All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)
What's the difference between an athiest and... new
      #251488 - 03/10/06 03:27 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

a pagan and an agnostic? I've wondered this for some time. Please educate me!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: You're welcome, Michelle, and I'm proud of how it's turning out. new
      #251493 - 03/10/06 03:59 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Something I don't quite agree with you here is where you say your choices are your own. Everyone, regardless of religion makes their own choices, and good or bad, each choice has their own consequences. Forgivness is not a "get out of jail free" card, it is something much more deeper, and shouldn't be considered as a do-over. I also think a person's ethical behaviour is individual and not completely religion based.

So is the Torah the same as the Christians Old Testament?~nt~
      #251494 - 03/10/06 04:06 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: what I do...
      #251496 - 03/10/06 04:11 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I have been in a similair situation. For reasons like these we have Rabbis to interpret the laws and let us know when we can bend the law! This is a perfect example! The Law is that we should not carry on Shabbos without an Eruv (Avidan, can you expalin this?); however, for the needs of an ill person it is completely acceptiable and no Law is broken. I love it!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Wonderful posts! another Jew piping in..
      #251497 - 03/10/06 04:13 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I would love to know who your father is (e-mail me if you like!) That is sooo cool!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: What's the difference between an athiest and...
      #251500 - 03/10/06 04:31 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Athiests believe there is no higher being--

~nelly~

Re: eddie izzard
      #251501 - 03/10/06 04:32 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Executive transvestite!

~nelly~

Re: You're welcome, Michelle, and I'm proud of how it's turning out.
      #251503 - 03/10/06 04:40 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

That's true that everyone makes their own choices, but people with a religious book such as the bible or the Torah often base their choices off of what that book says or guidance from a spiritual leader. I have no book, I have no leader. I don't think that most religious people believe that forgiveness is a get out jail free card, but I do think there's a difference between focusing on the here and now as it is, and beliving in a heaven or afterlife. I never said that other people's ethics were completely religion based, just that mine are completely not.

Re: Lapsed Catholic here
      #251505 - 03/10/06 04:42 PM
Gracie

Something to consider about the church is that bills don't pay themselves. There are many valid expenses churches have to pay including education and taxes. The church also asks for donations to go to poor nations, missions, and charities.

Also, the church does not hate gay people - hate the sin, but love the sinner...they teach that "...men and women with homosexual tendencies 'must be accepted with respect, compassion and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided'." What is denied to them are "Access to marriage and the formation of sexually active committed non-marital relationships are not options that they consider open to gays and lesbians. The church teaches that persons with a homosexual orientation "are called, like other Christians, to live the virtue of chastity," and a life of loneliness and lack of sexual intimacy."

Now, the Church is a 2000 year old institution that does not waver or change with the seasons and fashions. Slowly there are changes being made, but there are many people who think it is too slow, and I think that comes from our society where we want instant gratification in just about everything in our lives. There are things where I think there may need some revision, but I will never turn my back on the church for it moving slow, a scandal, or because the pastor is considered a little boring and not as entertaining as another. I'm certainly not judging you Tommy or anyone else for their opinions, but to every opinion there is the flipside of the coin.

Re: You're welcome, Michelle, and I'm proud of how it's turning out.
      #251506 - 03/10/06 04:46 PM
Gracie

Thanks for the clarification chinagrl.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 338075

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review