All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Tired. Fatigued. Ideas?
      #253246 - 03/20/06 02:57 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Between the fibro and the meds I take...I often find myself too out of it to drive and to do daily things (like cook and clean). I'm wondering if anyone has any tips?

What do you do when you're tired and you need a pick-me-up?

No caffeine (not EVER as it is bad for more than just my IBS) not even a bit of chocolate! No sugar either. It will have to come from another source.

Thanks for any info./advice *hugs*

Love,

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tired. Fatigued. Ideas? new
      #253256 - 03/20/06 04:08 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hugs, Sarah! I'm tired a lot too. It's the OCD/Bipolar meds. I asked my Doc. I explained to him that I drag through days with my babies home, nap, sleep all night and am still tired, and then sleep all weekend. He said nothing. HELLO!!!

I've started taking vitamins again to make sure I'm not deficient in anything.

PS - I wanted to tell you I got a medic alert bracelet. On my med info sheets it said that my meds can interact with a lot of things and I should have one - so I did! You should look into it. They're about $40 - for the peace of mind - well worth it. On the back it says OCD, Bipolar and has a hotline number that provides emergency contacts plus a list of my meds. I can change the info anytime. Something to think about!
Love you XOXO
A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I was also going to suggest vitamins/nutrients in whatever form you can tolerate. Hugs to you BOTH! new
      #253267 - 03/20/06 04:46 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

I don't know if I'll be much help.... new
      #253270 - 03/20/06 04:53 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

I suffer too but have found that if I force myself to get out for a walk everyday, it gives me a little energy. The dr told me to exercise regularly to help with it, so walking is my exercise of choice, maybe something else for you? I do still tend to nap a lot though. Sorry I'm not more help, but big *HUGS* are coming your way....

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#253277 - 03/20/06 05:38 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Protein, maybe? I don't know how much protein you eat on a daily basis, but I know that my energy level really slags if I don't eat a LOT of protein... I'm talking... a significant amount with EVERY meal, at least. And I remember back when I had mono, my doctor really stressed getting A LOT of protein, to the point where I was eating pasta enriched with soy and things like that, so it really might help.

Hmm. I don't know... I'll keep thinkin'!

Can you take B vitamins? new
      #253281 - 03/20/06 05:46 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Specifically B12? I know that B12 is one of the main ingredients in the Energy Extract stuff my fibro doctor has me on. It really helps with the fatigue for me....in fact I can't take them after mid-afternoon or else I have problems sleeping!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

I agree, Alicia. new
      #253286 - 03/20/06 06:25 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Meds. really tire you out. My anti-convulsant dose has been raised and I'm totally worn out. So, Sarala, this is normal!

Kate.

Re: Chronic fatigue new
      #253370 - 03/21/06 08:00 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

How well do you sleep at night?? If you are not getting enough of the restorative sleep at night, nothing is going to help! Otherwise, I agree, the b-6 and b-12 vits and lots of protien and be sure to drink your water!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Ladies on meds...vitamins... new
      #253394 - 03/21/06 09:01 AM
Snow for Sarala

what do you when you can't drive? My husband can't drive without me in the car and I have to be awake enough to watch the lights (he has vision issues)...I NEED to be able to get groceries and stuff (esp now he is working late nights so it's all on my shoulders!) Do you have aby suggestions? The doc DID mention it could be the meds btw...

I cannot take vitamins other than a select few due to my interstitial cystitis. So no B Vitmains.

Thank you soooooooo much for the help everyone! Keep thinking for me *hugs*

Love,

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#253395 - 03/21/06 09:02 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Although not much helps, I find that doing some light stretching or going for a quick walk outside makes me feel a bit better.

Hugs, Sarala!

Melissa...I LOVE this pic of you and Mac! *hugs* n-t new
      #253398 - 03/21/06 09:11 AM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#253399 - 03/21/06 09:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

I'm gonna try a quick walk in a few, thanks *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#253400 - 03/21/06 09:13 AM
Snow for Sarala

Protein? Really? Ok...it's certainly worth a shot. Thanks! *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#253403 - 03/21/06 09:15 AM
Snow for Sarala

I get about 12 hours a night! It doesn't seem like anything is enough. I'm really beginnign to think it's the meds I take. I just wish I knew what to do about these sleepies! They're awful

Thanks for the advice *hugs* I hope you have Harley back by now btw?

Love,

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Don't know how to help... new
      #253413 - 03/21/06 09:21 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...but wanted to offer you some support and hugs, sweetie.

Have you talked to your doctor? Is this a normal reaction to the drugs? Are there alternative drugs that don't have this sleepy effect...or at least as severe?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#253433 - 03/21/06 10:03 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

It doesn't matter so much the quanity of sleep your getting, its the QUALITY of sleep! Even though I was in bed for 12 hours a night, I didn't sleep much of it and I slept so lightly that I never felt rested. Will used to always complain about me jerking in my sleep as well. The Zanaflex (muscle relaxer) is really helping with this and now I sleep 7 maybe 8 hours but feel 10times as rested as I did before!

I've also noticed that when you post what you eat on the exercise board, that you don't eat much at all!! Your body needs calories and some fat to function! I know you have issues with a lot of foods but maybe if you try to add in some extra carlories, that might give you a bit of energy also! Love and Hugs!
P.S Harley is home and doing well! He's napping at my feet as I type this!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Ladies on meds...vitamins... new
      #253450 - 03/21/06 10:39 AM
Wind

Okay, note that certain meds. do interfere with absorption of certain vitamins, especially those B's! Be careful of anemia,
B-6/folic acid deficiency & B 12. I've had all of the above and felt worse than seagull poop splatter. Also, hydration is a huge factor (sodium/potassium--your basic electrolytes). My doc. gives me big time lectures if my sodium/potassium levels are low, so...I've got to eat the veggies. Also, make sure you get enough minerals. It's hard not to get enough protein in this part of the world, so...don't worry too much about that. B12 shots, though made a huge difference in my energy/life. I don't absorb it from food for some bizzarre inexplicable reason. I had no stores when tested. The B vitamins do make a difference in your brain function.

Re: driving. Your best bet is to be hyper-organized when you shop. Is delivery an option? Do you have friends or people from your religious circles who can take you along on certain days when they shop? Someone in your building? Keeping lots of ready to go frozen foods helps, too, I guess.

I guess organization is the key here if getting out to shop is limited. You need to anticipate your needs for a specific period of time. I do understand. I only really go out food shopping once a week. Indeed I hate food shopping.
But, I understand that you cannot just "zip" out and "pick something up" spontaneously or at the last minute & that this is totally frustrating & depressing because well...there is a certain "fun" in just being out and well...interfacing/interacting.

Kate.

#253454 - 03/21/06 10:46 AM
Wind

Oh, I totally hear you on the 12 hours not feeling like enough. Since my tegretol has been increased I am SO BAGGED, that there are morbid moments when I feel you may as well toe-tag me, lol! Sometimes it's hard enough to get up enough energy to eat or take a shower. BUT I DO IT. I agree on the "go out for a stroll" solution or yoga/stretching--nothing major. Mostly I just pick up the mail just to get some fresh air. If I feel up to driving I'll grab a java, etc. I make lots of "dates" with friends to just "hang."

If fruits/veggies agree with you, eat lots of them because you will feel energized. I've started herb gardening again just for the high that watching things grow and smelling them pro-offers.

Stockpile books, magazines...put on the tunes...this will alter your energy field enormously. I suspect that you are surrounded by too much silence and the silence will put you straight to sleep.

I babble. I guess...I know how you feel, Sarala.

Kate.

#253455 - 03/21/06 10:49 AM
Wind

Oh this is bad, Michele. It's almost 2 o'clock in the afternoon & all I've eaten is black coffee, sugarless gum, and now mint tea. Okay, time to look in the fridge. No more avoidance. I'm having a sleepy bummed day--better wake up that brain with nutritional information.

Kate.

I know ALL about this... new
      #253456 - 03/21/06 10:51 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

so first I want to say I feel for you. Being so fatigued you can't drive and perform daily tasks is just awful!!

As you probably know from my posts I have been so tired I have fallen asleep at the wheel. What I have been doing is light exercise (stretching), increasing water intake, and a decent bedtime (7-8 hours of sleep at least).

All that has helped but the biggest improvement is from the Energy Extract pills I have been taking which Nelly told me about. They are by no means a cure for the fatigue but they help considerably, I am able to function during the day. They are kinda expensive though! I paid like 50 bucks for a month's supply.

Hope you get relief soon!!

HUGS,

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#253460 - 03/21/06 11:10 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

when I was falling asleep at the wheel the doc prescribed me provigil, they give it to pilots to keep them awake. It does work but I would get a migraine by the end of the day.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

I'll have to talk to my doc about provigil, thanks Christie *hugs* n-t new
      #253462 - 03/21/06 11:20 AM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#253465 - 03/21/06 11:26 AM
Snow for Sarala

I wish I could try B Vitamins. Atm I cannot as I am flaring from the IC and I have t try things when I'm not in a flare. Vitmains are often major triggers for many people...esp. B Vit. so I'm scared to try em but I may end up trying them eventually anyway.

Thanks for the advice and support Kate *hugs* How are you doing on the new med dose these days?

Sending you lots of love,

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#253466 - 03/21/06 11:29 AM
Snow for Sarala

Well, I took your advice. I'm going out tonight with some friends! I plan to nap first but I'm gonna go and if I sleep oh well (it's a lecture...a religious one..and I'm totaly psyched to be going!!)

I def notice fresh air helps. And yes...there is wAY too much silence around me. Some noise might just help

Thanks again *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#253467 - 03/21/06 11:31 AM
Snow for Sarala

I'm glad you have Harley back!

You're right...if the sleep isn't goos sleep it doesn't matter. Quality over quantity. And with fibro it's soo hard to know if it's the meds or the fibro making me so Zonked!

I'm glad they found something to help your muscles relax. Do you have RLS?

Sending you lots of love,

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Don't know how to help... new
      #253470 - 03/21/06 11:34 AM
Snow for Sarala

The only alternative is to switch meds and start all over. Not what you want to do when it takes months to find something that works

I apreciate the love ans support. It might not wake me up but it sure does make a girl feel good

I love you!

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

ReDo pharmacies in the US deliver? new
      #253481 - 03/21/06 12:12 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03

They do in Canada. You just call up and ask for what you want and they deliver it. Even prescriptions.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#253489 - 03/21/06 12:40 PM
Wind

I cannot take B vitamins either--they make me really nauseated and I vomit. Plus, they leave this horrible aftertaste that won't leave me for 3 days!

I'm mostly more tired, like you. My vision isn't blurry. My pupils are really dilated & I 'm light sensitive. I have a weird kind of focussing problem which makes reading for long periods of time challenging. The initial major nausea phase is over, though. So...I live a lazy leisurely life--what can I say? I guess my balance when walking is a little drunken or drugged appearing. I guess, I'm not blinking enough or spaced out seeming. Does this sound familiar? Are you more clumsy/awkward? Do you "space" out really easily, too?

Kate.

Way to go, Snow! new
      #253492 - 03/21/06 12:46 PM
Wind

Snow, way to go! Actually, I do that kind of stuff all the time--more for the "going" than the topic--more for the hanging out and getting out & beyond myself--for the fun, the play, the sounds...

I spend too much time in solitude. I suspect that you do too. I live like a bird in a cage with wings but no feathers. It's nothing for me to go for days without speaking, even, if I'm not careful. My life--a silent movie. I'll be silly and think in "bubble thoughts" and captions somedays. When I'm old, I will be incorrigible. So long as I don't smell of mothballs.

Kate.

#253507 - 03/21/06 01:12 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

hello, unfortunately, I will not be too much help however, I have read that getting more than 9 hours of sleep maximum per night actually makes you feel more tired, and less rested than getting a regular 7-9 hours per night. I'm not sure why, but its something about the rhythms etc. I'd look it up, I think there is some sense to it. Sometimes I feel better on 8hours then I do on 10 or 11.

--------------------

An idea... new
      #253527 - 03/21/06 01:56 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I'm sorry to hear this. The only thing I can think of it maybe b12? Nelly has had some luck with it. I saw an ad in "Health" magazine for b12 strips (like those Listerine strips) that give you an immediate boost of energy. I'll look a google...

Ya, here you go.

http://www.jamiesonvitamins.com/product_item.asp?UPCCode=2777

Re: B12 and anemia new
      #253529 - 03/21/06 02:03 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06

Hi,
A lot of people have suggested B12. This will only help if in fact you are anemic.If you aren't, it won't really help the fatigue. See http://www.baptisteast.com/recipes/boosting.cfm or google "B12 fatigue". I would suggest getting a blood test for anemia if you haven't already.

I used to have really bad fatigue until I got my iron levels up. However I still don't feel I'm at a normal level in terms of being tired all the time. And I too sleep up to 12 hours solid good sleep a night!

I'll be reading all of these replies/suggestions for sure.
Goodluck,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#253547 - 03/21/06 03:22 PM
Snow for Sarala

Hi Kat!

I love your pic

Well, my mom is anemic but I have been tested and I'm not (at least as of a few months ago). I suppose it's possible for the meds I'm on to make me anemic? I get my blood checked on my new med in a week or so so I'll know better what's going on with my blood work then

Thanks for the link and the info. *hugs* How are you feeling these days?

Love,

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: An idea... new
      #253548 - 03/21/06 03:27 PM
Snow for Sarala

Well, vitmain B-12 is a big no for ICfrom what I've read. Right now I'm in a major IC flare so I will have to wait until it'sd over to try something that could make things worse But I will def keep it in mind *hugs*

P.S. I LOVE that pic of you and Tommy gambling! Hope you got my e-mail about it;)

Love you!

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Way to go, Snow! new
      #253550 - 03/21/06 03:33 PM
Snow for Sarala

It will def be good to get out! LOL I don't do this often...but I seem to be on a kick. Hubby and I went out for Shabbos this past week instead of sitting at home together on Friday night. Being at home together is nice...but it's also nice to go out and be with other couples!

Thanks for understanding and for your support! I think it's great that you are making it out too more often. Aren't lectures fun? Do you go to literary events?

Thanks again for the encouragement *hugs*

Love,

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#253553 - 03/21/06 03:41 PM
Snow for Sarala

I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not but I'm on Depakote now. And yes I DO have a really hard time concentrating for long periods. I do get blurry eyes (but I've heard that can be from fibro?) and no nausea at all. Just major fatigue. Oh and I got this really weird thing with my legs where they would go all stiff and I couldn't move them (from the geodon). It seems to be ok now that we scattered the times I take the meds about instead of me taking it all in one dose! LOL

How long have you been on the new dose? Do yout hink it will get better over time or do you just have to livwe with it?

*hugs*

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#253554 - 03/21/06 03:47 PM
Snow for Sarala

You know I've wondered about that. I'll have to consider getting less sleep and see how I do. Good idea Dr. Spice How are you doing these days? How are the interviews going? *hugs*

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: ReDo pharmacies in the US deliver? new
      #253555 - 03/21/06 03:50 PM
Snow for Sarala

I know that there are places in the US that do deliver perscriptions...but WalGreens isn;'t one of them (and that's what we use). Thank G-d it's not too far away otherwise I don't know what we'd do

Thanks for being here for me Alicia...it means a lot *hugs*

P.S. I owe you an e-mail...

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Walgreens new
      #253556 - 03/21/06 03:54 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I think you can get your prescriptions through the mail through Walgreens. Check the website or ask at your local store. I also get my prescriptions at Walgreens and was told I could sign up for this service online. I haven't done it yet since it's just down the road from where I live. Walgreens Mail Order Pharmacy (link)

Re: Walgreens new
      #253578 - 03/21/06 06:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

Wow, this is really cool, thanks! *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Hey Snow.... new
      #253611 - 03/21/06 08:26 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hello..

I would definitly look into it a bit. I have heard multiple times that too much sleep is actually a bad thing. I know i've read it in Self magazine if that helps (maybe you can search the magazine website and find info)

Anyways.. thanks for askinga bout me. Things are going well.. this last year of school is FLYYYYYYING by. its kinda crazy almost. The interviews are coming in. I had a really promising interview in Maryland that I am actually quite interested in. I have a few more in boston as well. I'm sure i'll be on here in a few weeks asking for advice about what to do depending on if i'm offered the MD job!

--------------------

Re: An idea... new
      #253659 - 03/22/06 08:05 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Ok, if it's a no then steer clear.

I will email you today!!!

Spice...that rocks! new
      #253681 - 03/22/06 08:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

Loads of interviews sounds GREAT!!!! Def. let us know what happens with MD and such. How;s the weather in MA these days? Still bitter?

Sending you good vibes all the way!

*huggles*

Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#253968 - 03/23/06 10:11 AM
K2

Thanks, I finally figured out how to get a picture on here! How do you put smiley faces inside a message?

I'm doing well. I'm in my last month of university which I have to say is the most stressful. Hoping when I finish I'll be able to calm down a bit and be less tired.
One more month..
Ttyl, Kat

--------------------
Kat

#257008 - 04/07/06 05:18 PM
K2

Hey, just wanted to clear a bit up here, since I'm no doc.. and I went to the doc and found out more.
I do have low B12 and yet my iron levels are fine. So it is possible, and low B12 can cause fatigue, depression, sores around the mouth, tingly hands/feet, and headaches.

Either way, both iron and B12 levels should be checked in a blood test. Not sure if you have gone yet, but next time you do ask your doc about it.

Sorry for any confusion!
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 585 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6588

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review