say it could be caused by stress and she is on Ativan and a muscle relaxer. Actually the last two days she's been twitch-free! She is going to the Neurologist tomorrow so I'm sure we will find out more then. I guess my main concern was a brain tumor and since the MRI came back OK I feel much better.

Thanks for the support and I would appreciate any other info you have that would be beneficial.

Barbie

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 386 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1763

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review