All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: for the religious church-going people new
      #253899 - 03/23/06 05:26 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I don't think you should feel bad for looking for a church that feels right to you. When my husband and I got married, we starting going to the nearest catholic church (we are both catholic) and it ended up that we liked it a lot. But I would have been willing to try a nearby one if it didn't click. I wanted the church to be a part of our life so I wanted to make the right choice. I think a church is one place that you shouldn't ever feel like a stranger or outsider, or unworthy.
I would sort of consider myself metropolitan and liberal too, but for some reason that all goes away when I go to church, and I just feel like part of the community. Especially now that we are having a baby I am glad we found a good place. I think our kids will probably go to school there too, so I'm excited about that.
Anyway, I hope you find a church you feel comfortable with, and in any case I think it's a good idea to try. What does your husband think? Or are you the "thinker" in this marriage, ha ha. (I know I always overthink things and my husband just goes with the flow.)

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Beth, we lived here almost a year before we settled on a church... new
      #253903 - 03/23/06 05:49 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I don't believe in "church hopping" either but I do believe that you need to feel comfortable with the person giving the sermon and leading the congregation. Along with the fact that you need to feel comfortable with the parish people. At our old church there were no little ones and we always got dirty looks from the people (inlcuding the priest) when Noah made noise during the service. Too me that is not welcoming or comforting. But now we are in a parish that has many young families and the priest will comment on the young ones that might be talking out in church by saying "I believe they have something to add!"

An important and proper thing to consider! new
      #253904 - 03/23/06 06:09 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I've just finished reading this thread, and I feel like you have been given sound answers from all...pray about it, visit a church that holds to the doctrine you are led in...and God will place you exactly where you should be!

We have visited many churches and currently travel quite a great distance to attend a church that we feel comfortable that God has led us too. It is a search process of sorts, but you have the BEST guide to lean on during the process! Let us know how things turn out!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Thanks everyone! new
      #253933 - 03/23/06 08:29 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I'm thinking we will probably give the Lutheran church 20 min away a shot first ... our kids (if we ever have them!) will be going to school in that town, so it would make more geographic sense. If that one doesn't feel right then we'll start trying other churches, probably in order by geographic proximity. I just don't know how long to give a church before giving up. I don't think it's probably as easy as "knowing" as soon as you walk in the door. So I guess I will see what happens! Thanks again.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#253934 - 03/23/06 08:31 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

nope, we are planning to be here for quite some time. (by mutual choice.)

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#253967 - 03/23/06 09:59 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hi Jen, the best way to find a church you will be happy in is to visit different ones until you find the one you love
!
Not only does the pastor, preacher,...., make a huge part in your decision, so does the congregation. You must always pray about each and every one first. For the Lord will show you where you need to be.

Then again, you could find yourself in a church and ask the Lord, Why am I here?, and feel so out of place, if it is his will, he will show you! I hope you understand my wording, it is not always the best.

I know you will find the right place, pray about it every day! I will say a prayer for you also.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 314 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1012

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review